A couple questions....what are your thoughts?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 412

A couple questions....what are your thoughts?

Post by aheatfan »

As I do every few months, I become overwhelmed with the hundreds of thousands of photos and knowing that I will never be able to scrap them all.  A couple years ago I invested quite a chuck of cash into Project Life and many of the pocket pages (which I think are awesome, but never really use).  As I was contemplating this month's pocket page challenge and knowing that I'm not that great at creating a grid layout it occurred to me - USE the pocket pages that are collecting dust, duh!!!

1. My question - does anyone mix pocket pages and traditional scrapbook layouts in their albums? I am thinking I could get a LOT more done this way.  Thoughts.....

2. Two kids... five years apart. Obviously, if it is only one kid in the photos, the layout goes in his book. If both kids are in the pictures, I have been making 2 - one for each kid. Is this crazy???  How do you handle that?  If you only make one, who gets it? 

🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
Flasher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 277

Re: A couple questions....what are your thoughts?

Post by Flasher »

I've seen many scrapbookers mix pocket pages with regular pages. If I used pocket pages, I would absolutely mix them.

My kids are 4 years apart, and I usually scrap the same photo for both books -- differently, of course. So, no, I don't think you're crazy.
Be the reason someone smiles today . . . or the reason they drink.  Whatever works.

lissahope26
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1304

Post by lissahope26 »

1. Yes, do it all the time.

2. I saw Becky Higgins makes an album for each of her 3 kids. Ummm, that’s not for me. My 3 can just fight over them after I die if they even want them.
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage

jcsmaestra
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 551

Post by jcsmaestra »

I like mixing traditional and pocket pages in one scrapbook. The pocket pages enable me to use more photos.  
Mary           Love is all around you.Image

ImageImage

traveler
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 343

Post by traveler »

I won a lot of those page protectors a while back and I keep planning to use them, I've used them a bit. And yes, I plan to mix them into albums with regular pages. My issue is that I need to coordinate what is on the back of them. I don't scrap chronologically, but then I tend to put my albums together chronologically or  in a different order that somehow makes logical sense. So, I need to plan carefully that I have an appropriate page on the other side of the pocket page. That is kind of keeping me from using them more. I also find that it's just as time consuming as a regular page which surprised me. 

I have 2 boys 2 years apart. When they were little, I made an album for each of them and I would often scrap the same event for each of them but I would use different pictures. I often had so many photos of each event that way I felt like I could use more of them. I'm working on high school albums for each of them, last winter they were both on the same track team, there was a nice team photo that they were both in. I used the same team photo for both of them. But that's a very specific type of exception. 

For vacations and family things, I just make on album for the whole family although in the past few years, it seems more like a pile of scrapbook pages destined for albums that I have not yet purchased. 
sherriscraps
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 172

Post by sherriscraps »

yes i sometimes mix them.  usually in vacation albums

i just put them in my album, they can fight over them, or throw them out when i die!  i knew people who did boith nand they got burnt out and stopped scrapping...
Retired, scrapping and happy!
Sherri 
suewho372
Cherry Cropper
Layouts: 775

Post by suewho372 »

Yes I mix pocket pages with regular ones mostly for Christmas albums, but just depends on what I’m doing.

I have books for each of the kids-separately ; then I have a book for pics of them together.

I don’t think you are crazy - you do what makes you happy 😃
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

lissahope26 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:47 pm
1. Yes, do it all the time.

2. I saw Becky Higgins makes an album for each of her 3 kids. Ummm, that’s not for me. My 3 can just fight over them after I die if they even want them.

Your answer made me laugh out loud.  True, we could do all this and then nobody wants them, that thought has occurred to me as well. 
🌴Kristin  
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

sherriscraps wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:24 pm
yes i sometimes mix them.  usually in vacation albums

i just put them in my album, they can fight over them, or throw them out when i die!  i knew people who did boith nand they got burnt out and stopped scrapping...

Good point, it does become somewhat tedious doing the same subject twice. Will stick with it until I can't take it anymore, lol
🌴Kristin  
JAire
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 438

Post by JAire »

I do mix in the pocket pages with the regular. I plan the back side of each as I am doing them. That takes care of lots of those extra photos. When I use a pocket page (which I'm not creative with, unfortunately) make sure the back fits chronologically.
Don't have the need for the two sets. My granddaughter will inherit my albums when my DD no longer wants them and she can do as she pleases - whoever of the 3 great grands may get them is up to her. I do have a digital copy on my external hard drive.
ImageJoyce Ann
ImageImageImage
ernstem
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 20

Post by ernstem »

I mix pocket pages occasionally (they aren't my favorite but are nice when I have too many photos to scrap but feel the person needs all of them in his/her album).

As for albums...I have 3 systems going at all times. 1. Family (for DH and I) 2. for DS#1 (he will eventually take all of these when he's ready) 3. DS#2 (he will take his also at some point)  I print and document what I feel each person wants/needs in their albums. What will I want to show them years from now? What will they want to remember?  So some photos I print 3 copies, some only print 1 for a certain person's album. I do make sure to include the rest of the family in each child's albums too. As well as grandparents, cousins, etc. and that is easy enough to do at family gatherings and trips.

