Consult with Allergist

Moderator: ACOT Employee

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2741

Consult with Allergist

Post by blbabe1234 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Good morning cherries. Wow, what a doozy of a day. Left here at 7:15 to make sure I could get to where I needed to be by 8am as there is construction going on where I needed to go. But at least traffic wasn't too bad. Got there 15 mins ahead of time, which is fine as I had to finish the paper work, and do all my vitals. Everything looked good and they scanned in all my ER visits and photos for my file.

Spent an hour with the Dr. After reviewing the timeframe, what I ate, where I went, what I did, etc, he believes I had a virile infection that mimics an "allergic reaction" (the hives, the swollen lips, the swollen tongue, etc).  ER dr's see the swollen lips/tongue and automatically run thru allergies - environmental, foods, perfumes/soaps/cleaners, etc. I was on Medrol for 6 days, then 4 days later (or 10 whole days since 1st allergic reaction), I had the swollen lips again and I was itchy (however, no hives). Again, since nobody knew what was truly going on, they treated me like I was having an allergic reaction. The predisone really messed up my stomach and I've really been having a hard time being interested in food since then. Its on/off, but getting better. My allergist is aware of this too.

And  because I sneeze (or can't breathe) in the Springtime, I might have a tree and/or pollen allergy. For that, he's put me on Flonase and Zyrtec, which I already have. I take Flonase almost daily, and used to take Zyrtec after my septoplasty. But I stopped because i thought I didn't need it. I should take that again, daily. I also need nasal strips when I sleep since my nasal valve "collapses" when I breathe (he ran some nasal tests and was looking in my nostrils as I did them.). That is from allergies - mostly pollen. So treating the tree and/or pollen allergy is quite simple. But what is causing the darn hives??

He ordered 6 lab tests and after I left his office (10am), I went over to Quest Diagnostics. Got that taken care of, then ran over to Wal-Mart to pick up the nasal strips. Came home at 11:15. Drinking a gatorade right now and eating some crackers as I haven't eaten anything today. Worked out that I didn't eat breakfast today and I drink my coffee black as the lab work he ordered, I'd have to fast. However, water is okay and black coffee with nothing in it is okay too. So yay! Got that done today instead of trying to do that tomorrow morning.

The blood work will rule out any auto-immune diseases, and some foods. They'll call me when they get the results back. Hopefully by Thursday.

I'm ready for a nap! Image
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

Deanna13
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 2528

Re: Consult with Allergist

Post by Deanna13 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Whew! Sounds like you've been through alot, Brandy and need that nap!! Hopefully, they can figure out what's going on SOON! Hope you feel better! Hugs!

Also, is Gatorade something you're used to drinking? I've never had it, but DH can't drink that kind of thing as he's always gotten sick to his stomach on it. On the other hand.....my grandkids can all drink those types of beverages!
Image Image

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

sdwhru
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 332

Post by sdwhru » Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Sounds like a really busy day already Brandy.  Hopefully you will get some answers soon.  Sounds like the doc was pretty through.  Hopefully you will hear back soon.
ImageImage

pawprints
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 642

Post by pawprints » Tue May 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Glad you got a thorough check by the allergist Brandy! Hope the dr does get to the bottom of it. That is very interesting about it possibly not being an allergic reaction at all and possibly been a viral infection.

Image Image Image Image

emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 928

Post by emmapaige » Tue May 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Hmmm.....very interesting.  Hopefully you will have all the answers soon.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

Image  ImageImageImageImage

Linda S.
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 425

Post by Linda S. » Tue May 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Wowza, you had a busy day!!  I'd be ready for a nap!! Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Deanna13 wrote:Whew! Sounds like you've been through alot, Brandy and need that nap!! Hopefully, they can figure out what's going on SOON! Hope you feel better! Hugs!

Also, is Gatorade something you're used to drinking? I've never had it, but DH can't drink that kind of thing as he's always gotten sick to his stomach on it. On the other hand.....my grandkids can all drink those types of beverages!

Thank you Deana. And yes, I do drink Gatorade often enough. Actually, I drink the G2 - half the sugars. Its got electrolytes and since I didn't drink a lot of water all morning with my appts, the G2 will help keep me from being dehyrdated (I really don't want THAT issue on top of everything else!). I actually prefer the lemon-lime and the blue one (can't remember what its called).With our high humidity and the temps being over 90+ already, the replenishing the electrolytes is something I need!
~ Brandy Williams ~

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 pm

pawprints wrote:Glad you got a thorough check by the allergist Brandy! Hope the dr does get to the bottom of it. That is very interesting about it possibly not being an allergic reaction at all and possibly been a viral infection.

He's leaning towards that as a food allergy would have caused the swollen lips/tongue within 15 mins to 4 hours (it had been 8 hrs since I had eaten anything) and the environmental allergy would have appeared w/in 30 mins to 2 hours. I was asleep for 3 hours before the lips swelled up. There was a 10 hr gap between the hives and the swelling.
~ Brandy Williams ~

average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 835

Post by average_kim » Tue May 22, 2018 6:07 pm

Hope you find a solution soon!
Kim

Image Image  

Deanna13
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 2528

Post by Deanna13 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:31 pm

blbabe1234 wrote:
Deanna13 wrote:Whew! Sounds like you've been through alot, Brandy and need that nap!! Hopefully, they can figure out what's going on SOON! Hope you feel better! Hugs!

Thank you Deana. And yes, I do drink Gatorade often enough. Actually, I drink the G2 - half the sugars. Its got electrolytes and since I didn't drink a lot of water all morning with my appts, the G2 will help keep me from being dehyrdated (I really don't want THAT issue on top of everything else!). I actually prefer the lemon-lime and the blue one (can't remember what its called).With our high humidity and the temps being over 90+ already, the replenishing the electrolytes is something I need!

I'm glad it agrees with you, Brandy! My oldest DGD prefers the G2 kind when she's playing sports.
Image Image

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

DN in MN
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 111

Post by DN in MN » Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 am

Goodness, you had quite the morning.  I hope the tests find an answer and solution to the issues you are having!  
 Image    Image   
2018 Goal ~ 50 layouts    Completed 39 layouts and 3 cards 

scrappinmom99
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 675

Post by scrappinmom99 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:57 am

(((Brandy)))) What an ordeal! I hope you get some answers (and relief!) soon!!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 465

Post by Shutterbug » Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Hop[e they find what caused the reaction. You are in my prayers.
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

JillinIN
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 315

Post by JillinIN » Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Wow, what a day!
Not sure if that's good news or bad. At least it's not an allergy and hopefully the viral infection won't come back. Glad you have some steps you can take to help you feel better.
I hope you get more answers soon.
Jill
 ImageImage

shoorn
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 1175

Post by shoorn » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Wow what a day! Hope that they cam come up with some answers for you. 
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Return to “General Talk”