January 2021 Book Lover's Challenge- UPDATED WITH WINNERS!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

rachel0017
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 296

January 2021 Book Lover's Challenge- UPDATED WITH WINNERS!

Post by rachel0017 »

Thank you to everyone who participated this month! The winner of the $5 gift card is: #4 - 1scrappymom! The winner of the RAK is: #32 - oceanbreezes423. Congratulations!

Last year, I really enjoyed focusing my book challenges around books I had recently finished. It encouraged me to keep reading, and helped me make sure my challenges were fresh and new each month. Therefore, I’m going to follow that same format for this year!

I’m sure that in the years I’ve been doing this challenge, I have repeated authors at some point. But, I don’t think I have ever repeated authors in back-to-back months. After I read Britt-Marie, I put Fredrik Backman’s newest book, Anxious People, on hold at the library. I was #49 on the list and had made my peace with not being able to read it until June. Then, I received it as a Christmas present! I started it immediately, and I do believe I might have found a new favorite author.  

A bank robbery gone wrong. A hostage situation at an apartment viewing where things turn out alright. And a suspect who seems to have vanished into thin air. These are the strange events Jim and Jack, partners on the police force, are sent to investigate. In a sleepy Swedish town where nothing exciting ever happens, they don’t even know where to begin, but they are determined to solve the case before their boss sends in “the experts from Stockholm” to assist. However, they are battling against witnesses who lie, lives that are intertwined, and their own demons. But, what’s really going on here? Is this a story about a bank robbery? Is it a hostage drama? Or maybe it’s just a good old-fashioned mystery? Yes, it is all of those things as well as a story about bridges. Mostly, though, it is a story about people and how hard it is to just be a human being these days. It’s about the lies we tell ourselves and each other, the ways we hurt one another, and the ways in which we help one another as well, because no one can get through life alone.

OPTION 1: HIDDEN ELEMENTS
For much of the book, the police officers are working under the assumption that the suspect must be hiding somewhere in the apartment. As a result, for Option 1, include a hidden element somewhere on your page. You can hide some extra photos, the journaling, or anything else you can think of. Just be sure to include a photo of what’s hidden!

Example for Option 1: Hidden photos behind the journaling 
Example for Option 1: Hidden journaling and photos behind the focal photo

OPTION 2: ROUTINES, HABITS, OR TRADITIONS
In the book, each character has his or her own anxieties and deals with them in different ways. Rather than face their individual demons, many rely on the daily routines of life to quell their anxieties, so for Option 2, make a page about a daily routine or tradition in which your family engages OR about a habit you’ve worked to cultivate or would like to cultivate in the new year.

This month, you'll get a BONUS ENTRY if you make a layout entirely using photos that do NOT include people.

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due January 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. A RAK is awarded to a second winner if there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month.

Participants:

1. aheatfan
2. aheatfan (BONUS)
3. aheatfan
4. 1scrappymom
5. 1scrappymom (BONUS)
6. mrozwood
7. LoreenC
8. Aztam
9. Aztam (BONUS)
10. aheatfan
11. aheatfan (BONUS)
12. all4ty
13. LoreenC
14. LoreenC (BONUS)
15. jcsmaestra
16. jcsmaestra (BONUS)
17. Karyn_Sue
18. emmapaige
19. emmapaige (BONUS)
20. Deanna13
21. Retiree3
22. Donna_Coughlin
23. Donna_Coughlin (BONUS)
24. LoreenC
25. lissahope26
26. karen c.
27. karen c. (BONUS)
28. traveler
29. traveler (BONUS)
30. Tammey
31. Sandi0805
32. oceanbreezes423
33. oceanbreezes423 (BONUS)
34. hsblair
35. hsblair (BONUS)

Last edited by rachel0017 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1566

Re: January 2021 Book Lover's Challenge

Post by emmapaige »

That sounds like an excellent book. Will be checking it out. Love your options this month and I already have an idea.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1803

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

The wheels are spinning on this one!
Susan  Image    Image
emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1566

Post by emmapaige »

emmapaige wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:03 am
That sounds like an excellent book. Will be checking it out. Love your options this month and I already have an idea.