Aztam
Cherry Picker
Layouts: 175

Post by Aztam »

I never got into the PL thing, but last year I started adding PL pages to a monthly highlight album. Then this year I started albums for 2 albums for my grands where I mix different sizes. I’ve thrown a couple 8 1/2x11s in there too!

I have used the same pics in both the girls books, but I usually mix it up and not do the same design.

Hope you have fun with it.
👋

Tam
scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 1353

Post by scrapy1967 »

Yes I mix traditional with pocket pages especially when i am getting towards the end of the event just so I can get it done and because by then I only have a few left and they are usually the odd ball ones. As far as the children I do not have any so i can not answer that lol.
ImageImage 

Art_Teacher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 1761

Post by Art_Teacher »

I say do what makes you happy, because there is no wrong way to scrap! Any way you do it, you are preserving memories. ;)  I have resigned myself to the fact I will never be caught up, and I will have tons of photos and supplies left to pass on to somebody when I die. lol  Plus, the albums...all these albums. Sadly, since I don't have kids, probably nobody will want them and they will end up in the trash heap, but I am making them for myself and my husband!  (I have 2 nephews, but they are not the type who will really care about photo albums.) I try not to think about where they will end up, because it sort of depresses me.  I love looking through old photo albums, but I'm not sure young people these days really care about them. Everything is on their phones...everything is just so temporary today, it feels like.  Too many who are into disposable culture...if it breaks, toss it, if it takes up space, toss it, get the newest and best all the time. :(  Everything digital and nothing tangible...it's sad.

I also bought some PL stuff when Pat Catan's was going out of business last year.  Thanks for the push to start using them...why didn't I think of mixing them in with other pages?
Laura
 Image   Image    Image  Image
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

Art_Teacher wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am
I say do what makes you happy, because there is no wrong way to scrap! Any way you do it, you are preserving memories. ;)  I have resigned myself to the fact I will never be caught up, and I will have tons of photos and supplies left to pass on to somebody when I die. lol  Plus, the albums...all these albums. Sadly, since I don't have kids, probably nobody will want them and they will end up in the trash heap, but I am making them for myself and my husband!  (I have 2 nephews, but they are not the type who will really care about photo albums.) I try not to think about where they will end up, because it sort of depresses me.  I love looking through old photo albums, but I'm not sure young people these days really care about them. Everything is on their phones...everything is just so temporary today, it feels like.  Too many who are into disposable culture...if it breaks, toss it, if it takes up space, toss it, get the newest and best all the time. :(  Everything digital and nothing tangible...it's sad.

I also bought some PL stuff when Pat Catan's was going out of business last year.  Thanks for the push to start using them...why didn't I think of mixing them in with other pages?
Agreed, I always have the end in mine when I do things and it is very sad to think this will all end up in  the trash someday. I too am doing them for me and hope that the boys will keep them. So true about the disposable digital culture :(

🌴Kristin  
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. I see the difficulty in using pocket pages with traditional as the facing page needs to be planned out as well. I will add some as I think it's a way to get a lot of photos in especially for those recurring events and holidays. 

You guys that make two different layouts for each kid are amazing!! I do the same layout for both... different books, different kids, same layout. 
🌴Kristin  
Mommyof5
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 37

Post by Mommyof5 »

Definitely mix the two if you think it would better suit your needs. 

And I had 5 kids.  I made them each their own BABY album...but now I do it differently. 

I have a variety of albums with a variety of photos...and they will each get to choose which one they want...if they even want any. 

I have albums that are for Holidays...Christmas, Easter etc.
I have Brothers albums, Sisters albums, family outings, Sports, and lots of just "random" albums. 

With four kids to divide them up between...I think each one will be satisfied, because I make a point to make sure that every album has a variety in it.  They all know that they can always make copies of photos if there is one that they particularly love. 
and they all also know that is how the albums will be divided...so no arguing. lol
Have a Wonderful Day!  ~Misty
Image   Image
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

Mommyof5 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:18 am
Definitely mix the two if you think it would better suit your needs. 

And I had 5 kids.  I made them each their own BABY album...but now I do it differently. 

I have a variety of albums with a variety of photos...and they will each get to choose which one they want...if they even want any. 

I have albums that are for Holidays...Christmas, Easter etc.
I have Brothers albums, Sisters albums, family outings, Sports, and lots of just "random" albums. 

With four kids to divide them up between...I think each one will be satisfied, because I make a point to make sure that every album has a variety in it.  They all know that they can always make copies of photos if there is one that they particularly love. 
and they all also know that is how the albums will be divided...so no arguing. lol
That's a great idea. Yes, that would be way too many layouts to duplicate. Like the idea of theme albums. I do that for vacations and for that, they can fight it out. 

🌴Kristin  
scrappinmom99
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 1000

Post by scrappinmom99 »

trainmom wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:18 pm
For vacations and family things, I just make on album for the whole family although in the past few years, it seems more like a pile of scrapbook pages destined for albums that I have not yet purchased. 

This pretty much sums up my life LOL!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
aheatfan
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by aheatfan »

scrappinmom99 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:21 am
trainmom wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:18 pm

This pretty much sums up my life LOL! 
LOl!!!

🌴Kristin  

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”