Winter String Art Tutorial
Most people get at least a little giddy at the first snowflakes tumbling out of the sky, but let’s be honest, once we’re a few months into the knee-deep, freezing cold winter we just want to cozy up with a hot drink and write off any anything that requires bundling up and heading outside. You might have a few cleaning and organizing jobs that you’re dying to tackle, but just in case you’re feeling more crafty and less like working--we have the perfect DIY project for you!
If you haven’t heard of string art yet you are really missing out. It’s as simple as weaving string or yarn around a pattern of nails, but it transforms any design into an awesome piece of artwork and doesn’t take long to complete. You can create anything from hearts to logos to your dog’s portrait, but in the spirit of all things winter we have the perfect snowman idea for you.
Here’s everything you need to get started:
----> Also nails (any kind with a small head, 1 inch or smaller) and a hammer!
1) First, take your wooden plank and sketch out 2 snowmen (if you are having trouble you can find snowmen online to print, cut out, and trace). We did one of them bigger and one smaller, but you can do whatever sizes you’d like. Add a line across the bottom of your snowmen to act as the “snow” on the ground.
2) Grab your nails and hammer them into the wood, spacing them evenly around the edges of your snowmen and making sure they are each hammered in the same depth (not all the way into the wood - leave space to wrap the yarn around).
3) Now grab your white yarn, and starting from the left side of the wood, begin wrapping the nail on the “ground” followed by each nail around the edges of your first snowman. When the outline is complete, begin crossing the yarn between various nails to “fill in” the first snowman. Continue to any nails on the ground line between your snowmen, and then outline and fill in your second snowman. You will finish and tie off the white yarn on the right edge of your wood.
4) Every good snowman has a scarf, so next take your navy yarn and cut 2 pieces that are several inches long each. Tie them around 2 nails, or the “necks” of your snowmen, and make sure to leave an inch or two for the tails on each end.
5) We’re almost there! Use your glue to add a button onto each of your snowmen’s scarves, and then take a few more buttons to glue on for their hats. We used 5 buttons for the bigger snowman and 3 for the smaller one.
6) Finish off your craft by putting the “let it snow” winter stamp (or whichever saying you like best) onto your stamp block, ink it with the white ink pad, and add the words to the bottom of the wood.
You’re all finished! Now you have the perfect piece to make your home a little extra wintery, or, better yet, use it as a gift to brighten someone’s day! Happy crafting, and if you need the list of supplies once more, here they are:
Create this fabulous card with products from the Echo Park Love Story Collection.
In this video tutorial, you will learn how to create wine bottle gift tags. They make for a unique way to gift a bottle of wine to your friends, co-workers or loved ones during this Holiday Season, or anytime of year!
What you'll need:
Watch the instructional video:
Click here to find out how to submit
In this video tutorial, you will learn how to use these Washi Adhesive Sheets to alter a glass jar ...
In this paper crafting video, you can follow along with me to create a Fall themed 12"x12" scrapbook layout. I will be using Bella's "Finally Fall" collection, however this layout can be changed for any theme using any one of
View this video to preview the "Peaceful" Collection by Authentique:
Here is a video on various ways to use cardstock stickers and tags on cards ...
Here is a video on how to make a tag shaped card from any shaped tags ...
In this video, you will learn how to assemble these adorable owl pillow boxes - perfect for giving as gifts or party favors for almost any event!
Watch this video for a great altered chalkboard desk display how-to:
In this tutorial, you will learn how to put together these super cute Easter Craft Treat using the Trendy Craft Tubes available in the A Cherry On Top online store ...
In this video tutorial, you will learn how to make these Post-It Stands and gorgeous punched flowers!
In this video, Suzie Crafter shows us how to make this vintage bookmark:
Watch this video for a look at Authentique's Loyal Collection:
Page 1 of 7