July 2019 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 204

July 2019 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!

Post by rachel0017 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:58 pm

So sorry for the delay in posting, but the winner of this month's challenge, as chosen by random.org is #3: love2stamp!!! Congratulations!

The Book Lover’s Challenge turns three this month, and we’re going to celebrate its anniversary by revisiting its roots. Three years ago, the Book Lover’s Challenge began with Harry Potter, since his birthday is July 31st. The Harry Potter series was then, is now, and always will be, my greatest literary love. I call myself a “First Generation” Harry Potter fan, because I read the books as they were being written. I remember going to the midnight release parties to buy the next book when it was published, and staying up all night to devour it. Now, I get to revisit the series in a whole new way as I read the books with my daughter. It is so fun for me to see her experience everything for the first time, and I admit that I am living vicariously through her, in a way, because I have such a love for this series. So, wands at the ready, we’re heading back to Hogwarts!

OPTION 1: Potterheads, Unite!
Option 1 is very simple: make a page with a Harry Potter theme. I know I’m not the only Potterhead out there, so anything goes on this page – your trip to HP World at Universal, the HP birthday party your child/grandchild/niece/nephew had, that time you dressed up as Hermione for Halloween, etc. As long as Harry Potter is, in some way, the theme of the page, you’re good.

OPTION 2: Dumbledore’s Wisdom
Albus Dumbledore, esteemed headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, is hands-down, my favorite character in the series. His blend of humility, understanding, omniscience, loyalty, and fun make him eminently likeable. Throughout the series, Dumbledore acts as Harry’s mentor, imparting him with wise sayings to help Harry, and all the students really, understand more about themselves. For this option, choose one of Dumbledore’s ten inspiring sayings below, and create a page around it. The quote can be your title, an accent, or simply part of your journaling, but the quote must appear on the page somewhere. Also, this does NOT have to be a Harry Potter themed page. Just let the quote lead you wherever it will.

1. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
  2. It is our choices that show what us we truly are, far more than our abilities.
  3. It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.
  4. Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
  5. There will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.
  6. Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic.
  7. Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.
  8. Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
  9. Curiosity is not a sin…. But we should exercise caution with our curiosity.
  10. We must try not to sink beneath our anguish . . . but battle on.
Quote #2 is on the navy strip just above the journaling.

This month, you'll get a BONUS ENTRY if you take the Sorting Hat quiz, to see which Hogwarts house you’re in! To take the “official” quiz, you’d have to create an account on WizardingWorld.com, however, a version of it, which pulls questions from the original quiz, can be found here - http://wizardmore.com/sorting-hat/ - and you don’t have to create an account. For the bonus, simply take a screen shot of your result and post it in this thread, in the same spot as your layout. Please note, while you can submit more than one layout, you can only get the bonus once.

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due July 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from us!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. A RAK is awarded to a second winner if there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month.

Participants:

1. Retiree3
2. joannie
3. love2stamp
4. love2stamp (BONUS)
5. joannie
6. joannie (BONUS)
7. scrappinmom99
8. Deanna13
9. Deanna13
10. oceanbreezes423
11. Kayla S. 
Last edited by rachel0017 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1073

Re: July 2019 Book Lover's Challenge

Post by CarrieG » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 pm

oh my   dare I admit that I have never read a HP book or seen a movie?? 

joannie
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1437

Post by joannie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:21 pm

:greeninlove: LOVE the HP books and movies!! Someday I hope to see the wizarding world at Universal!! 
These are 2 great challenges!!

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 2934

Post by Deanna13 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:49 am

DH and I are also big Harry Potter fans and bought each of the books as soon as they came out. We've also seen all the movies. Some of the grandkids have also read the books and some of the younger ones are getting into the movies now. Like Joannie we would also love to see the wizarding world at Universal one day!!  Great options! :-D
Image ImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

scrappinmom99
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 769

Post by scrappinmom99 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

This challenge is made for me!! I was working as an assistant at Doubleday Book Club in the 90s when HP first came out. One of my friends read the manuscript of it. She raved and raved and the editors thought it was "just a kids book" and it was just a blip on the radar, Ha!! When we put together a Y2K time capsule, we put in a first edition of Sorcerer's Stone. I didn't read the books until I read them with DS when he was in 3-4th grades (2008ish) and by the time we got to Order of the Phoenix he could read them on his own, so we read them book-club style. Which was good because who wants their mom reading to them about all that snogging  :greenwinkb: :greeninlove: We made sure to read each book before we saw the movie until Deathly Hallows 1 came out and he had a school trip that I chaperoned. We were not prepared for Dobby  :(  Also read them with DD when she was in grade school in the 2010s. Her 11th bday party was Harry Potter themed. We've been to see the traveling movie props exhibit twice (once for my 40th bday, because that's how geek girl rolls LOL!). I have so much HP themed supplies and have just be hoarding them. I need to cut into them and start using them so thanks for putting up this challenge! I'm excited to see what everybody will create!

