September Journaling Challenge

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 147

September Journaling Challenge

Post by Karyn_Sue »

So sorry about the delay in posting the winner!!!  Crazy life.  But better late than never.  Thanks to those who participated and I am glad that it inspired so many beautiful heartfelt layouts!  And our winner is Florac74!  I'll be getting your gift certificate right out!!

Greetings cherries!

Firsts I want to shout out to all the cherries in the areas of our country hard hit by either Hurricane IDA or the COVID pandemic. I hope you are all doing well and staying safe and healthy!

For this challenge we will be journaling about a major change in your life.  Sometimes we get so caught up in scrapping our children, grandchildren, furry children, holidays and vacations we forget to scrap about the major changes that occur in our own lives.  Things like a new job or retirement, going back to school or graduating, a move to a new area or to a new home, or becoming a mom/foster mom/grandma for the first time (if you just can't get away from those grandkid pics!) And yes, foster can include fostering rescues.

So here's a little background for my example layout:

I'm a nurse and although I am retired from full-time service I still work on a per diem (as needed) basis. Up until the pandemic I worked on the IV team in the hospital but my husband is one of those "severely immune compromised" individuals who just got their 3rd shot. In March 2020 my children were deathly afraid of me continuing to work in the hospital - "after all mom, you're retired" and wanted me to just stay home.  But my husband, who does computer programing and could easily work from home, is not retired yet and I didn't want to.  So, my boss, who is also my friend - (I hosted her baby shower!) - suggested I work on the county COVID hotline that our hospital was staffing and I was "temporarily" assigned to the hotline.  This was a huge change for me requiring many big and small adjustments - and that "temporary" assignment has lasted until the present day and continues to impact my life.

Your challenge is to identify a major life change to journal about.  Because I am doing a chronological pandemic album, I will continue the story of my journey and the many other major changes that occurred as a result (going remote, changing positions) on subsequent pages. But you can elaborate as much or as little as you want as long as you are identifying and addressing a major life changing event.  As with my 5W challenge, you may find a journaling card (like I did in my example) that includes an appropriate prompt.

Fine print (LOL): 

1) Entries must be new single or double page layouts and may be digital or paper. (Sorry, no cards)
2) Journaling MUST identify and address the impact of a major life changing event***
3) May be combined with one other challenge that allows combining.
4) Up to three entries allowed.
5) MOST IMPORTANT: DON'T STRESS! Journaling about ourselves is usually far more challenging than doing layouts of cute kids, adorable pets and happy holidays. But who do we scrapbook for?

***Please PM me with any questions you may have about whether or not something qualifies, but bottom line is if YOU found it life changing then who am I to say it wasn't?

Entries will be due 9/30/21.  

One lucky winner of this Challenge will be chosen at random to receive a $5 ACOT gift card. 

Participating cherries:
1. aheatfan
2. aheatfan
3. QueenBee89
4. QueenBee89
5. aheatfan
6. QueenBee 89
7. CarrieG
8. AmyJo
9. Florac74

Last edited by Karyn_Sue on Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

Image   Image
Craftyshannon
Cherry Berry
Layouts: 294

Re: September Journaling Challenge

Post by Craftyshannon »

My little one starts school next week *sniff*. It's a big change for us,  especially since we spent last year with her home due to covid,  so I think I'll journal about that.  
Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom

Post by Karyn_Sue »

Craftyshannon wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:20 pm
My little one starts school next week *sniff*. It's a big change for us,  especially since we spent last year with her home due to covid,  so I think I'll journal about that.  

Perfect!
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

Image   Image
Florac74
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 12

Post by Florac74 »

This is a great challenge. Thank you for sharing your story.
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3233

Post by blbabe1234 »

Awesome challenge and I love your example
Brandy Williams

ImageImage  Image ImageImage
emmapaige
Bowl Full of Cherries
Layouts: 1744

Post by emmapaige »

I have an idea for this. Your story is amazing.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImage Image

Mommyof5
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 38

Post by Mommyof5 »

Big change.....um...I got married.  lol.  My last name has been Willis since I was 17.  I didn't change it when I divorced my ex in 2014 because of my kids.  For 27 years of my life I have been known as Misty Willis.  On August 21st, that changed.  It is HUGE.  I didn't realize how much of an impact that small thing would be. 
Have a Wonderful Day!  ~Misty
Image   Image
Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom

Post by Karyn_Sue »

Mommyof5 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:04 am
Big change.....um...I got married.  lol.  My last name has been Willis since I was 17.  I didn't change it when I divorced my ex in 2014 because of my kids.  For 27 years of my life I have been known as Misty Willis.  On August 21st, that changed.  It is HUGE.  I didn't realize how much of an impact that small thing would be. 

