Scrap a Day, July 2nd

Moderator: ACOT Employee

pawprints
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 755

Scrap a Day, July 2nd

Post by pawprints » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 am

What a night Cherries. We had a severe thunderstorm roll in around 6:30 and lost our cable and then lost power around 8:30. We hadn’t eaten yet so we had coffee cake for supper. The outage map said power would not be back until 3 am and all I could think about was my refrigerator and freezer and the spare one downstairs filled with meat and eggs that I’ve so carefully stocked up on with all my Peapod deliveries. The freezers I figured would be ok in that amount of time but I really worried about the other stuff. I have dozens and dozens of eggs and some meat that I hadn’t frozen and was ready to be cooked. Then around 9:30 or so another severe storm came through. More intense lightening and loud thunder and downpour. I did some reading by flashlight and by a little after midnight I went to bed, which dh had already done hours before. Woke up to the alarm system making a shrill high pitched sound when the electric came back on at 4:15. Twinkie hates those kinds of sounds so up on the bed on top of us she was. Electric then went off again about an hour later and was off for another hour. Now I have to throw out the meat that was in the fridge and I am not sure what to do about the eggs. Thank goodness the freezers should be ok.

On a fun note I am going for my much needed mani/pedi today! Sorry my new challenges aren’t up yet. I hope to work on them some more after I get home.

Have great day Cherries! And stay safe!

Image Image  Image Image

Art_Teacher
Cherry Addict
Layouts: 1726

Re: Scrap a Day, July 2nd

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 am

Barb, that is awful!  I would not want to throw things out, either.  I am inclined to believe that as long as you weren't opening your fridge things might be okay?  If you can cook them soon, anyway.  Not for sure on that, but I know we have had power outages for less than 12 hours and I have not thrown things out that were fresh. (We also eat cold pizza from the night before that we have not refrigerated, so we must have pretty cast-iron stomachs. lol) I do throw out things that have thawed in the freezer, unless I can cook them right away. 

I just checked an article that said that you should test the food with a thermometer and if it isn't above 45 degrees, it should be safe to be cooked right away.  It also says throw out eggs if they have been above 40 degrees for 4 hours or more, so :(  
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1229

Post by CarrieG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 am

pawprints wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 am
What a night Cherries. We had a severe thunderstorm roll in around 6:30 and lost our cable and then lost power around 8:30. We hadn’t eaten yet so we had coffee cake for supper. The outage map said power would not be back until 3 am and all I could think about was my refrigerator and freezer and the spare one downstairs filled with meat and eggs that I’ve so carefully stocked up on with all my Peapod deliveries. The freezers I figured would be ok in that amount of time but I really worried about the other stuff. I have dozens and dozens of eggs and some meat that I hadn’t frozen and was ready to be cooked. Then around 9:30 or so another severe storm came through. More intense lightening and loud thunder and downpour. I did some reading by flashlight and by a little after midnight I went to bed, which dh had already done hours before. Woke up to the alarm system making a shrill high pitched sound when the electric came back on at 4:15. Twinkie hates those kinds of sounds so up on the bed on top of us she was. Electric then went off again about an hour later and was off for another hour. Now I have to throw out the meat that was in the fridge and I am not sure what to do about the eggs. Thank goodness the freezers should be ok.

On a fun note I am going for my much needed mani/pedi today! Sorry my new challenges aren’t up yet. I hope to work on them some more after I get home.

your eggs should be just fine!!!!!!!!!  and if you are worried...you place an egg on its side in a deep bowl of cold (not icy) water...if it bobs up vertical--toss it--if it lays flat its great--if it leans up a bit--use it soon!

Art_Teacher
Cherry Addict

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am

Not much going on here. I have a dentist appointment for a cleaning today, but I would rather be having a mani/pedi like Barb! :)

It is sweltering at 11 am. Paisley and I already took a walk, and it was getting hot and sticky.  Every day there is a chance of pop-up thunderstorms, but we haven't had a drop of rain since last Friday. It keeps missing us and going either south or north. We live near an interstate and it seems to be the weather dividing line with rain and snow...so weird how that can affect the fronts.

