What are your plans for Thanksgiving weekend?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

joannie
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1961

What are your plans for Thanksgiving weekend?

Post by joannie »

My family is going to my DH's nieces house for lunch tomorrow and my family is coming over my house on Saturday. I'm not planning on going Black Friday shopping out of the house. I did go to IKEA today to pick up a Christmas gift. Can't wait to see what ACOT has for us this year! 

What are you all doing?
Last edited by joannie on Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- joannie

Image Image Image Image
VickiR
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 517

Re: What are your plans for Thanksgiving weekend?

Post by VickiR »

We are having our daughters and families and a niece here for dinner tomorrow.  There will be 12 of us all together, vaccinated, even the kids.  I'm not a Black Friday shopper.  Never have been and I'm sure not starting now at my age.  I do like to shop a bit the week before Christmas just to enjoy the hustle and bustle.  The weekend will be recovery time for me and DH.
GinniG
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 64

Post by GinniG »

Hi Cherries!  Another blustery day here.  It's not bad here but out on the ocean it's REALLY bad.  One of our friends is stuck on a boat by himself out in a protected cove waiting for things to calm down before he can get back!  Thankfully last word was that he's safe.  His poor wife is beside herself!  We're praying for a safe return for Jim.

Thanksgiving...  This year it's a bit strange for me.  Usually my oldest stepson brings his youngest son over on Friday and then they go hunting with Steve while I cook dinner on Saturday.  But this year they're not coming over.  Greg just finished taking a master's class and his oldest son is still in the hospital.  So they're going to stay home this weekend.  Our community is having a potluck at 4 PM at the local fire hall so we're going to that.  Then I'll cook our dinner on Sunday once the turkey is thawed.  I'll take a new recipe for the sweet potato casserole that's served at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.  I've never been but a good friend raves about the casserole and I saw the recipe last week so I'll try it out.  :)  Steve's going to bring his duck pastrami too.  It turned out pretty good and I don't like duck!  :)

Otherwise, I need to get my BFF's mini album finished before I leave next week.  Then I need to work on Christmas cards.  Hopefully I can get it all done quickly!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Eve everyone!
emmapaige
Bowl Full of Cherries
Layouts: 1781

Post by emmapaige »

I am hosting but instead of our normal 17 people, we will have 10.  I ordered a prepared meal for 12 from Wegmans so I only need to heat stuff up.  I did buy fresh Brussel Sprouts in case my granddaughter, Emma wants to make them in the air fryer. She is a vegetarian so we need lots for veggies for her. 

I've never been a Black Friday shopper either.  We really don't buy actual gifts for anyone anymore.  We give Emma and Paige cash (being college students - that's what they really want) and gift cards for our two youngest (Carter and Cole).  We don't have much of a relationship with our oldest grandson Jace.  We used to mail him a gift card but never got so much as a text thanking us.

I'm not sure what we are doing on Friday since it's my birthday.  DH wants to take me out to dinner but the restaurants we like are attached or near malls so I'm thinking we may celebrate sometime next week during the week.

Anxious to see what ACOT has for Black Friday.  
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

traveler
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 465

Post by traveler »

We’re hosting but it’s just 5 of us. Avoiding stores on Friday. Probably taking Zach to get skis on Saturday. Hanukkah brunch at my sister-in-law’s on Sunday which we will hopefully be able to go to, But depends on when Zach is leaving to go back to college. My sister leaves Monday.
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

aheatfan
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 918

Post by aheatfan »

Happy Thanksgiving Cherries  😊  I am cooking the whole thing tomorrow, though my oldest has offered to help. I was going to have it catered this year but the boys were so upset about it that I switched back to doing it myself.  Sadly, it will just be the 4 of us again this year. We have some kids in the family that are not yet vaccinated and a couple adults too so we all decided to do this for another year, stinks though!! I don't plan on hitting any stores on Friday, too crazy here.  Looking forward to what ACOT has coming though. 
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImage

VickiR
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 517

Post by VickiR »

GinniG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:04 pm
Hi Cherries!  Another blustery day here.  It's not bad here but out on the ocean it's REALLY bad.  One of our friends is stuck on a boat by himself out in a protected cove waiting for things to calm down before he can get back!  Thankfully last word was that he's safe.  His poor wife is beside herself!  We're praying for a safe return for Jim.

