August Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

August Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!

Postby rachel0017 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 pm

The winner of the $10 anniversary gift card, as chosen by random.org, is #9 - Tammey! Congratulations and thanks to everyone who played this month!

This past month has been one of great change for my family, from moving into a new home to saying goodbye to our beloved cat of 10 years. Therefore, I’m inspired to focus on the classic book regarding how to deal with change – Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson. Though this book tends to be used in more of a business setting than a personal one, I still think it applies here.

OPTION 1: Seasons of Change
Create a layout focusing on a major change you have experienced in your life. It can be a change that you didn’t have any control over, a change you chose, something big or something little. If it had an effect on your life, it qualifies.

OPTION 2: I Like Cheese
Though in the book the cheese is a metaphor, for Option 2, we’re going to take it literally. For this option, make a page about food. To qualify, the subject of the page/journaling/story must be food. Just having a photo of a food item does not count.

The Book Lover's Challenge turns 1 year old this month, so this month, you'll get a BONUS ENTRY if you do a page with a birthday focus. You'll have to get creative for this one to make sure your page also satisfies either Option 1 or Option 2 above, if you choose to do a birthday page, but I know you can do it! 

Sample page, highlighting a recent big change in our lives - the passing of our cat.

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due August 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $10 ACOT gift card from us (for this month only, to celebrate our birthday)!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. A RAK is awarded to a second winner if there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month.

Participants:
1. EmtAimee734
2. love2stamp
3. Retiree3
4. lissahope26
5. Donna_Coughlin
6. scrappinmom99
7. scrappinmom99 (bonus)
8. blfonty
9. Tammey
Last edited by rachel0017 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom

Layouts: 112

Re: August Book Lover's Challenge

Postby Yankeegirl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Very fun challenge.  Looking forward to completing it!
"Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects."

Kathy

Yankeegirl
Cherry Bing

Layouts: 801

Postby lissahope26 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:48 pm

I love your example.  So sorry about your kitty though.
Melissa H.

lissahope26
Cherry Berry

Layouts: 377

Postby sherelm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 am

I'm so sorry you lost your cat.  I have a friend with two elderly cats, vying back and forth who is the sickest.  They are 16 yo.  And she knows that the hard time is coming.

I love your challenge.  I am tempted to do a really hard page for #1, but I don't know if I can .   We'll see.

sherelm
Cherry Cropper

Layouts: 471

Postby 1scrappymom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 am

I love that book!  And I am NOT a fan of people moving my cheese!  I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat!  We lost our beloved beagle this year as well.  It's so hard.  That's really sweet they gave you the prints of her paw and whiskers.  So just to clarify - can the birthday be a change?  I was thinking about my daughter turning 21...that was a big change for both of us for sure.  
~Shannon
My Blog -->  blinnsblog

1scrappymom
Cherry Bing

Layouts: 350

Postby rachel0017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 am

1scrappymom wrote:I love that book!  And I am NOT a fan of people moving my cheese!  I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat!  We lost our beloved beagle this year as well.  It's so hard.  That's really sweet they gave you the prints of her paw and whiskers.  So just to clarify - can the birthday be a change?  I was thinking about my daughter turning 21...that was a big change for both of us for sure.  

Thanks for your well-wishes. Losing a pet is never easy, that's for sure, however, my older daughter (who is 6) is looking at the silver lining and already planning the next kitty we'll get! As for the challenge, yes, birthdays and change go perfectly together, so that will work just fine! Turning 21 is certainly a time of change!

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom

Postby rachel0017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am

sherelm wrote:I'm so sorry you lost your cat.  I have a friend with two elderly cats, vying back and forth who is the sickest.  They are 16 yo.  And she knows that the hard time is coming.

I love your challenge.  I am tempted to do a really hard page for #1, but I don't know if I can .   We'll see.

Thanks, Sher. Mostly, we were caught off guard by how quickly it all happened. She went downhill very fast. But, we already know we're going to have to get a new kitty soon, because the house is just too empty! I'll look forward to seeing what you do with this challenge!

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom

Postby rachel0017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am

lissahope26 wrote:I love your example.  So sorry about your kitty though.

Thanks, Melissa. We're finally at the point where we're starting to recover, and looking ahead to maybe getting a new kitty soon.

