August 2012 Heritage Challenge *WINNER*

Moderator: ACOT Employee

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 356

August 2012 Heritage Challenge *WINNER*

Post by killarney_rose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:41 am

Can you believe it!!! It's August! Time is flying by this year! In 45 days we start our fall calving. WOW!

As I cruised the gallery this past month Brandi posted some photos from her husband's side of the family that were turn of the century. One of those beautiful photos had a classic Victorian style hat. I'm not sure when we lost the need for hats as a everyday fashion accessory but we did. Now we wear hats more from the causal side of our dress. And of course the idea popped in my head to do a hat challenge as it relates to fashion.

Your challenge should you accept it is to create a layout or card containing at least one of the three things listed below!

1) An individual(s) in the photo should be wearing a hat.
2) Use a hat as an embellishment.
3) The paper you choose to use has a hat.

Your photo must be 10 years or older. Your layout/card must be a new creation! Please choose heritage papers appropriate to age of photo as to your definition of what is heritage.

** You can not use a hat in your layout which represents Graduation, Halloween, Santa Hat, a ski or hat for a snowy day, baseball caps, visors, etc.**

;) We are talking fashion here. Now if your like me in the world of cattle men wear caps and/or hats and the hat is a cowboy hat. Texan men will tell you real quick a cap (baseball type) is not fashion but a Cowboy hat is a whole different matter .....and LOL they won't use the term fashion either. And like us with the color of white there are certain rules about a Cowboy hat. A straw hat is only worn between Easter and the first cold snap which is usually in our state in October. A felt hat is worn after Labor Day up until Easter or to a more formal affair. How the hat is steamed and creased is a very personal choice for men and is a statement of what's "in" and/or personal preference. Generally, once they choose their style they rarely change it. And by gosh don't ever take a hat or cap off a man's head in a jester of fun!!!! So yes if you have a photo of a man in a hat please if it fits the challenge whether a cowboy hat or other type of dress hat then please entire it in the challenge.

To help you along the way if your clueless as to where to find hats. When it comes to paper Graphic 45 has some beautiful papers with hats for both sexes and I found papers from Kaiser Craft Sears and Son line has some hats.

Embellishments: In the store is a set of stickers from Jolee's. And I had to have them!!! Cute Cute!!!

Still in need of a hat! Well I'm here to help! I have a Quickutz die that has a hat in the style of the sold black one above just without the feather! Another similar hat to the die is the first example below. Give me two cardstock colors and I'll make one.....need a second or third and I'll make them, too! Then off in snail mail to you. Send me a PM if your in need of a hat.

One can look through my gallery for examples of hats. My grandmother always wore one for business when she was Equipment Editor for American Home Magazine or a special function like my wedding. I must admit I have been loving looking at all the different hats my grandmother had before I was born! It was always her statement piece in her fashion accessories! I'll also try to do at least two other layouts with hats in them this month.

Image I used this one again, my grandfather has a hat on.

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Paper, digi, and hybrid always accepted! Cards, too![/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Layouts must be posted here in this thread as there is no gallery for them, by midnight August 31st ACOT time![/highlight][/highlight]

Winner chosen by random number generator for a $5 ACOT GC.
[/highlight]
[/highlight]
[/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]
May not be combined with another challenge. I'm getting you to complete your goals this month!!!
[/highlight]
[/highlight]
[/highlight][highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Of course if another challenge states you can combine it with their challenge then you can do so!!! Sound confusing.....I'm leaving it up to you to determine that definition![/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][/highlight][/highlight]
Wonderful Cherries participating in the Heritage Challenge:

1) letumom
2) blbabe1234

3) scrapscot
4) charleneanne
5) pawprints
6) suewho372
7) retiree3
8) sherelm
9) paulaj
10) javalove
11) sandi0805

Ladies I truly apologize.....107 on Saturday and 105 yesterday. With a water cooler to cool my scrap room it wasn't a nice day in my scrap building! Plus we were pretty busy....Larry and his fishing and needing wife with him! I do have a terrific hubby!

And the winner is

blbabe1234

Congrats Brandy!!!!

Brandy I travel tomorrow and we don't use our debt card unless needed on weekends. So I'll get your GC on Wed or Thurs.
Last edited by killarney_rose on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Retiree3
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 3696

Re: August 2012 Heritage Challenge

Post by Retiree3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 am

Love this challenge!
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 846

Post by letumom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 am

I can do this one! I just got a slew of new (old) photos from my mom.
Laurie

joannie
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1406

Post by joannie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:34 am

LOVE THE "HAT" THEME!!

