The Ides of March (DVD)

Never miss another good movie [Public]

Moderator: koala1966

koala1966
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 2514

The Ides of March (DVD)

Post by koala1966 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:19 am

A young, self-assured Stephen (Ryan Gosling) is confident in the presidential candidate he supports, Governor Mike Morris (George Clooney). Under the guidance of his boss Paul (Phillip Seymour-Hoffman), Stephen is making all the right moves to cement his position within the campaign and to ensure Morris wins the Democratic nomination. Until he agrees to a secret meeting with a rival candidate's campaign manager (played by Paul Giamatti).

There were some interesting character pieces presented in the movie, but there was little follow through on any of them. I suppose if this movie was a political commentary on the state of campaigns and politicians then it worked well, however as a complete movie I found it lacking. It's not a thriller, though for about 20 minutes towards the end we thought it might be. The ending was completely unsatisfactory and each time we thought a story was taking off as the central theme, they dropped it. Overall I was disappointed, although the acting was brilliant and the characters engaging.

Return to “The Movie Critic”