October 2021 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

rachel0017
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 310

October 2021 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!

Post by rachel0017 »

This month's winner of the $5 gift card is #8 - Amy Jo! Thanks to everyone who participated this month!

In Finlay Donovan is Killing It by Elle Cosimano, the titular character is most definitely not “killing it”. She’s an author with writer’s block who is months behind on the deadline for her new book. She’s a divorcée with a stack of unpaid bills she has to rely on her ex-husband to help her pay. She’s a mother of two young children she is in danger of losing custody of if she can’t get her life together. One day, while meeting with her agent at Panera to discuss the plot of her new book - a romance/murder mystery - Finlay is overheard and mistaken for a contract killer. Before she knows it, Finlay is being hired to “take care of” Harris Mickler, not a nice guy by anyone’s standards, and as she falls deeper into the role of hit woman, she finds herself mixed up with the Russian mafia, in the middle of a love triangle, and surrounded by more money than she’s ever seen in her entire life. But, things take a turn for the strange when Finlay sees her ex-husband’s fiancé get into a car with the Russian mob boss. What are they doing together? And how can Finlay get out of this mess she’s accidentally gotten herself into? 

OPTION 1: SO PUNNY
I absolutely love the title of this book and its double meaning, referring to Finlay’s mistaken identity as a contract killer, and insinuating that she is winning at life. So, for Option 1, you need to channel your inner wordsmith and create a title for your page that includes some kind of wordplay. It doesn’t have to be a double meaning, like with Finlay Donovan, but that would certainly count. The subject of the page doesn’t matter either, as long as the title is punny!

Sample for Option 1: When my daughter was a toddler and she tipped over both the cat's food and water bowls, causing a "cat"astrophe 

OPTION 2: TAKE THE BAD WITH THE GOOD
I am a huge (huge, HUGE) believer in scrapping the lows along with the highs, and if Finlay Donovan were a scrapbooker, she could fill an entire album with her life’s current lowlights. Therefore, for Option 2, make a scrapbook page of a time when things didn’t quite go according to plan. 

Sample for Option 2: That time my daughter slipped on the hardwood floors and split her chin open. This would also qualify for the Bonus since it incorporates a punny title as well.  : )

This month, you will get a BONUS entry if you make a layout that incorporates BOTH challenges - it is about a rough patch in life AND has a punny title!

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due October 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. A RAK is awarded to a second winner if there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month.

Participants:
1. Donna_Coughlin
2. QueenBee89
3. joannie
4. aheatfan
5. Karyn_Sue
6. Karyn_Sue (BONUS)
7. Karyn_Sue
8. Amy Jo
9. Scrapqueen141
10. lissahope26
11. Craftyshannon
12. joannie
13. joannie (BONUS)
14. ScrappyDistractions
15. Amy Jo
16. ScrappyDistractions

Last edited by rachel0017 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
emmapaige
Bowl Full of Cherries
Layouts: 1754

Re: October 2021 Book Lover's Challenge

Post by emmapaige »

Sounds like a great book. Option 2 - maybe it’s time I scrapped my fall leaving work in January 2016 where I ended up in the Trauma Center with bleeding on my brain.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImage Image

Craftyshannon
Cherry Berry
Layouts: 302

Post by Craftyshannon »

We traveled two weekends ago and had a diisaster trip; car overheated and cracked radiator, stock in parking lot for 2.5 hrs missing the party we went for, hotel mishaps, etc. I had been thinking about scrapbooking it and this is the push I need to do so.
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3233

Post by blbabe1234 »

Wonderful examples of both options
Brandy Williams

ImageImage  Image ImageImage
aheatfan
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 876

Post by aheatfan »

Love your examples and your awesome titles.  My son had his chin split open in the same place when he was three and tried to "fly" off the toybox because he was Superman. No pictures though. Love this challenge :)
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImage

CynthiaB
Cherry Tart
Layouts: 48

Post by CynthiaB »

I enjoyed this book! I'll have to think on how to take your challenge - thanks for putting it together so creatively!
Donna_Coughlin
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 287

Post by Donna_Coughlin »

I did option 1 - I hope I understood this correctly. My title is Big things often have small beginnings.
Donna
ImageImageImage
QueenBee89
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 159

Post by QueenBee89 »

Option 1 - A “punny” title! Peas & Thank You

Combined with Cherry Lift Challenge

joannie
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1924

Post by joannie »

There's no place like home...pun option.
- joannie

Image Image Image Image
Aztam
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 371

Post by Aztam »

i am reading this book right now and enjoying it. Twisting and turning story lines are some of my favorites. I have an idea for page if I can find the pic I have in mind!
ImageImage👋Image

Tam
aheatfan
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 876

Post by aheatfan »

I went with Option # 2. I wanted to keep it simple and focus on the story. The sunshine tag is because that was his nickname on the wrestling team. 

🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImage

Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 149

Post by Karyn_Sue »

Here's my entry:

I went with both options.

Option 1: My title "March Madness" is a play on words - Instead of the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament which was cancelled, we had "March Madness" at the stores with all the panic buying.

Option 2: The subject, panic shopping during the last couple days before the Covid shutdown, was a frightening time. Once that happened, NOTHING went according to plan!

“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

Image   Image
Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 149

Post by Karyn_Sue »

My second entry

This time I went with option one - word play.  As a father's day/birthday gift to my DH, my daughter and son-in-law constructed shelves in our garage. Their littlest one wanted to help, so she was assigned the "extremely important - can't do it without you" task of handing nails to them. (It's hard to see, but she's holding one in the pic). So I chose "nailed it" as my title because of it's colloquial meaning: the finished product was amazing (see upper right hand picture) - AND because of Nora's work ethic as the nail distribution manager! 

“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

Image   Image
Amy Jo
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 195

Post by Amy Jo »

I did option 1: Blown Away describes how we felt when we saw the amazing artwork and was the perfect pun for blown glass! 

I combined with the 2-4-6-8 Challenge.

Blown Away - Gallery Link

-Amy Jo 

ImageImage
Scrapqueen141
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 390

Post by Scrapqueen141 »

Image            Image
Scrapbooking reminds us that life is good!
💖
lissahope26
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1470

Post by lissahope26 »

Option one-Pumptastick instead of fantastic
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Craftyshannon
Cherry Berry
Layouts: 302

Post by Craftyshannon »

Thanks for the challenge, I'm not sure I would have scrapped this otherwise.
This is a page about the weekend we went to a party and our radiator blew up on the way! We missed the party and ended up spending 2.5 hours in this parking lot. Ugh
joannie
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1924

Post by joannie »

Here is one for Option #2. My DH had to have emergency surgery on his eye and for the  **BONUS** I added a punny title.

- joannie

Image Image Image Image
ScrappyDistractions
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 629

Post by ScrappyDistractions »

Option 2:  When a visit with Santa goes horribly wrong....

Lisa - Scrappy Distractions

ImageImage

Amy Jo
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 195

Post by Amy Jo »

Here’s my entry for option 2…my daughter was pushing her little wagon around, hit a crack in the sidewalk, and slammed face first into the sidewalk. That was definitely not part of the game plan that afternoon!

Thankfully, she only scraped up her face (I was terrified that she would have missing teeth or a broken cheek bone when she stood up!)

-Amy Jo 

ImageImage

Return to “Contests & Challenges”