Christmas Chat 12-5

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Flasher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 235

Christmas Chat 12-5

Post by Flasher » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:52 am

Today, let's talk about Advent Calendars!  Do you use one?  Do you buy a new/disposable/candy one each year?  Do you have a permanent one?  Does it have a theme?  Did you also have one when you were younger?

:greensmile:
Right before I die, I'm going to swallow a bag of popcorn kernels.  My cremation is going to be EPIC!

Flasher
Cherry Addict

Re: Christmas Chat 12-5

Post by Flasher » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 am

I have several Advent Calendars/Countdown Calendars.  Most are very whimsical in nature.  But, since my kids aren't kids anymore, I'm the only one who really cares about that stuff.  So this year I invested in a nice, wooden, winter themed Advent Calendar with ornate pull out drawers that I have in the kitchen.   I never really had an Advent Calendar when I was younger.  I remember once or twice throughout my childhood my mom bought one of those cardboard calendar scenes with the chocolate pieces for each day.
Right before I die, I'm going to swallow a bag of popcorn kernels.  My cremation is going to be EPIC!

CarrieG
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 937

Post by CarrieG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 am

we did the chocolate ones when the girls were all small....a friend from England would send them to them :)  we also had a lil chalkboard..not sure what happened to it....we also have done paper chains..add a link each day til christmas..don't do much anymore....maybe when my grandson is a bit older

growing up I don't remember really doing them

DN in MN
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 120

Post by DN in MN » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 am

Never had one had as a child nor did my kids but my DD and I have made two now.  The first was a rip apart cardstock one and the other is a permanent one we just finished.  I have a photo in gallery :)  I have a lil Santa with a calendar countdown but that is it.
 Image    Image   
2018 Goal ~ 50 layouts    Completed 43 layouts and 3 cards 

karensay
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 209

Post by karensay » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:09 am

My Mom gave me one almost every year when I was young.  My Mom would give one to DD every year until she passed away, I have saved them (somewhere).  I have 2 advent calendar projects started that are MANY years unfinished.  We have none this year.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2773

Post by blbabe1234 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:09 am

When my brother and I were really little, we did. But as we grew up, we didn't. And now...no.
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

Flasher
Cherry Addict

Post by Flasher » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:12 am

DN in MN wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 am
Never had one had as a child nor did my kids but my DD and I have made two now.  The first was a rip apart cardstock one and the other is a permanent one we just finished.  I have a photo in gallery :)  I have a lil Santa with a calendar countdown but that is it.

I just looked at yours in the gallery.  It's darling . . . so charming!
Last edited by Flasher on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monroe1218
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 18

Post by Monroe1218 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:22 am

I have a permanent one that  I fill for my dh every year - some days are little candies, some days have Redbox codes, small tools, local restaurant gift certificates (they come in $1 increments and are paper so they are easily folded) - growing up he didn't really have a wonderful childhood and this is a way that I can bring a little fun....

I always get my nephew Grayson one - this years is a Marvel Tsum Tsum one - different little Marvel superhero or accessory each day... I found it last year after Christmas for about 90% off.  So  I've been holding onto it for a while.

I had similar things when I was little but never the cute little ones with the chocolate pieces since I can't have chocolate.  I did see that Aldi (a grocery store) has a wine one and a cheese one....
Rebecca

Linda S.
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 449

Post by Linda S. » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:24 am

I never had one as a kid. My Aunt bought my kids the candy ones. My daughter has a really cute tree one.

Flasher
Cherry Addict

Post by Flasher » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am

Monroe1218 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:22 am
I have a permanent one that  I fill for my dh every year - some days are little candies, some days have Redbox codes, small tools, local restaurant gift certificates (they come in $1 increments and are paper so they are easily folded) - growing up he didn't really have a wonderful childhood and this is a way that I can bring a little fun....

I always get my nephew Grayson one - this years is a Marvel Tsum Tsum one - different little Marvel superhero or accessory each day... I found it last year after Christmas for about 90% off.  So  I've been holding onto it for a while.

I had similar things when I was little but never the cute little ones with the chocolate pieces since I can't have chocolate.  I did see that Aldi (a grocery store) has a wine one and a cheese one....
That's so nice that you do that for your hubby!  And a wine and cheese calendar?  I think I need to get to Aldi!

1scrappymom
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 437

Post by 1scrappymom » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

We've never had an advent calendar but we've had advent wreaths to light candles and we've done a candy cane countdown that my kids' great grandmother made for them where they get to untie a candy cane for the 12 days leading up to Christmas. I've always wanted the lego advent calendar. 
~Shannon
My Blog -->  blinnsblog

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1451

Post by oceanbreezes423 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 pm

I had one for my kids when they were small, but have not had one in years! It already seems to get here way too fast, lol!
Susan Image Image

MTCanuk
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 627

Post by MTCanuk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Oh, yes! My sister and I had the chocolate ones growing up as did my girls. Now the grandkids are a different story. Up to this year,
I have had a little package for them to open every day. This year, I got the oldest two Lego advent calendars and the youngest a Thomas the train one. Just wanted to switch it up a little. It made it much simpler for me too!
Visit my blog:http://mtcanuk.blogspot.com/
Leslee

Deanna13
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 2612

Post by Deanna13 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:48 pm

I remember doing it just 1 year when the grandkids were really young.
Image Image

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 231

Post by Scrap Bug » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am

I have one I made when I first moved to TX.  It's made out of round tins and each has a magnet attached, I set it up on the side of my fridge in the shape of a Christmas tree. I put little candies in it for each day.  

We didn't have one growing up.

Melissa

Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 496

Post by Shutterbug » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:20 pm

On occasion we had the cardboard ones with the candy. Or made Advent Chain Calendars.  I also made a pocket calendar one years a go for a friend.  Not now. Sometimes i wish we did though.
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

JAire
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 33

Post by JAire » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm

No, never did. At times I thought I'd like to, but never did.
Joyce Ann

Return to “General Talk”