Moderator: ACOT Employee

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 356

September 2013 4x4 Challenge **WINNER**

Post by killarney_rose » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:35 am

Congrats to the Winner!!!

MacSarah!!!!

As promised although already the 31st my challenges are going up. And something I promised long ago....a little tutorial. So I can get to bed here's my example:

If your wondering this is not Zu this is Asia who you have not been introduced to yet. The calf in the picture is not a Lowline, she is a Santa Gertrudis.

For this layout:

Papers: 1) American Crafts Dear Lizzy Lucky: Charm Blue Skies
2) Carta Bella Hello Again: Triangles
Embellishments: 1)Pocket
2)Washi Tape
3) Flair
4) "Snapshot of the Day" Diecut

Now for the tutorial: To pull the ring and the insert on the pocket flap I had to cut it from behind the left hand photos of Zu. If I had needed more I could have cut it from underneath the Blue Skies paper. And when I finished it looked like this:

You'll notice I already had misted the paper before I made my cuts. I first made all of my measure measurements then using my CM pattern for a 5 to 5 1/2 inch circles. Since I was working on the outside of the pattern I needed to cut at the 5 1/4 measurement first. Lifted the Paper off while still holding the pattern and then cut the 5 inch to get my ring. I then took my trimmer to cut out the rectangle. This left the paper pretty flimsy. Plus I need to get the 5 inch circle and ring perfectly fitted back in the hole I made.

I took a piece of CM paper I would never use and adhered it to the back of my paper to give it support and get the circle and ring in place with the pattern lined up correctly. I took the ring with side showing back in place lined up and then put adhesive on the circle and placed it back in the hole. I lifted the ring out. This is the result you see. I then adhered both photos down. Placed adhesive on the ring and fit it back into the areas of the cutout showing the backside of the paper.

The misting was an interesting technique. I took a piece of scrap lace that I had used before with Vintage Pink Glimmer Mist but let it dry instead of rinsing the lace out afterwards on another project. I laid it down on the triangles paper before I started any thing else and gave it a heavy mist in the one area. The wetting of the lace with a different color left the redish/pink areas. Loved the look. This time I rinsed the lace and let dry.

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]This is a very specific challenge so please follow exactly![/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]You are allowed to use only the following: two double sided papers (equals 4 papers) and you must have four embellishments. When you post your layout you must list each paper and each embellishment. Paint, Mist, Ink and Alphas are free items to use. Definition of an embellishment: if you can hold it as a single piece in your hand it can count as one embellishment. This challenge encourages making your own embellishment(s).[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]

Please link your layout.

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Traditional (Paper) Layout: 2 Double Sided Papers and 4 embellishments[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Digital Scrapers: 4 Papers and 4 embellishments[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Card Makers: 1 cardstock base and 3 papers[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]
[/highlight]
[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Everyone is getting so creative!!! Sometimes hard for me to tell what is what on your layouts! Please post what you used for the layout in this format as I did below:[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]
[/highlight]
[/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]For this layout:[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Papers: 1) American Crafts Dear Lizzy Lucky: Charm Blue Skies[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][highlight=#e1ebf2] 2) Carta Bella Hello Again: Triangles[/highlight][highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Embellishments: 1)Pocket
2)Washi Tape
3) Flair
4) "Snapshot of the Day" Diecut

Remember you can choose to use both sides of each paper or only one side of a paper. But you must use four embellishments which makes you have to think about balancing your layout since not an odd number. That's the real challenge!

Your layout must be posted by September 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST in here and the 4x4 Challenge Gallery. A $5 ACOT gift certificate will be awarded to the winner chosen by random.org

Wonderful Cheeries Participating:
[/highlight]
[/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]1) mgehrke (mildred)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]2) butterfly843 (Susan)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]3) blbabe1234 (Brandy)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]4) oceanbreezes423 (Susan)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]5) scrapy1967 (Janet)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]6) CherryTat (Darlene)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]7) sweetsour (Karrie)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]8) Retiree3 (Donna)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]9) Deanna13 (Deanna)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]10) Scrap Bug (melissa)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]11) MacSarah (Sarah)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]12) joannie (Joannie)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]13) Sandi0805 (Sandi)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
Last edited by killarney_rose on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 3364

Re: September 2013 4x4 Challenge

Post by Deanna13 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:43 am

Woo! Hoo! LOVE this challenge! :)
 ImageImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1646

Post by oceanbreezes423 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:51 am

Love your sample and tutorial!
Susan  Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2991

Post by blbabe1234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:45 am

LOVE your tutorial!
~ Brandy Williams ~

Image Image

1grandma
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 187

Post by 1grandma » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:32 pm

I have become a fan of this challenge.
Bibi

mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Layouts: 1559

Post by mgehrke » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Here's mine. I didn't have 2 double sided papers to go with my photo, so I used 4 separate papers. All are from DCWV - The Glitter Stack except the solid purple is from Bazzill. My 4 embellies are 2 pinwheels from Queen & Co. and 2 black & clear blings from Recollections.

Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 55, 33 and 27) lol. And now a proud Grandma to Orahn (3) and Sawyer (1).

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 356

Post by killarney_rose » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 pm

mgehrke wrote:Here's mine. I didn't have 2 double sided papers to go with my photo, so I used 4 separate papers. All are from DCWV - The Glitter Stack except the solid purple is from Bazzill. My 4 embellies are 2 pinwheels from Queen & Co. and 2 black & clear blings from Recollections.

Mildred, this is an amazing layout! I love it! I'm definitely forgiving you for four different papers cause I know your cranking these amazing layouts for Bestie's wedding album! It's gorgeous, too!!! The photo just makes me smile....I know ya'll had a grand time!

suewho372
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 761

Post by suewho372 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 am

Great layout! Thanks for introducing us to Asia and Santa Gertrudis!! Very pretty babies!!
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com

butterfly843
A Cherry on Top
Layouts: 874

Post by butterfly843 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:30 pm

For the two patterned papers I used piggy tales and jillibean soup (the piggy tales had the blue back) and for my four embellishments I used the jillibean corrugated shape, chic tags calendar, mme dots and washi tape

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2991

Post by blbabe1234 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Here's mine:

I used 2 papers from MME "Hip Hooray". I flipped the "Surprise" paper (large dots) on the back to cut out a rectangle on the bottom. I flipped that rectangle over to reveal the light blue side. I taped the back of it hold together. I then used "Party" paper as a mat (red/white polka dot paper) and the yellow paper with the party hats.

My 4 embellies are the (1) Happy Birthday die cut; (2) yellow washi tape with 'Put on Your Party Hat" die cut; (3) cupcake die cut with the #2 sticker; and (4) the yellow washi tape with the party hat die cut.
~ Brandy Williams ~

Image Image

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1646

Post by oceanbreezes423 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Here is my entry. My 4 embellies are ribbon, butterfly, memories resin, and tag.

Susan  Image

scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1321

Post by scrapy1967 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:56 am

I used one sheet of MME cut and paste and one sheet of we R memory keepers paper. WeR cardstock flowers,fancy pants tag,MME cut and paste tag.
ImageImage 

CherryTat
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 492

Post by CherryTat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:55 pm

I was going to make a card for the challenge- so I don't need to use any embellishments, just the papers???
Image      Image    Image 

My blog...My tattooed paper heart

CherryTat
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 492

Post by CherryTat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:43 pm

I went ahead with the card Kim, I was in the groove lol If it's not suitable for the challenge, no worries!!!

Image      Image    Image 

My blog...My tattooed paper heart

sweetsour
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 898

Post by sweetsour » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 pm

hi, here's mine. It was fun & I combined with the Becky Fleck #50.
so my 2 papers are:
1. (flowered and yellow gingham) both sides of MME Miss Caroline Fiddlestix I cut it & flipped the top around.
2. Only one side used (grey houndstooth) of MME Follow Your Heart Be Amazing paper
and 4 embellies are:
1.yellow strip of washi
2. bracket journal card
3. rosette
4. Cosmo cricket border sticker

Karrie

Retiree3
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 4255

Post by Retiree3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Here is my LO.
I used 3 sheets of the double sided paper from Cloud9 Design distributed by Colorbok. My embellishments are 2 different flowers, a cross, and a bible quote.

[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 3364

Post by Deanna13 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:46 pm

For the 4x4 challenge, Background is 1 paper and the 2 paper strips are another paper. I built a couple embellie accents. #1-In the upper left corner I layered all the diecuts and accents, then I stitched them on the layout. #2-I layered accents on the Journal Tag, then added it to the layout. #3-Layered flowers and adhered them with a brad. #4- Chipboard Button by the title. My freebies were ink and word title.

I combined this with the Graphic Challenge.

Fabulous Love
 ImageImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 240

Post by Scrap Bug » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Here's mine:

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Papers: Everybody Loves Christmas by Echo Park (I only used 3 of the 4 patterns)[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Element 1: Snowflake button
Element 2: Snowflake button
Element 3: Handmade Title embellishment
Element 4: Handmade Journal box emebellishment
[/highlight]
[/highlight]

Here are the handmade elements:
Melissa

MacSarah
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 274

Post by MacSarah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Still not sure I have a good understanding of this challenge... But I tried:

My embellishments are the Rose, the swirl, the tags in the top corners.
~Sarah~

joannie
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1620

Post by joannie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:23 am

First I want to thank Sandi0805 for walking me thru this challenge. This is the first time I've done it!! & I will do again!! I really enjoyed it!!

I used MME, On the Brightside pp's.
Paper #1 side A - white lined paper that i made into a corner embellishment
and side B - white barn wood (backgound)
Paper #2 side A - stripe border
and side B - Blue denim circle
& my four embellies: ribbon, blue chipboard star, red chipboard star, and flower

Return to “Contests & Challenges”