It's back and it's too close

Moderator: ACOT Employee

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 am

As many of you know, Covid 19 hit New Jersey early and hard and we worked hard as a state to really lower our numbers. Our town had no new cases after mid June until this week. Over 4th of July weekend, several young people attended parties down the shore and brought it back. The large public high school in our town had a supposedly outdoor graduation last week. They told anyone who had been exposed or tested positive not to come, but they had no way to enforce it. Furthermore, they had a 3 hour rehearsal (why do 18 year olds need 3 hours to learn how to walk in line?), and they scheduled a rain date, but then when thunderstorms were predicted, they didn't use the rain date. It thundered in the middle of the ceremony and they evacuated all the kids into a school where they didn't enforce distancing or mask wearing, and those who had it seem to infected so many other kids. My son didn't go to that school, he went to a county school which did a very safe outdoor graduation postponed to the rain date. However, many of his friends went to the local high school. My son went to one small outdoor graduation party, he wore a mask most of the time only taking it off to drink water, since it was hot. He told us not to worry because his friends don't even know those kids who came to the graduation positive. However, most of the high school class got tested the last few days and Sunday my son got a text from one of his friends that she had tested positive. Unfortunately, they sat at the same table at the one party he went to and I think they talked for a long time. (She's a really good kid, recruited athlete to an Ivy League school, not someone who would do anything reckless). 

So now we wait. There's a good chance my son will be positive, we spoke to an infectious disease expert who said we would test him on Thursday. Meanwhile, we are attempting to social distance from him within our house. He has his own car so he has been taking the bike in the car and leaving for hours and going for bike rides in emptier parts of the set, but when he is home he hides in his room except when he eats. We have  hand sanitizer all over the house, and antiseptic wipes which I use to wipe all the handles in the kitchen. He's not allowed in the fridge, I put his food out for him and leave the room. 

Numbers are still low in NJ and in our county, except for this spike of 18 year olds from my town. I think this ridiculous graduation made the National news, I'm sure it was on the news in NYC. I can't believe people would be so irresponsible to come to a graduation positive, and the schools did so little to keep everyone safe. 

This is going to be the longest week ever. Wish me luck. 

User avatar
emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Posts: 16247
Layouts: 1485
Location: Eagleville PA

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by emmapaige » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:17 am

Oh Louise, how terrifying for you and your family. I worry about my grandchildren because I know they aren’t social distancing from their friends. Emma and Paige are both having graduation parties next week. We plan to go to both, but arrive early and leave before their friends show up. 

I’ll be thinking of you all and send positive thoughts. Keep us updated when you can. 
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

 ImageImageImageImage
 

User avatar
Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight
Posts: 29086
Layouts: 1751

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by Art_Teacher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am

Unfortunately, people are getting very complacent. So many believe that because some restrictions have lifted, it is over. Plus, with the conflicting "news reports" on social media, young folks are quick to believe the ones that say this is blown out of proportion (if they even pay attention to the news at all.) :(  As for coming to a graduation positive, since people can be positive with no symptoms, anybody who shows up could be that person.  It's just so sad.  I do agree it was wrong of the school not to have plans for rain and to put all the kids into the school at once.  Our little school (45 graduates) had graduation outside on the football field this past Saturday. Each student's family had their own grouping of chairs spread out across the field, and they were not allowed to bring more than 9 people.  Teachers and staff wore masks and ushered people to their sections.  If it had rained, it would have been a staggered graduation in the gym, with 9 students and their families at one time, leaving by the back door while new people came in the front.  I hope nobody contracts the virus due to this graduation, but I know many students' families are having parties now and next month, so it is very likely.
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

User avatar
Flasher
Cherry Delight
Posts: 30148
Layouts: 281
Location: The Shores of Lake Erie

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by Flasher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:39 am

Ugh.  So sorry to hear that you are going through this, Louise.  I will certainly be hoping for the best -- a negative test.

I'm not educated or worldly enough to say that I ever actually understood people.  But, nowadays, I understand them even less.  :greenconfused:
When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning.", I sleep in until noon because . . . you know . . . I'm a problem solver.