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom

Postby blbabe1234 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Rachel, I am truly sorry for the loss of your kitty. She was beautiful and know she's being well taken care of up on Rainbow Bridge. My kitty is up there with her. They'll be the best of friends! Along with my beautiful girls' Ruby and Bear, whom we said goodbye Dec 2016 and August 2015 (respectively). Many hugs!

I love your challenge. I can't wait to get started
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Layouts: 2512

Postby scrappinmom99 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Sweet kitty page (((Hugs))). It's never easy :( 

This is a great challenge! I can probably come up with ideas for both pages - let's see if I can come up with the time. This summer has been like a ton of bricks lol. I did just order 112 photos from DD's 11th bday party last December - we had a Harry Potter party and I have quite a few pics of the food table....we had Ollivander's wands, Hogs Head Cornish balls, Caldron Cakes, Elixir of Life, Polyjuice Potion etc etc LOL!!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

scrappinmom99
Cherry Bomb

Layouts: 549

Postby rachel0017 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:41 pm

scrappinmom99 wrote:Sweet kitty page (((Hugs))). It's never easy :( 

This is a great challenge! I can probably come up with ideas for both pages - let's see if I can come up with the time. This summer has been like a ton of bricks lol. I did just order 112 photos from DD's 11th bday party last December - we had a Harry Potter party and I have quite a few pics of the food table....we had Ollivander's wands, Hogs Head Cornish balls, Caldron Cakes, Elixir of Life, Polyjuice Potion etc etc LOL!!

Thanks for the hugs - we're finally starting to recover, I think! I CANNOT wait to see your HP food/birthday page. It sounds like it was amazing party! Wish I could have been there! 

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom

Postby rachel0017 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 pm

blbabe1234 wrote:Rachel, I am truly sorry for the loss of your kitty. She was beautiful and know she's being well taken care of up on Rainbow Bridge. My kitty is up there with her. They'll be the best of friends! Along with my beautiful girls' Ruby and Bear, whom we said goodbye Dec 2016 and August 2015 (respectively). Many hugs!

I love your challenge. I can't wait to get started

Thanks so much, Brandy. We, too, have a few other kitties romping around up there, and I love the idea that they're feasting on all the treats they can handle, and sleeping anywhere they like! I can't wait to see what you do with this challenge!

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom

Postby EmtAimee734 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

I'm sorry about your kitty :( Our pets are just like family. Praying for yall!
This is my life changing event.... my daughter is having a baby girl! Mia Rose is coming Sept 1 (or around there)!

EmtAimee734
Cherry Blossom

Layouts: 270

Postby love2stamp » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 am

I chose option #1

love2stamp
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Layouts: 529

Postby Retiree3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:45 am

I chose to do option 1.

[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

Retiree3
Cherry Cropper

Layouts: 2934

Postby lissahope26 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Option 2 combined with Animal.
Melissa H.

lissahope26
Cherry Berry

Layouts: 377

Postby Donna_Coughlin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Here is my entry, The journaling is about how much fun it was to take the cart golf over to the pool at Fort Wildnerness where they a fire going so we could make smores.

Donna_Coughlin
Cherry Blossom

Layouts: 87

Postby scrappinmom99 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:32 am

Here is my entry for Option 2: This is about my daughter's annual request for spaghetti and meatballs for her birthday dinner LOL! Girl loves her meatballs! ;)  I am still hoping to do the Harry Potter party food layout before the end of this month but we shall see! So I did manage to get food and birthday combined, and I managed to use a couple of ancient slide mounts for frames! :) This is also for the title challenge. 

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

scrappinmom99
Cherry Bomb

Layouts: 549

Postby blfonty » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Here's my layout - Brunch Bunch with photos snapped outside the Egg & I restaurant after a delicious 2-hour brunch with these beautiful ladies. This is one of our favorite places for brunch.

Also submitted to the August Cherry Lift Challenge.
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie
  ***Cherry Bomb***

blfonty
Cherry Bomb

Layouts: 442

Postby rachel0017 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:26 pm

EmtAimee734 wrote:I'm sorry about your kitty :( Our pets are just like family. Praying for yall!
This is my life changing event.... my daughter is having a baby girl! Mia Rose is coming Sept 1 (or around there)!

Wow! How exciting! Congratulations, that truly is a life changing event. I love how you included the photo of the ultrasound. Thanks for doing the challenge this month!

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom

Next

Return to Contests & Challenges

Free Newsletter
Inspiration. New Techniques.
Sales. Events.

Additional Options

Chat