NOV GD CHALLENGE #5**CLOSED WITH WINNERS!**

Moderator: ACOT Employee

StacyLee
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 527

NOV GD CHALLENGE #5**CLOSED WITH WINNERS!**

Post by StacyLee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 am

THANK YOU to all of the cherries that participated in this challenge!  I really enjoyed reading all of your tips, tricks & techniques and learned some new things to try!  I enjoyed it so much I decided to pick a second random winner for 250 sprinkles  :-D   Everyone who shared is receiving sprinkles, also.  The random winners of this challenge are...…….lissahope26 for 500 points AND...…….scrappinmom99 for 250 points!! Congratulations ladies!!

Hey cherries! I'm going to change things up a bit on this one so that everyone that participates will earn sprinkles!  For any of you that are new to playing along at ACOT, "sprinkles" are cherry points, the same that you earn when you collect cherries in the ACOT store and can be redeemed towards ACOT store orders. 

Do you have a favorite tip, trick or technique you like to use on your projects?  Your challenge is to share it with us here!  I love learning from my fellow scrappers, and I'm going to share one of my favorite tricks I use ALL the time that I learned at a crop many years ago.  I was working on a layout, trying to decide where to place a cardstock sticker. I wanted to move it around to decide where I wanted it, but didn't want it to stick to my paper and rip if I moved it.  A lady at the crop said to rub a little bit of baby powder to the back & it will cover the adhesive, making it like a die cut.  I have had a travel size baby powder in my craft room and crop bag ever since!  The nice thing is that once you decide where you want it, you can use adhesive or pop dots and they will stick with no problem.  Here's a collage of pictures to show you what I mean:
ImageAnd here's my finished product, where I used pop dots on the magnolia sticker:
ImageI created a new card to share one of my favorite scrapbooking tricks, but for this challenge you DO NOT have to create something new.  You don't even have to share a picture, but I encourage you to do so if you can! It doesn't have to be an original idea that you came up with yourself, in my sample it's something I learned from a fellow scrapper.  It can be a tip that you've found helpful over your years of crafting, a technique you saw demonstrated & now you love it...I think you get the idea, but if you have any questions please let me know! Please read the rules below, this thread is closing early.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what you share and learning new things from you!

Rules: 
Share a crafting/scrapbooking tip, trick or technique in this thread.  
Sharing a picture is optional, but please do so if you can
One entry per person
No combining with any other challenge on this one
This one is closing early, all entries must be posted in this thread by NOVEMBER 23, 2019
All participants will receive sprinkles, and one randomly selected winner will receive 500 sprinkles!

Last edited by StacyLee on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Stacy
Visit my blog - #InMyLife

Image   Image

emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1208

Re: NOVEMBER GD CHALLENGE #5**FOR SPRINKLES**

Post by emmapaige » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am

What a great tip and really looking forward to what other Cherries share. I’ve got my thinking cap on.

and your card is gorgeous!
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

Image  ImageImageImage

wimom
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 347

Post by wimom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am

Great idea! I have something in mind and will be back to post with a photo. Your card is just beautiful!
Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin

Vicki R.
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 86

Post by Vicki R. » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:23 pm

I love this and use it too.  I add my foam tape to the back and then apply the baby powder.  So much better than leaving it sticky.  TFS!

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1115

Post by CarrieG » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:06 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm  the only thing I can think of without serious thought...........is I get photos that I am going to scrap printed twice..in each direction...so that when I scrap it if ..say I don't like how a vertical photo is looking, I can switch to a horizontal photo

EXAMPLE
Last edited by CarrieG on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee

Post by emmapaige » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:52 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:06 pm
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm  the only thing I can think of without serious thought...........is I get photos that I am going to scrap printed twice..in each direction...so that when I scrap it if ..say I don't like how a vertical photo is looking, I can switch to a horizontal photo

Hmmmm...how do you do that?  When I TAKE the photo it is either landscape or portrait and I would love to know how I could print a landscape photo horizontal.
** Chris **

Image  ImageImageImage

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by CarrieG » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 pm

emmapaige wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:52 pm
CarrieG wrote:

Hmmmm...how do you do that?  When I TAKE the photo it is either landscape or portrait and I would love to know how I could print a landscape photo horizontal. 
doesn't always work...but I don't print at home..i use the Fuji machine at Walmart and I can edit and usually get it to work either way...I will try and post an example

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by CarrieG » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:21 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 pm
emmapaige wrote:
CarrieG wrote:

doesn't always work...but I don't print at home..i use the Fuji machine at Walmart and I can edit and usually get it to work either way...I will try and post an example

I posted an example in my original post :)

emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee

Post by emmapaige » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 pm
emmapaige wrote:
CarrieG wrote:

Maybe that's why I can't figure out how to do that since I print my photos at home.

