Homemade Enamel Dots?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Monroe1218
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 18

Homemade Enamel Dots?

Post by Monroe1218 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Has anyone tried to make their own enamel dots out of perler beads?  I have a couple of bags of them and hope to try to make some.... It seems they are my go-to embellishment for little add on things... I have watched several YouTube videos about it, so I think I am about ready to give it a try.... but didn't know if any of my cherry friends had done this or not and had any suggestions....
Rebecca

CarrieG
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 943

Re: Homemade Enamel Dots?

Post by CarrieG » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:24 pm

I have a whole lil jar of them that ive made here and there but I always forget to dig into them..LOL  they are  not always consistant in size etc so that might be part of why they are out of sight out of mind

joannie
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1293

Post by joannie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Sandi0805 and I have made them. The hardest part is getting the perler beads to stay upright on the cookie sheet. So some of ours was misshapen. 
Last edited by joannie on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmapaige
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 978

Post by emmapaige » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm

I've made a few but got very frustrated.  But I haven't gotten rid of the beads - just in case I want to try to make them again.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

Image  ImageImageImageImage

1scrapdiva (Robin)
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 163

Post by 1scrapdiva (Robin) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 pm

No I haven't tried ! Seems I never find time I have so many irons in the fire already!

suewho372
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 696

Post by suewho372 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 pm

I have made them and like them, but sometimes they don't all melt the same and there is a little divit in the top. 
the other thing is that I could only get one size.  I have also made some with Tonic Nuevo Crystal drops on an 
acetate sheet and then I could make my own size. This has worked pretty well for me.
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com

Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 498

Post by Shutterbug » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Monroe1218 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:25 pm
Has anyone tried to make their own enamel dots out of perler beads?  I have a couple of bags of them and hope to try to make some.... It seems they are my go-to embellishment for little add on things... I have watched several YouTube videos about it, so I think I am about ready to give it a try.... but didn't know if any of my cherry friends had done this or not and had any suggestions....

I have tried it once a few years ago.   Craftyshannon did a challenge and  posted how to do them.  

https://www.acherryontop.com/gallery/us ... mel-dots).

I hope this helps. 
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 231

Post by Scrap Bug » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm

I make them.  I've done perler beads, but prefer pony beads. 
Melissa

traveler
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 226

Post by traveler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 am

I've tried some other methods, none of which worked great. there was one method which used some sort of adhesive (maybe glossy accents) and nail polish. The dots came out weird shapes. 

I use Wendy Vecchi enamel accents, which is a little squeeze jar like stickles. They seem to work the best to achieve the look of enamel dots without  purchasing so many little dots. (I've also tried nuvo drops, they work ok except for when the jar exploded all over my project). 
Louise
My Blog: Wide World of Scraps

debamas
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 228

Post by debamas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 am

I remembered posts about these long ago. Not tried myself but within the post I btt, there is also a link to another with instruction by crafty shannon. Didn't know how to link these so just brought one post btt. Hope that helps
Debbie

scrapy1967
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1275

Post by scrapy1967 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Be very careful when making these. They are plastic and will emit a odor in your house. If anyone has asthma or lung issues I would not do it especially in the house. 
ImageImage 

CarrieG
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 943

Post by CarrieG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm

scrapy1967 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:42 pm
Be very careful when making these. They are plastic and will emit a odor in your house. If anyone has asthma or lung issues I would not do it especially in the house. 

yesssssssssssssssssss it is stannnnnnnnnnnky

Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 498

Post by Shutterbug » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:45 pm

ScrappyBug wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm
I make them.  I've done perler beads, but prefer pony beads

I would love to know how you do this. What  size do you usually use ? What temperature? and how long?
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 1458

Post by oceanbreezes423 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

I also have made them. The smell is AWFUL, so I ventilate the area with fan blowing out. The size is not always the same, but that does give me some added dimension on my page. I use them often, but really need to make more soon.
Susan Image Image

Monroe1218
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Monroe1218 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 am

I have a small toaster oven - wonder if I could plug that up outside or in the barn and use it so the smell wouldn't be so bad inside?  Has anyone used a toaster oven and had good results?
Rebecca

Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 231

Post by Scrap Bug » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Shutterbug wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:45 pm
ScrappyBug wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm
I make them.  I've done perler beads, but prefer pony beads
I would love to know how you do this. What  size do you usually use ? What temperature? and how long? 

It's kind of a trial and error thing.  When I first did it I did about 15-20 beads to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.  I have to say that I think it depends totally on your oven and how it performs, as everybody seems different.  There is a ton of youtube videos out now on this.

For the Pony beads, I just use the standard ones you can get at walmart or craft stores, place them hole side up on your sheet.  The ONE thing I will say is a must, is that you use parchment paper.  You can use it over and over and over, but I've found it's really the only thing that works well - after your beads have cooled for a few minutes, they all just slide right off - no fuss.  I put mine in a casserole dish, but you can use a cookie sheet if you'd prefer.  

I think I set my oven to about 415° and then check it in 15 min.  I usually have to go longer, but I don't want to go too long.  If you like smaller dots, leave them in less, but they'll be a bit thicker, and then the larger you want, the longer you leave them in and the flatter they will become.  Just make sure there are no dimples on the top before you remove them.  I've used the solid pony beads and the clear ones, and they each are a bit different in their timing, I think it's the clear that take longer for that dimple to go away.  
Melissa

mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Layouts: 1362

Post by mgehrke » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 pm

I used to make these all the time. I still have some so I haven't made anymore in awhile. I love how they turn out and love using them. I do know that the black or really dark colors take a little longer in the oven. So I make sure not to include these with my other ones. I do a separate batch for a longer time.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 54, 32 and 26) lol. And now a Grandma to Orahn and Sawyer.

Yankeegirl
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 900

Post by Yankeegirl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:15 pm

I have tried, but I didn't like the smell and they didn't turn out like I expected.  So I make then with nuvo drops, ranger enamel drops, or ranger liquid pearls.  I make one color at a time, because you need the space to let them dry adequately without disturbing them.  With practice, I can make them be the right sizes!!
"You may think the grass is greener on the other side, but if you take the time to water your own grass it would be just as green."

Kathy

Monroe1218
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Monroe1218 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm

I tried making these for the first time today...  and it's worked like a charm!  275 on a metal baking sheet with parchment paper... I have a gas oven/stove if that makes any difference.  And either there wasn't any smell - or I can't smell anything because I'm sick... but I definitely will make more of these!!
Rebecca

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”