 

User avatar
sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Posts: 12256
Layouts: 356

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by sdwhru » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:36 am

Hope your sons test comes back positive.  My DH's coworker (that he rides in a truck with every day) wife had to be tested so we are waiting to see if she is positive and if the coworker is positive.  I told DH to prepare his game room (he has a day bed in there) just in case so I can put him in there at least
Image

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 am

Art_Teacher wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am
Unfortunately, people are getting very complacent. So many believe that because some restrictions have lifted, it is over. Plus, with the conflicting "news reports" on social media, young folks are quick to believe the ones that say this is blown out of proportion (if they even pay attention to the news at all.) :(  As for coming to a graduation positive, since people can be positive with no symptoms, anybody who shows up could be that person.  It's just so sad.  I do agree it was wrong of the school not to have plans for rain and to put all the kids into the school at once.  Our little school (45 graduates) had graduation outside on the football field this past Saturday. Each student's family had their own grouping of chairs spread out across the field, and they were not allowed to bring more than 9 people.  Teachers and staff wore masks and ushered people to their sections.  If it had rained, it would have been a staggered graduation in the gym, with 9 students and their families at one time, leaving by the back door while new people came in the front.  I hope nobody contracts the virus due to this graduation, but I know many students' families are having parties now and next month, so it is very likely.
Maybe I wasn't clear, some kids who had already tested positive showed up at the graduation and told other kids they were positive. That's why all the other kids knew to get tested. I don't know if any of the kids have symptoms at this point, but these ones who got it from being shoved in the school are being really responsible about telling everyone they might have exposed. This particular school has over 400 graduates and they used a football field, without parents. My son's school has a graduating class of 80 and they did it safely, much like the one you describe. 
 

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am

emmapaige wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:17 am
Oh Louise, how terrifying for you and your family. I worry about my grandchildren because I know they aren’t social distancing from their friends. Emma and Paige are both having graduation parties next week. We plan to go to both, but arrive early and leave before their friends show up. 

I’ll be thinking of you all and send positive thoughts. Keep us updated when you can. 

Wear a mask at those parties and be safe. I will let you know. Right now we are just waiting.....

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:51 am

Laura wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:39 am
Ugh.  So sorry to hear that you are going through this, Louise.  I will certainly be hoping for the best -- a negative test.

I'm not educated or worldly enough to say that I ever actually understood people.  But, nowadays, I understand them even less.  :greenconfused:

I don't understand some people either. 

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:52 am

sdwhru wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:36 am
Hope your sons test comes back positive.  My DH's coworker (that he rides in a truck with every day) wife had to be tested so we are waiting to see if she is positive and if the coworker is positive.  I told DH to prepare his game room (he has a day bed in there) just in case so I can put him in there at least

Good luck to you as well.

User avatar
Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight
Posts: 29086
Layouts: 1751

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by Art_Teacher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am

trainmom wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 am
Art_Teacher wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am
Unfortunately, people are getting very complacent. So many believe that because some restrictions have lifted, it is over. Plus, with the conflicting "news reports" on social media, young folks are quick to believe the ones that say this is blown out of proportion (if they even pay attention to the news at all.) :(  As for coming to a graduation positive, since people can be positive with no symptoms, anybody who shows up could be that person.  It's just so sad.  I do agree it was wrong of the school not to have plans for rain and to put all the kids into the school at once.  Our little school (45 graduates) had graduation outside on the football field this past Saturday. Each student's family had their own grouping of chairs spread out across the field, and they were not allowed to bring more than 9 people.  Teachers and staff wore masks and ushered people to their sections.  If it had rained, it would have been a staggered graduation in the gym, with 9 students and their families at one time, leaving by the back door while new people came in the front.  I hope nobody contracts the virus due to this graduation, but I know many students' families are having parties now and next month, so it is very likely.
Maybe I wasn't clear, some kids who had already tested positive showed up at the graduation and told other kids they were positive. That's why all the other kids knew to get tested. I don't know if any of the kids have symptoms at this point, but these ones who got it from being shoved in the school are being really responsible about telling everyone they might have exposed. This particular school has over 400 graduates and they used a football field, without parents. My son's school has a graduating class of 80 and they did it safely, much like the one you describe. 
  
Oh my gosh! That is terrible!  Why would you knowingly go and expose others?  This is about as dumb as the "covid parties" I have read about happening in some of the southern states. smh I am sorry your son was exposed.  I pray for him and for you that he does not get it. :(
 
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

User avatar
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Posts: 67144
Layouts: 3063
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by blbabe1234 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:00 am

People like that just don't care about anybody else. Those youngin's think its funny. I've heard of COVID parties going on, to see who gets it. It is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Good luck to ya'll. HOpe he is negative so ya'll can breathe a bit easier
Brandy Williams

Image  Image Image

User avatar
Aztam
Cherry Picker
Posts: 686
Layouts: 155
Location: Baja AZ

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by Aztam » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Any time you go out it’s a crapshoot. 