** Chris **

Image  ImageImageImage

Yankeegirl
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1023

Post by Yankeegirl » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm

emmapaige wrote:
CarrieG wrote:

Chris, I print all my photos at home (Canon MG7520).  I can adapt almost any original print to any size, like 2x2, 3x4, 4x5 etc. and change the orientation in my photo package which is on my computer.  I use Adobe Photoshop Elements, but there are other photo packages that do this too.   And once you buy Photoshop, even though they try to get you to upgrade every year, you don't have to.  It will still work, and if all you want to do is print and crop and adjust color, etc. it is perfect!  And easy to learn.  Anyway, the tip to changing orientation is to use a DSLR camera, and shoot farther back, so you have some space around the photo to crop.  You could do this  with your camera, too.  What you can't do is close crop a photo, because you need some space around the image to flip it.

And for the powder on the back of photos, another tip I have:  I just carry a powder bag, which is intended for wiping cardstock when you emboss to keep powder from sticking.  I just wipe it across the sticker and bam.....no more stick.  Lasts forever.
"Good friends are like stars...
You don't always see them,
But you know they are always there."

Kathy

emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee

Post by emmapaige » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Yankeegirl wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm
emmapaige wrote:
CarrieG wrote:

Chris, I print all my photos at home (Canon MG7520).  I can adapt almost any original print to any size, like 2x2, 3x4, 4x5 etc. and change the orientation in my photo package which is on my computer.  I use Adobe Photoshop Elements, but there are other photo packages that do this too.   And once you buy Photoshop, even though they try to get you to upgrade every year, you don't have to.  It will still work, and if all you want to do is print and crop and adjust color, etc. it is perfect!  And easy to learn.  Anyway, the tip to changing orientation is to use a DSLR camera, and shoot farther back, so you have some space around the photo to crop.  You could do this  with your camera, too.  What you can't do is close crop a photo, because you need some space around the image to flip it.

And for the powder on the back of photos, another tip I have:  I just carry a powder bag, which is intended for wiping cardstock when you emboss to keep powder from sticking.  I just wipe it across the sticker and bam.....no more stick.  Lasts forever. 

Kathy - I have Photoshop Elements and have bought it with every computer I've ever bought.  I've never learned how to use it - I promised myself that once I retired I'd take the time to learn. Ugh....I start and get frustrated and close it out. So if I promise to make you a yummy Lemon Drop Martini....can you teach me!! LOL!!
** Chris **

Image  ImageImageImage

emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee

Post by emmapaige » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Does distressing papers and/or embellishments by running over them with my computer chair count?  I just did that today with my beloved Vicki Boutin stash.    :-D :-D :-D
** Chris **

Image  ImageImageImage

Flasher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 255

Post by Flasher » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Love the tip about the baby powder!

When I'm working on a layout that is Thicker Alpha heavy,  I lay my phrase/title/words out on strips of wax paper so I can see how they will look and fit. 
I don't know what my spirit animal is, but I'm pretty sure it has rabies.

joannie
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1498

Post by joannie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm

emmapaige wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:37 pm
Does distressing papers and/or embellishments by running over them with my computer chair count?  I just did that today with my beloved Vicki Boutin stash.    :-D :-D :-D
LOL!!!! 

scrappinmom99
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 834

Post by scrappinmom99 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm

emmapaige wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:35 pm
Yankeegirl wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm
emmapaige wrote:

Kathy - I have Photoshop Elements and have bought it with every computer I've ever bought.  I've never learned how to use it - I promised myself that once I retired I'd take the time to learn. Ugh....I start and get frustrated and close it out. So if I promise to make you a yummy Lemon Drop Martini....can you teach me!! LOL!! 

I also have Photoshop Elements and have no idea how to use it! Ack!!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

mrozwood
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 133

Post by mrozwood » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:44 pm

I learned this from Mercy Tiara on YouTube.

If you're not sure where to put your alphas (title or other sticky type things), put it on wax paper first.  Then you can move it around the page and adjust it before finally adhering it.
~Melanie

It's ok, I scrapbook.

lissahope26
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 957

Post by lissahope26 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 pm

When I’m working on a double page layout, i scotch tape or washi tape the two base pages together on the backside. That way I can get everything spaced and aligned. I remove the tape when done.
Melissa H.

wimom
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 347

Post by wimom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:10 pm

I don't stamp that much, especially considering how many stamps I have accumulated. I never felt like I could get a good, clean image. But my Tim Holtz stamping platform has really made a difference. I am able to stamp an image multiple times and get much better results!  In my photo below, I stamped Merry Christmas three times, going from a spotty light red image to a much better, darker color. It also helps with repeat stamping of an image, like the pawprints in the corners. If you struggle with stamping, my tip is, try a stamping platform! 
Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin

Tammey
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 1000

Post by Tammey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:27 am

For those of us that do not have non-stick scissors...finger nail polish remover will remove the gunk from regular scissors. 

lissahope26
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 957

Post by lissahope26 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am

Here’s another from Jen Schow...if you want to use chipboard but don’t want the “bulk” that goes along with it...peel some of the back layers off to make it less bulky. Then add your own adhesive to adhere it.
Melissa H.

Return to “Contests & Challenges”