Rise of the Planet of the Apes (DVD)

Never miss another good movie [Public]

Moderator: koala1966

koala1966
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 2525

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (DVD)

Post by koala1966 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:44 pm

A reboot of the original Planet of the Apes story, this is a prequel of sorts to the series. Scientist Will Rodman (James Franco) is desperate to find a cure for Alzheimers in time to cure his father. He is working with a drug and testing it on chimps - at the first sign of success he insists on human trials. Unfortunately the chimp most representative of the drug's success goes a bit wild and the program is shut down. Will saves her son, baby chimp Caesar, from the chaos and raises him as his own. Although they live happily for a time, eventually the danger of keeping an ape in the company of humans surfaces again, and Caesar will need all his intelligence to protect himself from humans without the good hearts of his "father." Also starring Brian Cox and John Lithgow.

This was an excellent thriller with a great story and believable effects. We come to know and love Caesar long before we have to choose between him and the humans who threaten him, making the conflict much more complex and muddling what may have otherwise been clear opinion on the outcome of the struggle. James Franco is a rock star, as always, perfectly capturing a struggle between calculating scientist and loving son/surrogate-father. The love story was weak, and unnecessary, but it didn't get in the way of the real focus which was always Caesar and his ability to adapt to his human family and to humans in general.

I didn't like the last Planet of the Apes (the 2001 Wahlberg version), but this I loved and if they make sequels to this I'm willing to give them a chance too.

sarahwhithers
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 2269

Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes (DVD)

Post by sarahwhithers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Yep! I agree! This was a pretty good one! Didn't like the last Plant of the Apes, either, but t his one kept me interested. :)

Return to “The Movie Critic”