I started working on my sil's birthday album yesterday and did 2 pages.  Only about 20 more to go! lol
Laura
 Image   Image  Image

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by CarrieG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:04 am

Art_Teacher wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 am
Barb, that is awful!  I would not want to throw things out, either.  I am inclined to believe that as long as you weren't opening your fridge things might be okay?  If you can cook them soon, anyway.  Not for sure on that, but I know we have had power outages for less than 12 hours and I have not thrown things out that were fresh. (We also eat cold pizza from the night before that we have not refrigerated, so we must have pretty cast-iron stomachs. lol) I do throw out things that have thawed in the freezer, unless I can cook them right away. 

I just checked an article that said that you should test the food with a thermometer and if it isn't above 45 degrees, it should be safe to be cooked right away.  It also says throw out eggs if they have been above 40 degrees for 4 hours or more, so :(  

i just told Barb the egg test--we have chickens and when our girls lay massive amounts--i have to test eggs constantly..LOL

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by CarrieG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 am

howdy ladies!

sooooooooooo yesterday was a sweltering hell--but its only supposed to be 100 today  YAY...LOL
i managed to finish the BF at the last minute and planned out two more layouts that i want to start today
pretty low key day today--woot woot!

Barb---those storms are the worst---i hope that you can relax some today!

i do need to do my kitchen--somehow it got very messy yesterday and i mentally had cleaned it up but i guess not...LOL

Deanna13
Cherry Crush
Layouts: 3408

Post by Deanna13 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:43 am

Barb, oh no!! I'm sorry to hear you lost power for so long! Hope you don't have to throw much out. We've been through that before. 😢  

I got out about 6:30 this morning to take my walk. I walked an hour and it was still wonderful weather when I was done. But, an hour or so later I was off to the gym and it was hot already! I love the hot weather, but I want an ocean breeze to go along with it! 😊

I'm working on a few of the challenges and hope to get them uploaded today. 
 ImageImageImage

Visit my Scrap Blog - Moments to Cherish Image

suewho372
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 772

Post by suewho372 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am

Oh Barb That really stinks!! I am sorry. I hope it is not a bunch of stuff.  :? 
I am happy you get to go to your mani/pedi! ENJOY!!

I am on vaca today- holiday tomorrow. So I have a 4 day break!! 
Just finished a layout! YES!  
But I need to do some cleaning.... so I will be doing that before I do anymore scrapping.
I hope you all have a good day! 
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com

MTCanuk
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1007

Post by MTCanuk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:58 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 am
pawprints wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 am

your eggs should be just fine!!!!!!!!!  and if you are worried...you place an egg on its side in a deep bowl of cold (not icy) water...if it bobs up vertical--toss it--if it lays flat its great--if it leans up a bit--use it soon! 
That's good to know, Carrie!!!  Will store this with every other good tip!!!!

Visit my blog:http://mtcanuk.blogspot.com/
Leslee

MTCanuk
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1007

Post by MTCanuk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Hope you don't have to discard to much food, Barb!!!  That's not the kind of wasting I like.

Moving very slow this morning.  Wind is blowing and my head is pounding. And my ears are ringing!  Must have some kind of front moving through.  But, I got out and walked.  Missed enough walking when my ankle was bummed up!!!
Thank goodness not too much on my agenda today.  Like most days.  The roomba ran.  And has been finding it's home much better since we moved the base to the wood floors instead of carpet.  
I watered the front gardens and will tackle my tomatoes later.  
Heading down to my sewing space to work on a table center.  It is sew pretty.  will post when finished.  
And I hope our winds die down before the idiots start setting off fireworks at dusk.  Actually someone was playing with fireworks in the neighborhood when I was out walking.  
Visit my blog:http://mtcanuk.blogspot.com/
Leslee

emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1404

Post by emmapaige » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:43 pm

I get you on the power outage and tossing of food.  We had just received a large food delivery order when the power went out.  I tossed almost everything in the fridge but other than the icecream, I keep everything (I think) in the freezer since it was jam packed.  When the power went on at 2:00 am. I checked the food and everything was rock solid.

We are having a new area rug delivered from Wayfair today.  I am now in the process of cutting up the old rug because the trash company said we had to do that.  Besides I'd never be able to get it out to the curb.  Of course it's the hottest day and I'm doing in the the garage.  So I keep coming inside, drink some ice tea and relax a little.

With that said - time to go cut up some more carpeting.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 1386

Post by Charleneanne » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Not much going on here. Coolish summer day. Only going to b 89.

