December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Post Reply
User avatar
rachel0017
Cherry Blossom
Posts: 402
Layouts: 164

December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by rachel0017 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Our featured book this month is The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg. In The Polar Express, a boy rides a mysterious train to The North Pole, where Santa chooses him to receive the first gift of Christmas. He asks for one of the reindeer’s bells, and upon returning home, realizes that his parents cannot hear the bell’s tinkle, though he and his sister can, because they still believe in Santa and the magic of Christmas. This book has become a Christmas classic, and with a movie version having been released in 2004, it is common practice for schools to have “Polar Express Day” prior to winter break, where teachers read the book, and kids come to school dressed in their PJs, watch the movie, and drink hot chocolate. 



Image

OPTION 1: Unusual Transportation

In the book, the boy rides a train, which is not a widely used mode of transportation anymore. So, for Option 1, make an unusual transportation page. Have you taken a helicopter ride? Traveled by boat? Biked to work? Any mode of transportation goes, EXCEPT car or plane!



OPTION 2: The Unexpected Gift

The boy chooses a reindeer’s bell as his perfect and special gift, but his parents aren’t impressed because they believe the bell is broken since they can’t hear it. So, for Option 2, make a page about a gift that fell short of expectation. It can be a gift you were really excited about, but the recipient wasn’t, or one you received that wasn’t quite what you expected. It doesn’t have to be a Christmas gift - any gift from any occasion will do!

Sample for Option 2: The Unexpected Gift
Image

The Fine Print:

1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!

2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.

3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.

4. Due December 31st, at 11:59 PM.

5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from us!

6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.

7. A RAK is awarded to a second winner if there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month.



Participants:
1. oceanbreezes423
Last edited by rachel0017 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Deanna13
Cherry Delight
Posts: 32261
Layouts: 2612
Location: Southeastern Ohio

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by Deanna13 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Great options! Love the transportation one! :)
Image Image

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

User avatar
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Posts: 62272
Layouts: 2773
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by blbabe1234 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 pm

What a fun challenge
~ Brandy Williams ~


Image 
Image 

Visit my blog - Brandy's Lab

User avatar
joannie
Cherry Jubilee
Posts: 13253
Layouts: 1289
Location: Indiana

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by joannie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:30 pm

LOVE that movie!! & great challenge!!

User avatar
emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee
Posts: 12860
Layouts: 962
Location: Eagleville PA

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by emmapaige » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:45 pm

What a wonderful challenge.  By the way - even though I didn't participate in last month's Book Lover's Challenge, I DID end up buying the book on my Kindle and reading it.  Thanks for turning me on to The Five People You Meet in Heaven.  It was an excellent read.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

Image  ImageImageImageImage
 

User avatar
blfonty
Cherry Garcia
Posts: 4335
Layouts: 543
Location: East Tennessee

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by blfonty » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Love the book and the movie! Now I want some hot cocoa... I just printed a set of photos that will be perfect for the challenge! Thanks Rachel.
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie     Image     Image     

User avatar
rachel0017
Cherry Blossom
Posts: 402
Layouts: 164

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by rachel0017 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 pm

emmapaige wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:45 pm
What a wonderful challenge.  By the way - even though I didn't participate in last month's Book Lover's Challenge, I DID end up buying the book on my Kindle and reading it.  Thanks for turning me on to The Five People You Meet in Heaven.  It was an excellent read.

This makes me so so happy! It is truly one of my all-time favorite books, and one that is often on my mind. A sequel was published at the beginning of October. It's called The Next Person You Meet in Heaven, and it follows the story of Annie, the little girl Eddie saved in the amusement park accident at the beginning of The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I haven't read it yet, but it's on my Christmas list.  :-D

User avatar
emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee
Posts: 12860
Layouts: 962
Location: Eagleville PA

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by emmapaige » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 pm

rachel0017 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 pm
emmapaige wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:45 pm
What a wonderful challenge.  By the way - even though I didn't participate in last month's Book Lover's Challenge, I DID end up buying the book on my Kindle and reading it.  Thanks for turning me on to The Five People You Meet in Heaven.  It was an excellent read.

This makes me so so happy! It is truly one of my all-time favorite books, and one that is often on my mind. A sequel was published at the beginning of October. It's called The Next Person You Meet in Heaven, and it follows the story of Annie, the little girl Eddie saved in the amusement park accident at the beginning of The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I haven't read it yet, but it's on my Christmas list.  :-D 

I saw that, too.  I'll wait for your review before purchasing!!  :-D
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

Image  ImageImageImageImage
 

User avatar
oceanbreezes423
Cherry Cropper
Posts: 10838
Layouts: 1451

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by oceanbreezes423 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:40 pm

I had the perfect photos for option #1, unusual mode of transportation. A hot air balloon! It was awesome!
I combined with the Graphic design challenge.

Image
Susan Image Image

User avatar
Tammey
Cherry Bomb
Posts: 3754
Layouts: 813
Location: Burton, MI

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by Tammey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am

Morning Rachel, does the photo have to have me in it? I have the perfect photo but I am the one taking it...

User avatar
rachel0017
Cherry Blossom
Posts: 402
Layouts: 164

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by rachel0017 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm

tmp718 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am
Morning Rachel, does the photo have to have me in it? I have the perfect photo but I am the one taking it...
Hi Tammey,

Nope! You don't have to be in the photo at all! Thanks for checking.
 

User avatar
1scrappymom
Cherry Bomb
Posts: 3086
Layouts: 437

Re: December 2018 Book Lover’s Challenge

Post by 1scrappymom » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:50 pm

This is awesome. We actually took a train ride last year and did the Polar Express experience. I have been meaning to get those pictures scrapped. Guess this is a good time to do it!  
~Shannon
My Blog -->  blinnsblog
 

Post Reply

Return to “Contests & Challenges”