Oh, boy! UPDATED

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 1735

Oh, boy! UPDATED

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Our Governor, (Dewine/Ohio) just tested positive for Covid while preparing for Pres. Trump's visit to Cleveland!  Cue the conspiracy theorists, the people who will claim that this is because masks don't work (since he put a statewide mandate out 2 weeks ago...half the people are still not following it), and everyone who wishes him harm, because they don't agree with him.  :?   People make me sick, sometimes!

...and now he has a negative test!  That's the problem with this virus...too many things are up in the air and no concrete information! Statistics skewed all over the place! Evidently, he took a rapid test (like a few minutes) and it is new, untested, and unreliable. When he got back to Columbus, he took a different rapid test that takes 3-4 hours and it came back negative. smh  I'm glad he doesn't have it, but could we just use tests that work?  Geez...  He should probably take the test that takes 3 days to come back, just to be sure!
Last edited by Art_Teacher on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1248

Re: Oh, boy!

Post by CarrieG » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 pm

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  i have a complete disgust with most of humanity lately

wanna know what i am sick of hearing?  that COVID will disappear after the Nov election.......gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 3503

Post by Deanna13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pm

oh no!! I didn't hear about that. Was hoping something good with the schools would come from his meeting with President Trump. 
 Image Image

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 pm

wanna know what i am sick of hearing?  that COVID will disappear after the Nov election.......gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Amen!  As if this virus is strictly an American issue.  :(
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Deanna13 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pm
oh no!! I didn't hear about that. Was hoping something good with the schools would come from his meeting with President Trump. 

It is all over FB now...he is quarantining at home for 14 days. :(  
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

Deanna13
Cherry Crush

Post by Deanna13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Art_Teacher wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm
Deanna13 wrote:

Our schools are supposed to start the 24th. I believe it's a couple days at school each week and then online stuff or you can do all online classes. 
 Image Image

emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1435

Post by emmapaige » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:43 pm

And I guess all the cases that are not in the US are related to the upcoming election?????
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Flasher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 279

Post by Flasher » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:45 pm

Art_Teacher wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:39 pm
Our Governor, (Dewine/Ohio) just tested positive for Covid while preparing for Pres. Trump's visit to Cleveland!  Cue the conspiracy theorists, the people who will claim that this is because masks don't work (since he put a statewide mandate out 2 weeks ago...half the people are still not following it), and everyone who wishes him harm, because they don't agree with him.  :?   People make me sick, sometimes!

This whole pandemic is making me (and a lot of other people) realize that there is very little "come together for humanity" in the world. It is very much a "don't tell me what to do" and "you can't make me" world. Why ANYONE would wish anyone harm over pandemic decisions is lost on me. I remember when Dr. Acton and her family were getting death threats. Death threats. All because people are trying to keep you healthy. I heard earlier today that Dr. Fauci is also getting death threats. If he resigns or steps away because of that, we're doomed.
I wish people came with a thirty second trailer so I can see what I'm getting myself into. 

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:00 pm

Laura wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:45 pm
Art_Teacher wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:39 pm

This whole pandemic is making me (and a lot of other people) realize that there is very little "come together for humanity" in the world. It is very much a "don't tell me what to do" and "you can't make me" world. Why ANYONE would wish anyone harm over pandemic decisions is lost on me. I remember when Dr. Acton and her family were getting death threats. Death threats. All because people are trying to keep you healthy. I heard earlier today that Dr. Fauci is also getting death threats. If he resigns or steps away because of that, we're doomed.

Amen! I just spent time trying to make someone thickheaded on FB understand that wearing a mask has nothing to do with not catching the virus and everything to do with not spreading it to others. She simply couldn't grasp that you can spread it if you are asymptomatic. :( Kept saying "stay home if you are sick." If that worked, I don't think we would be where we are now. smh

Sadly, this person I was arguing with will be half the parents of the kids in our school when we start, who can't see why their kid should wear a mask to protect me and others! (The same parents who will intentionally send their kid to school when they are sick, because they need them to be watched while they are at work.) Gahh...I really want to go back to school, but at this point, I just wish Dewine would shut us all down again. :(
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm

Deanna13 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:24 pm
Art_Teacher wrote:
Deanna13 wrote:

Our schools are supposed to start the 24th. I believe it's a couple days at school each week and then online stuff or you can do all online classes. 

We start "all or nothing" on the 26th. Parents had to decide by yesterday if they wanted their child to do remote learning or send them back full-time. I just don't know how that is going to work, because my room is too small to separate them by more than 2 or 3 feet. :(
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:06 pm

emmapaige wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:43 pm
And I guess all the cases that are not in the US are related to the upcoming election?????