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

Natalie Dill
Cherry Tart
Layouts: 97

Post by Natalie Dill » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:07 am

You are speaking my language! I love all things potter and even have a HP tattoo. I started playing Wizards Unite this weekend too, so fun (altho very draining on your battery). Love this challenge - can't wait to play along!
Natalie 💖 🍒  Find more at Dillightfully Crafty

Flasher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 249

Post by Flasher » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:28 am

CarrieG wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm with you, Carrie.  I have zero interest in Harry Potter.  But, the quotes for Option 2 are interesting!
Life is not a fairy tale.  If you lose your shoe at midnight, you're drunk.

sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 559

Post by sherelm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:17 am

Love love love Harry and the gang! I was in Wizarding World for New Year's this year, and I was amazed at everything, fine tuned more than Disney, and I Love Disneyland, WDW, as well!

My favorite character is Moaning Myrtle!! I did take the what house are you in quiz and I'm a Ravenclaw. But I'm game to take it again!!

sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 559

Post by sherelm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 am

sherelm wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:17 am
Love love love Harry and the gang! I was in Wizarding World for New Year's this year, and I was amazed at everything, fine tuned more than Disney, and I Love Disneyland, WDW, as well!

My favorite character is Moaning Myrtle!! I did take the what house are you in quiz and I'm a Ravenclaw. But I'm game to take it again!!

Ok, I must not be as nice as I used to be. I got Slytherin this time! I'll post screenshot when I'm not on my phone.

MTCanuk
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 778

Post by MTCanuk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 am

My youngest daughter also grew up reading the books as they were released. Then, I thought I should see what all the hype was abpout and read them too. Big HP fans. Great challenge.
Visit my blog:http://mtcanuk.blogspot.com/
Leslee

1scrappymom
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 486

Post by 1scrappymom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm such a Potterhead and my SS sent me some awesome papers I can use!!
~Shannon
My Blog -->  blinnsblog

shoorn
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 1381

Post by shoorn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Definitely a Harry Potter fan here! I read the books as they came out - and have reread them! Took the quiz and I am Ravenclaw!
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

teenybop61
Cherry Tart
Layouts: 35

Post by teenybop61 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 am

CarrieG wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Hey Carrie, you and I are in the same boat LOL. Never seen the movies, never read the books, don't own any of them either. Not my cup of tea I guess you could say, but some of the quotes listed above seem interesting. 

Retiree3
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 3793

Post by Retiree3 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:35 pm

I chose option 2.

[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

joannie
Cherry Jubilee

Post by joannie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:16 pm

We're big fans of Harry Potter! On this layout of my daughters college visit I used one of the quotes from Albus Dumbledore.
Here is a closer look. #2 quote

love2stamp
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 727

Post by love2stamp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:59 pm

ImageImageImageImage

rachel0017
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 204

Post by rachel0017 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:05 am

sherelm wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 am
sherelm wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:17 am

Ok, I must not be as nice as I used to be. I got Slytherin this time! I'll post screenshot when I'm not on my phone. 

Oh no! Ha ha ha! If you consider yourself a Ravenclaw (because, believe me, I know how important House identity is!) you can post a screen shot of that, if you still have access to the account where you took that quiz. No worries!

joannie
Cherry Jubilee

Post by joannie » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 pm

My screenshot of my sorting hat quiz result is in the layout. I decided to take the other 2 quizzes too & scrap them!! 
I combined this challenge with the title challenge!

scrappinmom99
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 769

Post by scrappinmom99 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Of all the Harry Potter-themed pictures I thought I'd scrap for this challenge, this was not one of them LOL! I had forgotten about these photos. Dh & I were looking thru vacation pics and I remembered that she was pretending to be Dumbledore here  :greeninlove: :greeninlove: I even included one of the "Wizard photos" from the chocolate frogs we used to get! :) 

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 2934

Post by Deanna13 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:40 am

Here's one using Option #2: Quote 2. It is our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities. :)

Photos of oldest granddaughter Kaylee playing softball on her Varsity Team, April 2019. :greeninlove:
Score!
Image ImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

Return to “Contests & Challenges”