December/January Journaling Challenge

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 176

December/January Journaling Challenge

Post by Karyn_Sue »

Hi Cherries!

This month your challenge is going to be journaling about a family tradition.  We all have traditions that we follow around holidays, birthdays or even vacations. Your challenge will be to choose one of those family traditions and journal about it.

In my example I have chosen our family traditions when celebrating the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashana. Even though in our empty nest it's just the two of us now, we still put out my great-grandmother's china for our traditional meal - just like we did when our kids were still home. (The Hebrew word I used as the title is "Masoret" which means tradition.)

***I used Deanna's December Sketch with a Twist to create my layout. Her twist is to scrap a holiday - so *hint hint* - combining opportunity!***

Because I will be very busy traveling in both December and January, and expect family for the last couple weeks of the year (grandkid's school vacation), I have extended the deadline until January 31st to complete this challenge.

BONUS opportunity.  Select a non-winter holiday like I did - Rosh Hashana is a late summer/early fall holiday - and you will get a bonus entry. 

Fine print (LOL): 

1) Entries must be new single or double page layouts and may be digital or paper. (Sorry, no cards)
2) Journaling MUST address the family tradition associated with the holiday/birthday/vacation/etc you have chosen to scrap.
3) May be combined with one other challenge that allows combining.
4) Up to three entries allowed.
5) BONUS entry if you choose a non-winter holiday or other occasion.
6) MOST IMPORTANT: HAVE FUN!

Entries will be due 1.31.22

One lucky winner of this Challenge will be chosen at random to receive a $5 ACOT gift card. 

Participating cherries:

1. Amy Jo
2. Amy Jo (BONUS)
3. Craftyshannon
4. Deanna13
5. traveler
6. shoorn
7. sherriscraps
8. Art_Teacher
9. Donna_Coughlin
10. Craftyshannnon
11. Cynthia Corbett
12. QueenBee89

Last edited by Karyn_Sue on Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

Image   Image
traveler
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 469

Re: December/January Journaling Challenge

Post by traveler »

I love this. I love your layout and this challenge. 

how did you make the title with the Hebrew letters? I am often trying to make Hebrew letters and all I have are children’s stamps which smudge and a stencil which is very thick. Also, who makes this collection?
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

Jolly Holly Scraps
Cherry Berry
Layouts: 150

Post by Jolly Holly Scraps »

Great example! I'm going to try to come up with something for this one!
Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom

Post by Karyn_Sue »

trainmom wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:25 am
I love this. I love your layout and this challenge. 

how did you make the title with the Hebrew letters? I am often trying to make Hebrew letters and all I have are children’s stamps which smudge and a stencil which is very thick. Also, who makes this collection?

I'll PM you the information  :-)
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

Image   Image
Craftyshannon
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 336

Post by Craftyshannon »

I love this challenge. I often make layouts about traditions, but i don't often journal about the actual tradition. I love your page, just beautiful, especially the layering and the Hebrew title.
Amy Jo
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 232

Post by Amy Jo »

I chose Easter! It’s one of the only traditions I had in my family as a kid that I’ve passed along to my daughter. We make a trail of shoes from the front door to her Easter basket so the Easter Bunny knows where to find it! Here she is picking the candy out of her shoe trail…and yes those are slippers and flip flops in her trail (more shoes = more candy so she uses every pair she’s got!)

-Amy Jo 

ImageImageImage
Craftyshannon
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by Craftyshannon »

A page about our tradition to open a Christmas book every night and read it before bed. Image
Yankeegirl
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 1362

Post by Yankeegirl »

Such a meaningful challenge,and love your page example.  I want a bite of your challah!  
"Life is short.   Smile while you still have teeth!"

Kathy
Image                Image    Image   Image Image
Deanna13
A Cherry on Top
Layouts: 4039

Post by Deanna13 »

Here's mine about a tradition. My DD Michelle and her kiddos love to cuddle up on the couch and watch Christmas movies together all through the season, December 2020. Also their doggies love it too.💖

I combined with the movie genre challenge. 

Image Image ImageImage
traveler
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 469

Post by traveler »

here's mine:
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

shoorn
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 2111

Post by shoorn »

Journaling about a family tradition of using December/Advent calendars to countdown to Christmas. My Mom always got me one and it turn DS always had one. Combined with Days of Dec.  
Link to LO
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image Image Image   Image
sherriscraps
Cherry Berry
Layouts: 338

Post by sherriscraps »

Tradition to get together on Christmas Eve and to make cookies

Retired, scrapping and happy!
Sherri 
Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 1964

Post by Art_Teacher »

Here is mine. Our tradition, as a couple without children, is to give gifts to each other and open them Christmas morning.  It isn't a lot of journaling, so hopefully, this counts!

Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom

Post by Karyn_Sue »

Bumping to remind any interested cherries that this challenge isn't due until 1/31! Let's see those holiday traditions!

Image   Image
Karyn_Sue
Cherry Blossom

Post by Karyn_Sue »

Art_Teacher wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:07 pm
Here is mine. Our tradition, as a couple without children, is to give gifts to each other and open them Christmas morning.  It isn't a lot of journaling, so hopefully, this counts!

Of course it counts! It's your page, and the journaling that mattered to YOU.

Image   Image
Donna_Coughlin
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 295

Post by Donna_Coughlin »

Our family always gets together on New Years Day. The journaling is partially about how my son loves this tradition.

Donna
ImageImageImage
Craftyshannon
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by Craftyshannon »

Your challenge encouraged me to make a page about the ornament my mom bought me this year for Christmas. The journaling reads: Every Christmas I buy an ornament for my mom and a matching one for myself. This year, I was excited to find the adorable grey gnome. I was so surprised to find she got me the same one in green. Image
Cynthia Corbett
Cherry Tart
Layouts: 65

Post by Cynthia Corbett »

I love this idea. We all have those traditions and a little push makes you actually journal. Good call Karyn. I chose the Christmas Eve reading of the Night Before Christmas. My husband has been read it every year since we were married. First to just the 2 of us. Then our children. And now the grand children. Some years it has been on the phone. Last year on Zoom. And occasionally over the New Year's weekend. What ever works to tie us together.

Cynthia Corbett
Cherry Tart
Layouts: 65

Post by Cynthia Corbett »

There are so many lovely traditions referenced here. I totally enjoyed reading them. This could be a book about family traditions.
QueenBee89
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 203

Post by QueenBee89 »

Christmas ornaments tradition :)

Used Becky fleck sketch 258

~Brandi  :)

Return to “Contests & Challenges”