It’s only a matter of time before we are all exposed. If we venture out or have contact with anyone there is a chance of contracting. It is so easily spread and people are not being conscientious. I hope his results are negative but if not I hope his case is mild and you stay safe as well.
👋

Tam

User avatar
CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Posts: 9431
Layouts: 1268
Location: Texas

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by CarrieG » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:12 pm

we have been sitting in your same position TWICE now..........arggggggggggggggggggg  i feel for you and your frustration etc..........

we have 9 active cases in our lil town right now and had another death in the smaller town 25 mins south of us..........its getting scary!!!!!!!!!!

HUGS

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 am

Aztam wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:06 pm
Any time you go out it’s a crapshoot. 

It’s only a matter of time before we are all exposed. If we venture out or have contact with anyone there is a chance of contracting. It is so easily spread and people are not being conscientious. I hope his results are negative but if not I hope his case is mild and you stay safe as well.
The vaccine is expected in January, so I think it is possible to not get exposed before then if one is careful. So far no symptoms which is apparently a good sign, whether or not he's positive.
 

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:45 am

CarrieG wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:12 pm
we have been sitting in your same position TWICE now..........arggggggggggggggggggg  i feel for you and your frustration etc..........

we have 9 active cases in our lil town right now and had another death in the smaller town 25 mins south of us..........its getting scary!!!!!!!!!!

HUGS

I remember that. The waiting seems like forever. It seems like most of the cases in our whole state are teenagers and young adults in our stupid little town. I think he should be able to get a rapid test tomorrow, so we would have the results an hour or so later.  I'll keep everyone posted. 

Meanwhile, It's really hard distancing from my own kid in my own house. Walking around with Lysol cleaner and cleaning up after he eats or anything. 

User avatar
blfonty
Cherry Cola
Posts: 5420
Layouts: 701
Location: East Tennessee

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by blfonty » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am

I'm sorry you are dealing with this even with some precautions. I've heard people say they are just over it and are done with masks! How stupid and dangerous for those young people to go out with COVID. I hope for the best for all of your family. I've been working at home and going out very little since mid-March and will probably continue through August at least. I believe in the CDC's scientific advice on COVID and ignore anything from politicians at all levels! Good luck to us all!
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

 Image.   

User avatar
traveler
Cherry Bing
Posts: 2705
Layouts: 324
Location: New Jersey

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by traveler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 am

blfonty wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am
I'm sorry you are dealing with this even with some precautions. I've heard people say they are just over it and are done with masks! How stupid and dangerous for those young people to go out with COVID. I hope for the best for all of your family. I've been working at home and going out very little since mid-March and will probably continue through August at least. I believe in the CDC's scientific advice on COVID and ignore anything from politicians at all levels! Good luck to us all!

We know someone who works on the WHO vaccine committee so we actually get very good scientific information that we feel we can trust. We have done our best to stay safe. We have gone to a few small stores, like farmstands, and always wear a mask and purell when we get back in the car. Other than that, we still get our groceries delivered and order most other things from Amazon. My son has been really careful, he just wanted to go to this one party, because it was outdoors and small and the friend was leaving for West Point. As I said, my son's friends are good kids who are also being careful, but they had no choice at that graduation when they were told they had to evacuate into those schools. Its so frustrating. 

User avatar
DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Posts: 14144
Layouts: 281
Location: Duluth, Minnesota

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by DN in MN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Thoughts and prayers for a negative test for you all.  How terrible and could have been avoided.  So sorry you have to go through this!
Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 53/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   
 

User avatar
Vicki R.
Sweet Cherry Pie
Posts: 1357
Layouts: 295
Location: SE PA

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by Vicki R. » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:38 pm

So sorry to read this, traveler!  It is a frustrating time in our lives, for sure.  Prayers that everything is negative for all of you.

My cousin called me yesterday to tell me that her 2 y.o. grandson tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday after running a fever for 1 day.  His mom is a nurse who has tested negative prior to this, but she is now not feeling well either.  She also has an older daughter that is showing symptoms and a 6 month old that we pray doesn't.  My cousin tested positive on Monday.  They have no idea where they came in contact with it.  The kids are not out of the house and only their grandmother watches them.  So, now they are all being tested.

User avatar
aheatfan
Cherry Berry
Posts: 854
Layouts: 359

Re: It's back and it's too close

Post by aheatfan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:48 pm

So sorry that you and others on this board are going through this. It's so frustrating and scary that people are not doing what needs to be done. Praying that you all get negative tests and stay safe. Where I live in Florida, numbers are EXPLODING, daily over 10,000.  I have a child that is a personal trainer in a gym and I am constantly scared for all of us. My husband and son also work outside the home. They have a mandatory mask order but still. I think it is only a matter of time until my city on on lockdown again.  I can honestly say that this hobby is the main thing helping me stay sane and distracted. 
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
Image

Post Reply

Return to “General Talk”