Right? Typical American self-centeredness...the world revolves around us, doesn't it? ;)
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

Deanna13
Cherry Crush

Post by Deanna13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:08 pm

Art_Teacher wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm
Deanna13 wrote:
Art_Teacher wrote:

We start "all or nothing" on the 26th. Parents had to decide by yesterday if they wanted their child to do remote learning or send them back full-time. I just don't know how that is going to work, because my room is too small to separate them by more than 2 or 3 feet. :(

I would love for all my grandkids to go back full-time, but they all go to different schools and the plans are all different. Plus, our granddaughter will be starting at a local community college too. Too many things unsettled.
 Image Image

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight

Post by Art_Teacher » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:06 am

Deanna13 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:08 pm
Art_Teacher wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm
Deanna13 wrote:

I would love for all my grandkids to go back full-time, but they all go to different schools and the plans are all different. Plus, our granddaughter will be starting at a local community college too. Too many things unsettled. 

I agree.  The uncertainty is driving me nuts!  See my update on my OP. 
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

Deanna13
Cherry Crush

Re: Oh, boy! UPDATED

Post by Deanna13 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 am

Yes, I've been reading about the false-positive results, etc. ugh!
 Image Image

traveler
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 308

Post by traveler » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:26 am

false positive/inconclusive is better (for society) than false negative. People in those first 2 categories just need to retest and stay in so they don't expose others, just like people who've been exposed and haven't gotten tested yet. Unfortunately, not everyone is so considerate of others. 

I dealt with a workman yesterday who refused to wear a mask indoors until he was actually working, no just making calls and doing paperwork. I kept my mask on and stayed away from him, but I was really upset. 

We just got the info on my younger son for high school. He will be there 2 days a week for 4 hours. They will have half the kids there at a time, no lunch there ever. The rest of his week will be remote. I trust him to keep his mask on and he will let us know if it seems unsafe and we can always switch him to completely virtual. But I really think a little contact with his peers will be good for him. They don't start for a month yet, so this could change, but it seems like a decent plan. My older son leaves for college in 10 days and they are going to try to operate in a bubble. I'm praying that works out. 

sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 356

Post by sdwhru » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am

CarrieG wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 pm

I've heard this a lot too, irritates me to no end.  The ones spewing that have they looked at other countries, we aren't the only ones going through this.  But as selfish Americans we tend to think so

shoorn
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1706

Post by shoorn » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Just a question - has anyone heard about the virus in other countries recently? In the beginning we were all hearing about China, Italy, Spain and others but for a long time now the news has only centered on the US. Why is that? I remember reading about Sweden not using quarantine too. What is the rate in other countries? 
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

traveler
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 308

Post by traveler » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:53 pm

shoorn wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 pm
Just a question - has anyone heard about the virus in other countries recently? In the beginning we were all hearing about China, Italy, Spain and others but for a long time now the news has only centered on the US. Why is that? I remember reading about Sweden not using quarantine too. What is the rate in other countries? 

I hear a lot about other countries, but I don't remember all the details, some have had second waves and some have not. Many are putting in strict mask laws and have been able to restart sports and things. European soccer has successfully been going on without fans in the stadiums for a while now. When there is an outbreak in one city, many countries are able to quarantine it and stop it from spreading. (Didn't Australia do that?). I can't remember exactly what I've heard about which countries right now. There are only 2 countries that are doing as bad as the US, I think its India and Brazil, but I might be remembering wrong. 

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight

Post by Art_Teacher » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:25 pm

trainmom wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:26 am
false positive/inconclusive is better (for society) than false negative. People in those first 2 categories just need to retest and stay in so they don't expose others, just like people who've been exposed and haven't gotten tested yet. Unfortunately, not everyone is so considerate of others. 

I dealt with a workman yesterday who refused to wear a mask indoors until he was actually working, no just making calls and doing paperwork. I kept my mask on and stayed away from him, but I was really upset. 

We just got the info on my younger son for high school. He will be there 2 days a week for 4 hours. They will have half the kids there at a time, no lunch there ever. The rest of his week will be remote. I trust him to keep his mask on and he will let us know if it seems unsafe and we can always switch him to completely virtual. But I really think a little contact with his peers will be good for him. They don't start for a month yet, so this could change, but it seems like a decent plan. My older son leaves for college in 10 days and they are going to try to operate in a bubble. I'm praying that works out. 
I agree, the false positive is definitely not as concerning, but it triggers those who already don't believe in science and think the whole thing is a conspiracy. Just one more thing they will use to push their agenda. :(  I would rather do the part school/part virtual thing, since then I could actually spread my students out in my classroom. With my normal class sizes, which are small compared to city schools, I won't be able to keep them from being right next to each other.  Also, my room doesn't have windows or a/c, so no fresh air will be coming in. Wearing a mask all day is going to be torture in August when it is 90 degrees. 

Laura
 Image   Image  Image

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1248

Post by CarrieG » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:46 pm

shoorn wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 pm

i believe Mexico is having some big outbreaks.............and i just heard that parts of Australia are back on lock down

Return to “General Talk”