Double-sided paper

Moderator: ACOT Employee

condo
Cherry Bing

Double-sided paper

Post by condo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:44 am

I have a question about double-sided paper. I have never used it before, I always thought, why pay for something that only one side will be seen. So can you seasoned scrapers, crafters tell me what the advantage of a double-sided paper does for you?

Thanks, condo
condo

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1088

Re: Double-sided paper

Post by CarrieG » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:33 am

more patterned paper options in a line--great way to get the full spectrum with less individual sheets ...so more bang for your buck...but if you are scrapping 12x12 with a patterned paper background that doesn't work so well...ha

Flasher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 252

Post by Flasher » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:37 am

Usually, not always though, the two sides are coordinated either pattern or colorwise which makes matting a photo, layering, or punching home made embellies easier.  One thing in particular I like to do with my double sided paper is fold in the corners, or roll them, to see just a touch of the other side of the paper.
Life is not a fairy tale.  If you lose your shoe at midnight, you're drunk.

DN in MN
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 172

Post by DN in MN » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:03 pm

I really like cutting it in half or ripping it to a size and use them back to back as layers on a page.  It coordinates so well.  
 Image    Image   

2019 -  37/100 layouts

1scrappymom
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 496

Post by 1scrappymom » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:26 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:33 am
more patterned paper options in a line--great way to get the full spectrum with less individual sheets ...so more bang for your buck...but if you are scrapping 12x12 with a patterned paper background that doesn't work so well...ha
[/quote
Totally agree. I rarely use the whole sheet at once . Also, I find double sided tend to be thicker and I like that weight to work with.
~Shannon
My Blog -->  blinnsblog

Art_Teacher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 1627

Post by Art_Teacher » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:18 pm

I always feel like I am wasting the other side if I just use one side as the background page of my layout, so I tend to use them with cardstock as a background and then cut them to use both sides...they always coordinate well. I have also used them as a background and then put another smaller sheet of paper in the middle, so I cut out the paper behind to save and use the other side. Another trick I use is to use them for layouts where I have a bunch of photos and scrap on both sides! This takes some planning, but if you are putting them in clear sleeve-type albums, it can work.
Laura

pawprints
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 693

Post by pawprints » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Sometimes I only like one side so to me there are more options in a collection to choose from. If I like both sides then sometimes I will double up on it. And since I don’t always use a full sheet I can cut the paper and use both coordinating sides on the same layout. Or other layouts. And as a bonus if you use the paper to make a card or a little gift box it has a pattern on both sides so you automatically have a pattern inside your card or gift box.

Image Image Image Image

JAire
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 212

Post by JAire » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:08 pm

I totally understand your dilemma - I was there once upon a time. Now, I prefer the double sides, for all the reasons mentioned here.
I like to use patterned pages for backgrounds sometimes and always 'gut' them once I know how much of the page will be covered. Using my Fiskars trimmer makes it easy to cut out a nice chunk, leaving an inch or so for pasting down the next layer. My trick for knowing where it is save to 'gut' is to use a pencil. I lift up the layers I know will cover the hole and stick my pencil under and make a little mark, top-bottom, left-right. Then when I stick the base patterned paper in the trimmer I know my limits (approximately). I even do this gutting technique for my card making! Sometimes I can place a die in the center and cut it out, so when I paste the next layer on I haven't wasted my pretties.
Joyce Ann

condo
Cherry Bing

Post by condo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks everyone for some great insight to using double-sided paper. Always learning new tricks, techniques and ideas!
condo

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”