Opinions, PLEASE!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Flasher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 271

Opinions, PLEASE!

Post by Flasher » Sat May 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Positive, negative -- either way!  I'm just looking for anything that can make this idea better!

You know those sheets of pics from the photographers that were about the size of a large postage stamp?  You remember . . . back before everything went digital?  Anyway, I have tons of those of my kids.  I was thinking about those pictures just sitting there doing nothing and I got the idea of somehow using a lot of them on a layout.  The first thing that came to mind was a gumball machine.  I found a gumball machine image, enlarged it, then cut out red metallic paper to piece one together (the metallic isn't reading here, though).  Then I punched their little faces into smaller circles, matted them on larger circles . . . and there you have it.  I used this really cute gumbally paper from Doodlebug.  But, now that I look at it, I'm wondering if a solid, or a least a less busy background paper would have been better.  Please, tell me anything.  I'm not committed to this layout -- I have enough pics to do this again so it's no big deal.  Oh, and the other thing I wondered was if it might not have been better to skip the metallic paper and just use the traditional primary red you see in actual gumball machines.  What do you think?

I don't know what my spirit animal is, but I'm pretty sure it has rabies.

Vicki R.
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 254

Re: Opinions, PLEASE!

Post by Vicki R. » Sat May 30, 2020 4:12 pm

Laura, this is adorable!  What an excellent idea for using the mini pics.  I was going to suggest a photo strip like the ones that come from photo booths, but I love this gumball machine!  I think the background paper looks great.  If you want to add maybe a white border to pull in the white of the gumball machine, that would be all I would change.

emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1375

Post by emmapaige » Sat May 30, 2020 4:14 pm

I absolutely LOVE this.  Those sweet little faces and gum ball machine and your perfect polka dot paper just brings everything into an amazing project!!!
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

wimom
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 394

Post by wimom » Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm

Really cute!! I don't think the background paper is too busy but I might try a thin red border around or behind the white part to make it stand out a little more. Such a creative idea!
Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 3360

Post by Deanna13 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 pm

That is such a clever idea with the gumball machine, Laura!! Love it! 💖
 ImageImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1223

Post by CarrieG » Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm

i agree with it needing some white...maybe mount on a piece of white cardstock so it has a lil white border all around????

Mommyof5
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 27

Post by Mommyof5 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Super Cute!!!!  
Have a Wonderful Day!  ~Misty

aheatfan
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 147

Post by aheatfan » Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm

Really cure, clever idea. 
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"

blfonty
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 661

Post by blfonty » Sat May 30, 2020 10:19 pm

So cute! Looks just right to me. 
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

Image.   Image

ernstem
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 20

Post by ernstem » Sat May 30, 2020 11:24 pm

I agree that the page is adorable! I would go along with those that suggest matting the LO on a white piece of card stock. Or using a white gel pen to draw some "messy" lines around the edges to bring in the design since the pattern paper goes beyond the edges of the paper...a border will help bring the eye and brain to focus on the pictures.

suewho372
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 759

Post by suewho372 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:53 am

I absolutely looooove this! Wow! That is an awesome idea!!! I don’t think it’s too busy but if you do, yes put some white behind it. However I think it is adorable!
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com

Art_Teacher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 1708

Post by Art_Teacher » Sun May 31, 2020 9:47 am

I love it, too!  Such a cute idea!  I agree with the need for some white to tone down the background paper so you can focus on the gumball machine and pics. But, I'm going to suggest a different route...what if the white was in a rectangle at the bottom third, going across underneath the gumball machine (and your embellishments), so it kind of works as a countertop for the machine to sit on?  I tend to hate to have realistic objects "floating" on the page, if you kwim?  Might be the art teacher in me. ;)  If you haven't glued it down, you could try it and see what you think.  If not, no big deal, because it is an awesome layout!
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

traveler
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 288

Post by traveler » Sun May 31, 2020 10:45 am

I like it the way it is. 

Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 538

Post by Shutterbug » Sun May 31, 2020 11:18 am

Laura, this is darling! I love it the way it is. You are so creative and I love your work!
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 256

Post by DN in MN » Sun May 31, 2020 11:37 am

This so creative and cute!  I like it the way it is but trying a white border or matte may change the look :) 
 Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 43/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   

scrappinmom99
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 933

Post by scrappinmom99 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:43 am

CarrieG wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm
i agree with it needing some white...maybe mount on a piece of white cardstock so it has a lil white border all around????

Omg this is adorable! I have some of those tiny pics too. I love this layout but agree with Carrie, maybe mat the gumball machine to make it stand out a bit? But so cute !I"m going to do something like this too!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

beachlover
Chatty Cherry
Layouts: 1122

Post by beachlover » Sun May 31, 2020 12:17 pm

so stinking adorable and creative!!!  
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new)
https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

LoreenC
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 634

Post by LoreenC » Sun May 31, 2020 3:06 pm

I think it’s Awesome! Very Clever! I like Laura’s idea, but it sure great the way it is too!
ImageImageImage

Flasher
Cherry Delight

Post by Flasher » Sun May 31, 2020 5:11 pm

Thank you for the input, pallies!

Nothing is down permanently, so I can play and replay with this as much as I'd like.  I will redo starting with matting the paper on white as suggested, and see how it goes!  Thanks so much for your help!

Flasher
Cherry Delight

Post by Flasher » Sun May 31, 2020 5:15 pm

Art_Teacher wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:47 am
I love it, too!  Such a cute idea!  I agree with the need for some white to tone down the background paper so you can focus on the gumball machine and pics. But, I'm going to suggest a different route...what if the white was in a rectangle at the bottom third, going across underneath the gumball machine (and your embellishments), so it kind of works as a countertop for the machine to sit on?  I tend to hate to have realistic objects "floating" on the page, if you kwim?  Might be the art teacher in me. ;)  If you haven't glued it down, you could try it and see what you think.  If not, no big deal, because it is an awesome layout!

Laura, my daughter suggested moving the machine to the very bottom of the page because she didn't like it floating either!  She also suggested that I should tilt some of the photo gumballs because they wouldn't necessarily be lined up and straight in a machine.  She says they need to look more haphazard.  Such a know it all.  :greenwinkb: :greeninlove:

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”