"I told you so."

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Flasher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 269

"I told you so."

Post by Flasher » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:07 pm

I'm not normally one to be gleeful about being able to say "I told you so", but I'm about ready to speak my mind and relish the moment with some of my family members.

As most of you may remember, I homeschooled my kids -- both of them -- starting with just my DD in 2001 then adding my son, of course.  Well, pretty much from the time I embarked on that adventure, I became the family "doer" -- and not necessarily by choice.  If someone needed a baby sitter:  Laura's home, she can do it.  If someone needed to plan a party:  Laura's home, she can do it.  If someone was unable to run any kind of errand:  Laura's home, she can do it.  If someone needed something for a bake sale or pot luck dinner:  Laura's home, she can do it.  If someone needed a spot for a play date:  Laura's home, she can do it.  You see where I'm going with this?

Now, it's not that I have ever minded helping out.  But, I've always resented the assumption by pretty much everyone in my family that because I was home, I wasn't "busy" and that I had "free" time. 

Flash forward to my sisters-in-law, my cousins, and my nieces who are all furloughed from their jobs and now are in charge of their kids' education and lesson plans.  I've heard this same basic line from three family members this week:  "Oh my God!!  I can't get anything done.  I have no time to get anything done.  How am I supposed to get anything done like this.  This is a nightmare!" 

So far I've been holding my tongue, but it's getting hard.  Really?  You can't get anything done?  Silly, silly girls.

😂 😂 😂
I don't know what my spirit animal is, but I'm pretty sure it has rabies.

sdwhru
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 355

Re: "I told you so."

Post by sdwhru » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Hopefully, they will be grateful the next time they just assume you can help them because you "aren't doing anything" and figure out how really hard it is.  

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 247

Post by DN in MN » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:38 pm

Oh I commend you on holding your tongue... I don't think I could!  May the reality finally come around :)  
 Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 35/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   

LoreenC
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 604

Post by LoreenC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 pm

Ha Ha Ha !, I love this!  I am about sick if this poor me theme! I just  try to laugh! Some women are talking about their kids being brats and not being able to get them to do anything! LOL
Reap what you sow! I was so lucky to stay home with my girls when they were about 3rd Grade ! Never upset or bored, Always busy & my kids went to school! wow!
ImageImageImage

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2966

Post by blbabe1234 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Haha!!! Tough patootie on them. Lol. I admire you holding your tongue. I believe in Karma. And she likes to take a big 'ol bite! Lol!!

I can kind of sort of relate. I work from home. Been since 2005. People thought it was all fun and games. No, girlfriend, it takes self discipline. And a routine. Everyone always thought that i could just take a day off to go have lunch and see a movie. Sure, i can do that. But I will need to make up hours at night or on the weekend. It looks easy, but it takes alot.

Last year, I'd work, juggling babysitting Draven and at the beginning of last year, run up to the hospital to see my mother. People were amazed how much I still got done. Its easier said than done. That's for sure.
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

Art_Teacher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 1685

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:34 pm

lol...good for you! I would be repeating everything they had said to me, making sure they understood how ridiculous they were! ;) I love seeing how people have to eat their words and appreciate teachers and stay-at-home parents, now!
Laura

beachlover
Chatty Cherry
Layouts: 1111

Post by beachlover » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:42 am

Oh Laura!!!  I sort of understand what you mean by being the doer!!  (((HUGS)))  

If they make little side comments about their "nightmare" and needing help, make it known that it takes time to get a routine going but they could do it.  And you have A PERFECT SCHEDULE WITH YOUR HOUSESHOLD!!!  Which they should understand to mean you cannot do their job! 

shoorn
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1633

Post by shoorn » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Haha! I commend you for not saying anything - it would have been hard for me not to make a comment. Frankly I am amazed that you were able to do all those errands and such for your family while homeschooling. I might have put my foot down at some point. I do know that my DH had a hard time when first starting to work from home - getting people to understand that he wasn't free to do things. He made time for some things - like for his Mom but had to make it up at night. Karma!
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

pawprints
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 741

Post by pawprints » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:01 pm

You may make that comment yet if they keep compiling lol.

Image Image Image Image

blfonty
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 653

Post by blfonty » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Just an idea - but have you tried turning it back around and delegating certain tasks to some of them while you just keep everyone on schedule/organized?
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

Image.   Image

emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1354

Post by emmapaige » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Wow!! I also commend you for holding your tongue!!  I was just talking to a lady who said in the past that she wished she could work from home.  Guess what - she's been working from home now for four weeks and she HATES it!! 
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2966

Post by blbabe1234 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:40 pm

emmapaige wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:41 pm
Wow!! I also commend you for holding your tongue!!  I was just talking to a lady who said in the past that she wished she could work from home.  Guess what - she's been working from home now for four weeks and she HATES it!! 

Bahahahahaha! It ain't as easy as she thought huh!?!? LOL
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

Return to “General Talk”