Thanksgiving...  This year it's a bit strange for me.  Usually my oldest stepson brings his youngest son over on Friday and then they go hunting with Steve while I cook dinner on Saturday.  But this year they're not coming over.  Greg just finished taking a master's class and his oldest son is still in the hospital.  So they're going to stay home this weekend.  Our community is having a potluck at 4 PM at the local fire hall so we're going to that.  Then I'll cook our dinner on Sunday once the turkey is thawed.  I'll take a new recipe for the sweet potato casserole that's served at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.  I've never been but a good friend raves about the casserole and I saw the recipe last week so I'll try it out.  :)  Steve's going to bring his duck pastrami too.  It turned out pretty good and I don't like duck!  :)

Otherwise, I need to get my BFF's mini album finished before I leave next week.  Then I need to work on Christmas cards.  Hopefully I can get it all done quickly!

Oh wow, Ginni! You will love that sweet potato casserole!  Ruth's Chris sweet potato casserole is to die for!  My favorite dish there.  I made them last year and they were a huge hit.
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3254

Post by blbabe1234 »

I have my dad, brother, SIL and my 3 nephews coming to our house in the afternoon. My SIL works until 2PM, so they'll be here anytime after that. 

I won't be venturing out for Black Friday either except to go donate blood. Our local Blood Bank is having a drive on Friday just a few miles from my home and I got a 10AM appt.

Now online shopping is a different story. I only have THREE sites that I MUST CHECK OUT. ACOT bundles and deals, PetCo's deals (they usually have BOGO treats! for both cats AND dogs!) and get Jackson and the girls their flea prevention meds from our ve'ts online pharmacy. Last year I managed to save $300. When you have 2 large dogs, 1 medium dog and a cat....any savings goes a long way....
Brandy Williams

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3254

Post by blbabe1234 »

GinniG wrote:

Oh goodness, that is SCARY! Glad that Jim is okay...but I feel for his wife. Hope he returns safely AND soon!
Brandy Williams

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
MTCanuk
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 1325

Post by MTCanuk »

I’ll be cooking tomorrow. The DD, that lives here will be here with the family. So there will be 8 of us. Turkey thawing. Lots of prep work done today.
Any Black Friday shopping will be dine on line. I am not into dealing with crowds anymore.
And we had couple of inches of snow overnight, so looking pretty wintery outside.

Visit my blog:http://mtcanuk.blogspot.com/
Leslee

Florac74
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 45

Post by Florac74 »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I will be serving a meal to peeps that have no where to go or family to celebrate with. Our church is doing a potluck style meal. Each of us will bring a side or dessert. I just got through wrapping a whole tray of bacon wrapped smokies with a cayenne brown sugar glaze. So I just have to pop it in the oven and im done cooking.

Then my hubby and I are headed to Austin to do our friendsgiving for the weekend. My fur baby Lexi will be joining us and having fur baby playdate with our friends fur babies 😁

Pretty much a relaxing weekend for us. I don't go out into the craziness of black Friday. I will probably do some online shopping but that is the most I do. All my kiddos are adults so money is the favorite gift.
Always grateful for this journey, living life to the fullest, Flora

Image   Image  Image
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Layouts: 842

Post by pawprints »

I will be doing the cooking tomorrow but it will be just DH and DS and I and DD and the kids. We will eat late, as usual, so it gives me plenty of time to cook and not be rushed, and since it is just us will be very laid back. DD and the kids will wear their masks to protect DH and we will move our eating arrangements around for safety. So much better to do that than to not be able to have them here at all. My sister and brother-in-law and one of my nephews will be with my mom, so that is good. Normally I cook for all of my family, but this is the second year in a row that we are not spending it together for obvious reasons.

As for Black Friday I do not go out at all. It is my recuperation and lazy online shopping day! I look forward to ACOT and all my fav sites Black Friday sales while staying cozy in my Cuddl Duds and fuzzy slippers. Only thing we will have to go to is DH's blood test to see if he will need a transfusion on Saturday. If he does then we will go to that on Saturday, and if not I hope to be home the entire weekend!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all of you!