Awesome choice!

Image   Image
aheatfan
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 868

Post by aheatfan »

Great challenge. For this one, I chose the obvious life changing event - Covid. Has changed the way I live in the everyday. Take time everyday to be present and appreciate all the things and people around me. 

🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImage

aheatfan
Cherry Bing

Post by aheatfan »

One more - change of profession. I had an amazing job but was missing lots of things in my little boys life and decided I could not let that happen. Went from a Marketing Manager in a Pharmaceutical company to a Special Education Teacher. Best decision I ever made. 

🌴Kristin  
ImageImage

CarrieG
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1362

Post by CarrieG »

ooo just now saw this challenge.....i will have to do this one soon!!!  great challenge!
scrappinmom99
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 1077

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Karyn Sue, great challenge to get us thinking about our own particular journeys! Your page is beautiful and I really love seeing you at work! Fabulous documentation!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom

Post by Karyn_Sue »

scrappinmom99 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:42 pm
Karyn Sue, great challenge to get us thinking about our own particular journeys! Your page is beautiful and I really love seeing you at work! Fabulous documentation!

Thank you. I realized that I’d been putting off scrapping the pandemic even though I’d bought a ton of perfect papers. It always seemed I had some grandkid or vacation I needed to scrap more! Realizing that I need to document my own unplanned journey led me to think that we all may need a little push in that direction!

Image   Image
QueenBee89
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 156

Post by QueenBee89 »

Combined with Make the Cut

QueenBee89
Cherry Blossom

Post by QueenBee89 »

I blurred my very detailed journaling for privacy reasons, but it’s all about how we moved 3+ hours away from family and friends for my husbands job a month before our first child was born. VERY life changing!!!

We’ve been lucky enough to have moved back closer since, but this was a whirlwind for sure! This challenge definitely motivated me to get this documented :)

Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom

Post by Karyn_Sue »

QueenBee89 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:06 pm
I blurred my very detailed journaling for privacy reasons, but it’s all about how we moved 3+ hours away from family and friends for my husbands job a month before our first child was born. VERY life changing!!!

We’ve been lucky enough to have moved back closer since, but this was a whirlwind for sure! This challenge definitely motivated me to get this documented :)

I respect your privacy, of course. As a nurse that is ingrained in me!!!! I'm so glad that this challenge helped to motivate you to document even difficult times in your life. I think we need to remember both the good and the not so good when we look back; it helps us to remember how far we have come on our journey and the strength we have developed as a result of these challenges.  

Image   Image
aheatfan
Cherry Bing

Post by aheatfan »

Last one.... did this one on the life changing change of life. Thought the flowers kind of reflected the "Change of season".  Have had this on my mind for a while.  Thanks for the push to get it done.  Have a list of other life changing events to do thanks to this challenge, it was a great one!!

🌴Kristin  
ImageImage

QueenBee89
Cherry Blossom

Post by QueenBee89 »

And number 3! This challenge was perfect. Ive been behind on all my scrapbooking so I had plenty of big moments yet to document!

Labor of Love - my first born! :)

Used the BF Sketch 243 for Inspo!

CarrieG
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1362

Post by CarrieG »

i chose to document our move in 2014  we moved 1,500 miles from oregon to texas  the photo is middle dd and i while we were on the road during the move

Amy Jo
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 180

Post by Amy Jo »

Here’s my layout…I documented my career change and move from Arizona to Denver, CO. 

Welcome to Denver - Gallery Link

ImageImage
-Amy Jo 

ImageImage

Return to “Contests & Challenges”