Would you do memory planning?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 142

Would you do memory planning?

Post by Natalie Dill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:50 am

So I was looking at the new "disc system" planner that American Crafts is releasing in the Maggie Holmes Magical Forest collection. It's v. similar to the Happy Planner. 

I was wondering how much interest there is in trying memory planning?
I feel like American Crafts will release planners by other, favorite designers.
Does having your favorite designer make an entire planner and accessories entice you to try a new format?'

Let me know your thoughts!
Also, I'd love to see examples if you're already doing memory planning!

xo
Natalie 💖 🍒  Find more at Dillightfully Crafty

Flasher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 261

Re: Would you do memory planning?

Post by Flasher » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:56 am

OK, please, anyone, feel free to laugh your heads off at me, but what in the name of Billy Bob's goat is a Memory Planner?  Is this just a more "decorative" day planner? 
I don't know what my spirit animal is, but I'm pretty sure it has rabies.

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 am

Laura wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:56 am
OK, please, anyone, feel free to laugh your heads off at me, but what in the name of Billy Bob's goat is a Memory Planner?  Is this just a more "decorative" day planner? 
I know a lot of people are into just decorating a planner, so yes it can be that. I don't decorate a weekly planner, but I do add photos to mine. 

I use mine as a place to hold all the little random photos and stories that don't need a larger layout or belong in a particular album. I feel like it's an easy, compact way to have a chronological album for the year!

This is a Paper House Productions spiral planner, but the disc system seems easier to add products into and take out pages to work on them and replace them when complete.

love2stamp
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 781

Post by love2stamp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:07 am

Laura wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:56 am

Haha, I was just getting ready to ask the same thing!!
ImageImageImageImage

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:10 am

So instead of using a planner to plan ahead, essentially it's using a planner to go back and record what you did the past week. Think project life on a smaller scale?

I know Amy Tan does one.
I'm trying to think of another big name who is consistently doing them....

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:16 am

This is an adorable example on the Simple Stories blog: https://www.simplestories.com/blog/magi ... my-planner

I just love the idea of a planner, but I am not one to keep up with planning week ahead. I lose my mind if plans change and you have to cross things off?!
So I had to adapt the planner to work for me. Going back and reviewing my week and documenting it (SCRAPBOOKING, DUH LOL) was the solution!

I feel like this could be a gateway drug to bring planners over to the dark side with us here in scrapbooking land!

Flasher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 261

Post by Flasher » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:19 am

" . . . gateway drug . . ."  LMAO!
I don't know what my spirit animal is, but I'm pretty sure it has rabies.

karensay
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 230

Post by karensay » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:01 am

Sounds kinda like a Diary, but with photos. 

No, i don't do Planners, no need for one.  And I won't do the Memory thing either.  I am having a hard enough time just getting layouts done.  I don't need more on my plate.  Not enough time in the day.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1157

Post by CarrieG » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am

hmmmmmmmmm so i was not a big planner person....i use my wall calendar....but i did try with a simple stories one last year...nope..lol  but i won a Heidi Swapp on on a freebie friday here recently and i am using it pretty diligently...just like my calendar...i have not placed any photos in it...but i have put things like fortune cookie fortunes from a lunch date with DH last week and i record things like the ice storm we are just coming out of........i dont think i would go much past that with one.......

sdwhru
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 343

Post by sdwhru » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Hmmmm....I like the example (the Disney one).  But I thought that's what traveler notebooks were for?  Items to scrap but not necessarily a whole page?  Sometimes the companies make things too complicated....

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:34 pm

sdwhru wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm
Hmmmm....I like the example (the Disney one).  But I thought that's what traveler notebooks were for?  Items to scrap but not necessarily a whole page?  Sometimes the companies make things too complicated....

Sure they're similar to the TNs.
I think maybe a planner is more structured (same size block for every day), so if you've never scrapped the structure might be nice.
I'm not sure if y'all listen to podcasts, but in one I listen to, I hear over and over that people are intimidated by a blank, large scrapbook page.
So I would imagine if that was a problem with which someone struggled this could be a good option to combat the problem.

I do think TN accessories and planner goodies are very interchangeable as well!

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am
hmmmmmmmmm so i was not a big planner person....i use my wall calendar....but i did try with a simple stories one last year...nope..lol  but i won a Heidi Swapp on on a freebie friday here recently and i am using it pretty diligently...just like my calendar...i have not placed any photos in it...but i have put things like fortune cookie fortunes from a lunch date with DH last week and i record things like the ice storm we are just coming out of........i dont think i would go much past that with one.......

same here - I tried to get into "traditional" planning but I couldn't be consistent.

however, one could argue that you don't need photos to document memories and what you're doing already is memory planning!

Krystle
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 310

Post by Krystle » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 pm

I am a big fan of traditional layouts so I am not likely to branch out to memory planning, TN, project life, etc.

MTCanuk
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 857

Post by MTCanuk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Nope.  Have no desire for memory planners.  Would rather use that money for my traditional scrapbooking.  I want a little calendar that fits nicely in my purse.
Visit my blog:http://mtcanuk.blogspot.com/
Leslee

scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1306

Post by scrapy1967 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:20 pm

No I am not a planner person and really can’t afford to start something new. 
ImageImage 

shoorn
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 1562

Post by shoorn » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Not really a planner person. When I worked I did use one to plan my days (they were all different with different hours at the Community College and my tutoring hours). When I stopped there wasn't a need for it. A planner looking back is something that I don't see doing - although it would be appropriate than one to plan my days.  
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Vicki R.
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 110

Post by Vicki R. » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:50 am

Hm, don't think I would do this either.  Maybe if I was 30 years younger and just starting out with my craft.  I do have an agenda/planner that I use to keep things organized, but it gets trashed at the end of the year when the new one comes along.

I did see videos from Teresa Collins with all kinds of new planner items.

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 203

Post by DN in MN » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 am

I have a planner that I use to write things down and at the end of the year, it goes in my memorabilia area of my space for reference.  I need to be consistent with it and that is my problem, lol.  Since I can barely print my photos for layouts, I doubt I'll get any in my planner, lol!

Image    Image

2020 ~ 13/75 Layouts ~ 1 Card(s)   

Jenni328
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 6

Post by Jenni328 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:40 pm

No, I am thinking this maybe the solution I am looking for!! I have come close several times buying a planner but have had a hard time justifying the purchase. This may allow me the freedom I want and keep the pressure off of me to do it daily!

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:02 pm

Jenni328 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:40 pm
No, I am thinking this maybe the solution I am looking for!! I have come close several times buying a planner but have had a hard time justifying the purchase. This may allow me the freedom I want and keep the pressure off of me to do it daily!

Yay! you're my only taker here so far  😂

Haha, I get it, I'm talking to a core group of hardcore scrappers. If something is working well for you why change it?

I do love the look and I get excited to try new things though, which is why it has always piqued my interest.

I would say if you want tons of great inspiration, there are some big names doing this now. Amy Tangerine, Traci Reed, Ashley Horton, and Kelly Jaynes are a few that come to mind off the top of my head - check them out on Instagram.  I'm sure the hashtag #memoryplanning on IG or Pinterest would come up with tons of great ideas too.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”