Image Image  Image  Image
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 1284

Post by beachlover »

With my hand in a full splint, there is no way I can do a turkey and all the fixings.  DS and his family went to FL to see his dad's parents.  DD decided to cook at her house
and have just the grandparents and DH's mom.  It will be nice seeing her make what I believe to be her first holiday meal!  I am doing a  nice salad, desserts, and some appetizers.  And thankfully they are only 3 or so miles away!  Plus I miss my grandbabies!  Hopefully next weekend we can catch up with the oldest 3 grandkids - I still need to do their Christmas shopping and want to know what they really want at ages 13, 9 and nearly 5.  
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new)
https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

Monroe1218
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 39

Post by Monroe1218 »

I'm doing the most of the cooking - have actually already started on it tonight.  I'm going to do most all of it tonight so I won't have to stress so much tomorrow.  There will be 8 of us for a late lunch/early dinner - whatever you call eating at 2pm.   DH and I, my parents, his Mom, my nephew Grayson, his Dad and his new girlfriend.  Since my sister passed away almost 3 years ago, we invite the husband over too.... well now he has a girlfriend and we will see how that goes.  She seems to be very nice and Grayson likes her.  

As for Black Friday - I have no intention to get out in any of the mess.  I'll just sit here at home and order online.  DH and I might go over to BFF's house and watch a movie and have dinner that evening.... just depends on if she gets called out - she's on call at the hospital.  I'm looking forward to seeing what ACOT will have along with a couple of other places.  I have most of my shopping done - so it's pretty stress free at this point!

Wishing all the wonderful cherries and the ACOT family a happy, safe Thanksgiving!!
Rebecca

suewho372
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 788

Post by suewho372 »

Happy Thanksgiving Cherries!!!
This is probably the first Thanksgiving in about 25 or more years that I haven’t cooked!
DD is working ( ICU nurse) and DS and family packed up from MO to Louisiana in early November! So no thanksGiving cooking for me. I have a long list of things to do!
Yesterday I ran a few errands and picked up Cracker Barrel dinner for me to heat up.
I also did some more arranging on the house. I’ve been here 6 months but it is still getting worked out.
Today I want to work On some crafty things!!! It is raining 🌧 and really looks like fall!
I’m not going Black Friday shopping in person- maybe a bit online I do have a few things I still need to get.
I have a list of projects to do with my remaining time off work!
I think I may decorate this year! I haven’t in a couple years because WORK/ exhaustion!

I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving no matter what you may be doing! 😘🥰😍
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com
karen c.
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 846

Post by karen c. »

Happy Thanksgiving Cherries! Going to the beach with a Thanksgiving picnic lunch with my youngest daughter and my sister. A beautiful day here on the west coast of Florida! Enjoy your day!
ImageImage          ImageImage
Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 1963

Post by Art_Teacher »

We are going to our traditional dinner at my aunt's house.  First time we have all been together since my uncle's funeral in August of 2020.  I can't wait to see my family!  Friday, I will bake cookies with my Mom per our usual tradition, and avoid Black Friday. lol  I hate all those crowds, anyway!

Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1400

Post by scrapy1967 »

I hosted an early thanksgiving lunch. My mom is 94 and doesn’t like to be out late in the day so we had a lunch here. Her and my sister just left. Ive been doing a lot of online BF shopping and I have one place left. Yep waiting on acots sale to start this evening 
ImageImage 

GinniG
Cherry Picker

Post by GinniG »

VickiR wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:00 pm
GinniG wrote:

Oh wow, Ginni! You will love that sweet potato casserole!  Ruth's Chris sweet potato casserole is to die for!  My favorite dish there.  I made them last year and they were a huge hit. 
Thanks Vicki!  DH decided he wanted to take his smoked clams and his duck pastrami so he overrode me on the casserole to take to the potluck but I'll make it for us when I make our dinner on Sunday.  :)  I can't wait to taste it!  :)

GinniG
Cherry Picker

Post by GinniG »

blbabe1234 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:30 pm
GinniG wrote:

Oh goodness, that is SCARY! Glad that Jim is okay...but I feel for his wife. Hope he returns safely AND soon! 

Yes it's really scary when people are out in storms and they have to "hunker down".  I don't think he made it home today either.  It was just as bad or maybe even worse.  But it seems to have calmed down now so hopefully tomorrow.  Living here we're used to these storms and we know that we have to be careful.  Thankfully here there are a LOT of little islands and so there's a few coves that are small but deep enough to anchor up and ride out the storm.  That's what most people do.  She just got worried when she hadn't heard from him and couldn't reach him.  The radios only go out about 25 miles and the cell service (especially here) is really bad.  So if he was out more than 25 miles (which is not hard to do at all here) then his phone wouldn't have worked either.  We are all very grateful for the Coast Guard rescuers because they really are a blessing and save many many lives. 

Return to “General Talk”