1grandma
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 187

Post by 1grandma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 am

I know just the photo to use for this!
Bibi

pawprints
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 673

Post by pawprints » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:22 pm

This is an awesome challenge Kim!

Image Image Image Image

scrapscot
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 861

Post by scrapscot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:31 pm

I've done tons of pages with hats and about hats! I still have plenty of old pictures with people in hats. I can do this one today but I can't post it until I can my scan-in-stitch software working again! Here's an old one I did. Image
Image Charlene

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2826

Post by blbabe1234 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:20 pm

This is AWESOME Kim! Love the challenge!
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 pm

scrapscot wrote:I've done tons of pages with hats and about hats! I still have plenty of old pictures with people in hats. I can do this one today but I can't post it until I can my scan-in-stitch software working again! Here's an old one I did. Image

:inlove: the hat!!!

:inlove: the layout!!

I still think how amazing it is we have forgotten about hats in our country but the English sure haven't. Reminds me of how Princess Beatrice's hat worn at William and Kate's wedding seemed to out do Kate's elegant dress in the press!

letumom
Cherry Jubilee

Post by letumom » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Last weekend when I was home, I helped my mom scan a bunch of family photographs from the early 1900's. Of course, I sent copies to myself, for future use. There were actually several of women (and men) with hats, since that was the part of the era's fashion. I chose this photograph because the cousin pictured here was portraying such a confident air. She was my grandmother's teacher, and the postcard was dated May 1, 1911. 101 years ago! My grandmother was 15 years old at the time.

Laurie

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2826

Post by blbabe1234 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Molly Johnson Soeten (DH's great great grandmother) on her wedding day, 1903.
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

scrapscot
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 861

Post by scrapscot » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:05 pm

ImageMy maternal grandmother in the Roaring 20's
Image Charlene

letumom
Cherry Jubilee

Post by letumom » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:29 pm

scrapscot wrote:ImageMy maternal grandmother in the Roaring 20's

Not just the hat, the SUIT! I know that hats were worn as sun protection, since sunscreen didn't exist, but why a SUIT? She is definitely in fashion.
Laurie

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:02 pm

letumom wrote:Last weekend when I was home, I helped my mom scan a bunch of family photographs from the early 1900's. Of course, I sent copies to myself, for future use. There were actually several of women (and men) with hats, since that was the part of the era's fashion. I chose this photograph because the cousin pictured here was portraying such a confident air. She was my grandmother's teacher, and the postcard was dated May 1, 1911. 101 years ago! My grandmother was 15 years old at the time.

Exquisite photo!!! It was amazing how common it was at the turn of the century to have a photo made as a post card to send to family and friends. What a treat to do this digitally! I am amazed I have no photos which were also post cards, I definitely would use photo corners and no adhesive to mount the photo if paper scrapping!

Laurie, this is a gorgeous layout!!!

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:43 pm

blbabe1234 wrote:Molly Johnson Soeten (DH's great great grandmother) on her wedding day, 1903.

Brandy, a truely exquisite photo!!! The hat just drew me in when you posted the photos to the gallery!!! What a treasure and a wedding photo, too! Exquisite layout, too!

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Amazing....mowing the lawn so formally dressed! Beautiful layout and great title!!!

suewho372
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 703

Post by suewho372 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:46 pm

letumom wrote:Last weekend when I was home, I helped my mom scan a bunch of family photographs from the early 1900's. Of course, I sent copies to myself, for future use. There were actually several of women (and men) with hats, since that was the part of the era's fashion. I chose this photograph because the cousin pictured here was portraying such a confident air. She was my grandmother's teacher, and the postcard was dated May 1, 1911. 101 years ago! My grandmother was 15 years old at the time.

I love the story and the layout great job!
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com

suewho372
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by suewho372 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:48 pm

blbabe1234 wrote:Molly Johnson Soeten (DH's great great grandmother) on her wedding day, 1903.
This photo and hat are awesome, how cool to have this! Love the layouT
Susan

suewho372
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by suewho372 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:49 pm

GREAT photo and the title goes right along with it....better look good no matter what you are doing!! Great layout
Susan

blfonty
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 589

Post by blfonty » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:22 pm

This is fabulous! What a treasure for you and future generations.
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie     Image     Image     

Return to “Contests & Challenges”