October: Christmas in October challenge

Moderator: ACOT Employee

cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 256

October: Christmas in October challenge

Post by cajenkins81 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Hello ladies! I wasn't sure if I was going to host a challenge or not this month, since we're moving this weekend and things have been busy. BUT, the greatest idea just came to me! lol. So I figured I'd share.

I will NOT be able to provide a prize for the winner of this challenge. Just for fun!!

We are moving to Hot Springs (Arkansas) and it is such a beautiful place. Well, technically we're moving to a little town north called Hot Springs Village. And we've found a house to rent that has a bonus room which the realtors have dubbed "The Arkansas Room." So I asked "What's that, I've never heard of that. It just looks like a bonus room or den." The lady said "Well down in Florida rooms like this were called Florida rooms, so we called it an Arkansas room." It's part of a deck that was enclosed and became part of the house. It has more windows than the other rooms, looks out over the back yard/wooded area, and is quite pretty.

So I'm drawing inspiration from this, for this month's Christmas challenge.

Create a LAYOUT (no cards) that focuses on or includes somewhere on the page, something about Christmas in whatever state you live in, or if you have pics from another state you DID live in, Christmas in that state. For example, Christmas in New York with pics from NYC, Rockefeller Tree, etc., or Christmas in Vermont (Colorado, Pennsylvania, etc.) where the tradition is to go cut your own tree, etc. Make a layout about Christmas in... whatever state. It does not have to be said in the title, but there needs to be some explanation on the page somewhere (Title, journaling) explaining how you do Christmas where you live. Does this make sense?? Please let me know if you have any questions.

IF you live in Canada or another place, then use the name of the province/etc. in your title.

You may include cities if you wish, but you MUST have the state/province somewhere. That's the kicker for this month's challenge.

Open to digi/hybrid/paper. Layouts only. Due by 11:59 pm October 31st. MAY be combined with one other challenge that allows.

Have fun!
Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
Year: 125, 1 card, 2 projects, 2 tags 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

My New Blog! Scrapper, Interrupted

MacSarah
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 274

Re: October: Christmas in October challenge

Post by MacSarah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 pm

This is a great challenge. I know just the thing that is specific to my home town. Have a safe and easy move.
~Sarah~

cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by cajenkins81 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:52 pm

MacSarah wrote:This is a great challenge. I know just the thing that is specific to my home town. Have a safe and easy move.

Sounds great! Don't forget to use the state in there somewhere :)

Thanks for the well wishes. will post pics when we get all moved in of course!
Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 837

Post by average_kim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Hmmm, sounds interesting. This will require some thought . . .
Kim

Image Image  

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 2871

Post by blbabe1234 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:18 pm

cool challenge
~ Brandy Williams ~

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

citygirl22
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 172

Post by citygirl22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Oh man, we have this jingle that plays on the radio in the month of December .. "it's a happy holiday, in Vancouver" ... and now I have it stuck in my head! lol Great challenge Carolyn!
Stephanie
I blog @ Skyline Paperie

cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by cajenkins81 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm

citygirl22 wrote:Oh man, we have this jingle that plays on the radio in the month of December .. "it's a happy holiday, in Vancouver" ... and now I have it stuck in my head! lol Great challenge Carolyn!

LOL! Love it!

I was thinking of the "funny" things about a Louisiana Christmas, what with the Cajun Night before Christmas and all lol. (tho I'm not of Cajun lineage haha and don't have any pics, except if someone had a pic of them at Christmas in shorts, for ANYWHERE in the south, this could work! lol). That actually happened our first year married at Thanksgiving, it was like 80 degrees out and our tiny apartment was HOT with the oven going too!

cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by cajenkins81 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm

citygirl22 wrote:Oh man, we have this jingle that plays on the radio in the month of December .. "it's a happy holiday, in Vancouver" ... and now I have it stuck in my head! lol Great challenge Carolyn!

Does this by chance take the tune of the Mary Poppins song "It's a jolly Holiday with you, Bert..." lol. Cause that's how I read it in my head! haha

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1576

Post by oceanbreezes423 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:05 pm

This could be interesting!
Susan Image Image

suewho372
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 705

Post by suewho372 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm

thanks for the challenge!
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com

Ayla
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 1078

Post by Ayla » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 am

I have a great picture from last Christmas to use for this. Thanks for a great challenge!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

blfonty
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 627

Post by blfonty » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks for the challenge, Carolyn. Good luck with your move this weekend!
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie     

Image     Image     

debamas
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 228

Post by debamas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:50 pm

cajenkins81 wrote:

LOL! Love it!

I was thinking of the "funny" things about a Louisiana Christmas, what with the Cajun Night before Christmas and all lol. (tho I'm not of Cajun lineage haha and don't have any pics, except if someone had a pic of them at Christmas in shorts, for ANYWHERE in the south, this could work! lol). That actually happened our first year married at Thanksgiving, it was like 80 degrees out and our tiny apartment was HOT with the oven going too!

YEP, I do have a couple of those pics in shorts or shirtless with my boys. Great idea, I'm gonna do this one.
Debbie

debamas
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 228

Post by debamas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Here we go. Florida, the Sunshine state , no white Christmases unless you are on the beach,LOL. Many times it's not cold enough for those new Christmas sweaters, LOL. However, I do remember a Christmas with a hard freeze too...so you just never know. Fun challenge!

Debbie

cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by cajenkins81 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:33 pm

debamas wrote:Here we go. Florida, the Sunshine state , no white Christmases unless you are on the beach,LOL. Many times it's not cold enough for those new Christmas sweaters, LOL. However, I do remember a Christmas with a hard freeze too...so you just never know. Fun challenge!

Yay! My first taker! LOVE what you did for this one Deb! Too true, that it's a little different doing Christmas in the South. Some years it's quite warm and others it does indeed surprise you with a chill! Love the alphas you used and how you positioned the "Christmas" letters. Cute Santa embelly too. Thanks for doing my challenge!

average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 837

Post by average_kim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Here's my entry! I had a hard time coming up with something unique to our state, but I decided to go with mistletoe being our state "flower." These photos were perfect. They are of my DH throwing a snowball at me while I was trying to take pictures of him and our kids playing in the snow.

Kim

Image Image  

cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by cajenkins81 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:43 am

average_kim wrote:Here's my entry! I had a hard time coming up with something unique to our state, but I decided to go with mistletoe being our state "flower." These photos were perfect. They are of my DH throwing a snowball at me while I was trying to take pictures of him and our kids playing in the snow.

Love what you came up with for this challenge! I like the design and the papers you used. And the title is too cute! Thanks for doing my challenge!

Return to “Contests & Challenges”