I just ordered the book for my Kindle.  I have to finish the book I'm reading now, but this will definitely be my next read.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage

1scrappymom
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 739

Post by 1scrappymom »

Varying inspiring! I wish I had more time to read! Great challenge!
Shannon
My Blog -->  BlinnsBlog
Instagram --> @onescrappymom71
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 506

Post by aheatfan »

First challenge of 2021. Chose Option # 2, a family tradition and bonus for no people in the layout. 

🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

Here's another one... got my mojo today.  Chose Option 1 - hidden journaling. 

🌴Kristin  
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3105

Post by blbabe1234 »

Beautiful examples and love your options!
Brandy Williams

ImageImage Image Image Image
scrappinmom99
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 1008

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Oh I love it, Rachel! I've been meaning to tell you that I received the RAK for last month's challenge - Thank you! I actually used some of the thingies right away and still have to upload that layout. It was a fun RAK! And I've also wanted to tell you that I have Britt-Marie on hold at the library to pick up in another week (the quarantine the books here!). I love Fredrik Backman too. Can't wait to read the new one too!!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
1scrappymom
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 739

Post by 1scrappymom »

Here's mine. Bonus - all pictures are without people. The hidden element, I made a pocket on the back to hold the map of the tree trail we participated in:
Shannon
My Blog -->  BlinnsBlog
Instagram --> @onescrappymom71
mrozwood
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 227

Post by mrozwood »

A glimpse of our traditions.
~Melanie

It's ok, I scrapbook.
rachel0017
Cherry Picker

Post by rachel0017 »

emmapaige wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:55 pm
emmapaige wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:03 am

I just ordered the book for my Kindle.  I have to finish the book I'm reading now, but this will definitely be my next read. 

Awesome! Please let me know what you think!
rachel0017
Cherry Picker

Post by rachel0017 »

scrappinmom99 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm
Oh I love it, Rachel! I've been meaning to tell you that I received the RAK for last month's challenge - Thank you! I actually used some of the thingies right away and still have to upload that layout. It was a fun RAK! And I've also wanted to tell you that I have Britt-Marie on hold at the library to pick up in another week (the quarantine the books here!). I love Fredrik Backman too. Can't wait to read the new one too!!

You're so welcome! I'm glad you were able to use what was in the RAK! Let me know what you think after you read Britt-Marie. I have another of Fredrick Backman's books on my nightstand, but I'm going to have to read something else first; I don't think I can do Fredrick Backman books three months in a row! 
scrappinmom99
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 1008

Post by scrappinmom99 »

rachel0017 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:06 pm
scrappinmom99 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm

You're so welcome! I'm glad you were able to use what was in the RAK! Let me know what you think after you read Britt-Marie. I have another of Fredrick Backman's books on my nightstand, but I'm going to have to read something else first; I don't think I can do Fredrick Backman books three months in a row!  
I still have to upload the layout but the 3x4 cards came in real handy for the title! Oh I love him. And I've only read My Grandmother Says...is that the one you have on your nightstand? That has Britt-Marie too! I know what you mean about reading the same author in a row. I'm on the last of Bernard Cornwell's Holy Grail trilogy and it's a bit heavy. So I'm really looking forward to Britt-Marie's shenanigans LOL!

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
LoreenC
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 799

Post by LoreenC »

Option #1. My DSD and DH from our camping trip last month to Alamo Lake State Park.
on the tag I used the front for more title/ sub title and put the Dam facts on the back, tucked behind the photos.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Aztam
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 194

Post by Aztam »

You have the most intriguing challenges, but also book choices. I’ve seen this author but not read any of his work yet. I must find a spot on my book queen list to add him.
👋

Tam
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Layouts: 800

Post by pawprints »

Another awesome Book Lover's Challenge! I already have an idea! You're layouts are wonderful!

Image Image  Image  Image

Aztam
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 194

Post by Aztam »

I used all the 3 possibilities in this layout. Hidden journaling about a tradition (coffee, every morning) and no people in the pic.Image
Last edited by Aztam on Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
👋

Tam
sherriscraps
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 198

Post by sherriscraps »

I love your challenge and am finding new books to read.  I just finished Gone girl which you talked about in one of your challenges.  It was good. 
Retired, scrapping and happy!
Sherri 
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

My last one...went with Option 2, hidden journaling and the bonus... no people. Thanks for another great challenge. 

🌴Kristin  

Return to “Contests & Challenges”