Don’t know how many of you remember Mabuglet from the Olden days on ACOT, but she is coming by to hang out this afternoon. Her kids range from 14-21 now and all home just now. And as it happens I’ve ordered a few things here and there over last few weeks. With slower than usual deliveries I have 3 packages arriving today so we’ll have something to play with.

Have a good Thursday.
ImageCharleneanne

Berta R.
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 539

Post by Berta R. » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Wow, BARB, those thunder storms sound just a little bit scary!  Hope you didn't lose too much.

CARRIE, I do 'mental' cleaning a lot, too.  Kind of depressing when it's still there hours later.  :)

It's hot here, too. Not enjoying it too much.  But it's going to get hotter before summers end.  I'm scrapping today.  Some fun challenges up this month.  I finished the Book Lover's challenge last night.

***Berta***

Art_Teacher
Cherry Addict

Post by Art_Teacher » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Charleneanne wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Don’t know how many of you remember Mabuglet from the Olden days on ACOT, but she is coming by to hang out this afternoon. Her kids range from 14-21 now and all home just now. And as it happens I’ve ordered a few things here and there over last few weeks. With slower than usual deliveries I have 3 packages arriving today so we’ll have something to play with.

Have a good Thursday.
Say "Hi!" to Ma/Jamie for me! :)

Laura
 Image   Image  Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3014

Post by blbabe1234 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Hola cherries! Barb, I am so sorry to hear you lost food. That is the most horrible thing ever when you lose power for that long.

Carrie - that tip sounds very familiar. My mother was born and raised on a farm and I remember doing that when we were younger when we would lose power for a long time. Or our next door neighbor gave us eggs from her chickens.

Today has been one of those crazy days that I am so over. Emails left and right. Mostly out of Houston. Ugh....those people can never get their $&*% together! Ugh again....I started this post 2 freakin' hours ago and finally getting back.

Anyways......

Just trying to get some of these emails taken care of so they aren't sitting on my desk all weekend and I have to deal with them on Monday.

Other than that, same 'ol thing. Hot. Humid. Happy to have a 3 day weekend.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
~ Brandy Williams ~

Image Image

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 262

Post by DN in MN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Charleneanne wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Have a good Thursday.

How fun for you!  Please tell Jamie hi from me and that I miss her snarky humor ;)   
Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 45/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 262

Post by DN in MN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Good Evening All :)

I remember when eggs came in from outside and sat on the counter so don't ask me if I'd throw em.  I also make popovers and the eggs need to be at room temp.   Sorry you have to throw food out though.  Power outages suck!  

Went with BF on a road trip for me and work trip for him.  Had lunch at the best Mexican place to date!  We are now home in the AC.   It is 88 here...too hot! I don't know you peeps in the south do it. 

Have a good night!
Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 45/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   

JAire
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 394

Post by JAire » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 pm

Sorry for all the stress with the electric, Barb, I do agree with Laura about the fridge door and the food being safe - just cook it and then freeze it. Eggs are not a critical as meat, they should be fine.
We have had storms lately and did not loose power. All next week the forecast is thunder storms. Not looking forward to that, the doggies DO NOT like thunder!
I have finally come into the craft room and am scrapping!
Joyce Ann

karensay
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 238

Post by karensay » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:58 pm

hot humid day here. weeded a bit and put a bag of wood ships around 2 hydrangeas and a lilac I planted. had dog training, Baxter is such a willing student. Hope everyone is having a good evening.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper

Aztam
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 97

Post by Aztam » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 pm

It looks like the monsoons may be headed our way. It's been dark out my window toward the south. Friends on the eastside of town had sprinkles which is great to hear since the fire is in those mountains. I could feel the humidity but the temps were only in the high 90's.

The weekly zoom crop was today and I felt accomplished with 2 challenges done. Just need to add them to the gallery. I have one more almost ready to go. I bought a used silhouette and am having the darnedest time getting it to connect to my PC. I cannot get it to my hubs MAC laptop either. I know there is a work around but I cannot find an SD card to start the process. It's going to be my spare in case my current one craps out. Hope it's not a complete waste of money. All my computers have updated to Windows 10 and that's caused my calamity.

oh well, off to Amazon... 
👋

Tam

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”