Texture Paste Question

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Monroe1218
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 26

Texture Paste Question

Post by Monroe1218 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 am

I bought some Heidi Swapp texture pastes that were on clearance at Tuesday Morning.... now how do I use them?  What's the best way to go about getting them on the paper/stencil?  Is there a special tool for that?
Rebecca
Layouts Complete - 6/100
December Daily - 85% complete!
Cards - 8/24

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 2884

Re: Texture Paste Question

Post by Deanna13 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:59 am

Lucky you! Our closest Tuesday Morning is 2 hrs. away. Also, my Heidi Swapp Texture Pastes are rather moist so don't work with it too long or it will bleed.

I use either of these, the first is Out-of-Stock. Anything with a flat edge would work. 

Imagine Crafts Palette Knives:

Ranger Texture Tools:
Image ImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

lissahope26
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 836

Post by lissahope26 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:13 am

I learned how to apply texture paste by watching Heidi Swapp on some you tube videos. There were some good tips I picked up on. You definitely need a palette knife or credit card type thing to apply a smooth layer.
Melissa H.ImageImage

DN in MN
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 166

Post by DN in MN » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:43 am

I have seen people use the credit cards that come in the mailers.  Nice cuz you would just throw them away anyways :)   Nice purchase and enjoy playing with the paste.  I love mixed media!
 Image    Image   

2019 -  34/100 layouts

Vicki R.
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 52

Post by Vicki R. » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm

DN in MN wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:43 am
I have seen people use the credit cards that come in the mailers.  Nice cuz you would just throw them away anyways :)   Nice purchase and enjoy playing with the paste.  I love mixed media!
I have a flat edged pallet knife that I use to stir the paste and put it on the stencil, but use a plastic credit/gift card to apply over the stencil.  I have a great collection of them and can just toss them if I don't want to clean them.  Some pastes dry quicker than others and you need to clean your tools as soon as you are done with them, including the stencil.  I love using texture paste on projects.  My favorite is the glass bead gel that dries clear.  You can actually see the beads.  Very cool stuff!  And you can also get a sand base that comes in clear, opaque and black.  Make sure the stencil is stationary where you are applying the paste.  I use washi tape or light stick tape to hold it in place.               

pawprints
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 680

Post by pawprints » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:10 pm

I use a plastic palette knife. I love using texture paste with stencils. Just be sure your stencil is completely flat against the cardstock and tape it down with stencil tape or some washi tape.

Image Image Image Image

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 2884

Post by Deanna13 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:49 pm

pawprints wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:10 pm
I use a plastic palette knife. I love using texture paste with stencils. Just be sure your stencil is completely flat against the cardstock and tape it down with stencil tape or some washi tape.
Yes, I tape mine down with washi tape too.

Image ImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

Yankeegirl
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 946

Post by Yankeegirl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I use a pallet knife to scoop it out of the jar and start the spreading, but I like to use a credit card for most of the spreading.  It is wide, firm, and seems to apply the paste better than the knife in most cases.    And they are cheap and disposable!  Sometimes I use my old hotel keys or Disney park ticket.   If you want a pallet knife, you can pick them up fairly cheaply in Michaels and they come in many different widths.

"Behind every successful woman is HERSELF."

Kathy

MTCanuk
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 769

Post by MTCanuk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:55 am

Just a couple more tips. Clean your stencils off before the paste dries on them. Wax paper works well to put some paste on to work with and no clean up.
Visit my blog:http://mtcanuk.blogspot.com/
Leslee

Monroe1218
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 26

Post by Monroe1218 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:11 am

Thank you for all the awesome tips!  I can't wait to play this weekend!
Rebecca
Layouts Complete - 6/100
December Daily - 85% complete!
Cards - 8/24

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”