Album size?!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

ToriMikal
Cherry Tart

Album size?!

Post by ToriMikal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:51 am

So this may seem like a silly question, but what’s the most practical album size to both fit all the typical scrapbooking goodies in, and be something that can be displayed on a bookshelf?

For example, I just realized that the main bookcase in my home with all our knick-knacks, photos, etc. isn’t deep enough to fit a traditional 12x12 album… and of course this is where I planned to house the scrapbook.

I have lots of cards from family and friends for graduations, birthdays, and anniversaries that I plan on putting in it using waterfall pockets to minimize how many pages I actually use for the cards, so I know the thickness of the scrapbook is going to get pretty wide when it’s all said and done. But I’m afraid that an album any smaller than 12x12 would triple the overall size   😥

So please, any thoughts or suggestions would be mucho appreciated!!
😁 Victoria

JAire
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 423

Re: Album size?!

Post by JAire » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 am

8 1/2 by 11 may be a good fit for you.
Joyce Ann

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 259

Post by Natalie Dill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm

I totally feel your deliemma!

I have an entire wall of built in book shelves that won't hold my 12x12 albums.
However, I still feel this is the best size for all of my yearly family albums. They will fit everything. Even certificates and things that are larger than 8.5x11.

I store mine lying down. The spines stick out but I dont hate it.
Also I feel like it may be better for my scrapbooks in the long run bc gravity is weighing on them evenly, rather than pulling down the pages from the bottom.

Natalie 💖 🍒  Find more at Dillightfully Crafty

scrappinmom99
Cherry Cola
Layouts: 986

Post by scrappinmom99 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Currently I scrap mostly 12x12 with a few "special" 8x11 albums - pics with Santa, recipes, a pandemic album and probably in the future a 9/11 album. We have a shelving unit that was bought for the TV and vinyl albums. DH is getting rid of most of the albums....which are 12x12 (!) so I"ll be using that space whenever that happens. We have a bookcase that has 2 shelves that are tall enough for 12x12 albums but they do stick out a little. I'm planning to get some cube storage type shelves from IKEA in the near future. I want some low, wide shelves for one whole wall and use that for my albums and have a gallery wall above it. That's the plan anyway. I might switch to 8x11 for other special albums too, like maybe birthday or holiday albums.
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie

ToriMikal
Cherry Tart

Post by ToriMikal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 pm

NatalieDill wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm
I totally feel your deliemma!

I have an entire wall of built in book shelves that won't hold my 12x12 albums.
However, I still feel this is the best size for all of my yearly family albums. They will fit everything. Even certificates and things that are larger than 8.5x11.

I store mine lying down. The spines stick out but I dont hate it.
Also I feel like it may be better for my scrapbooks in the long run bc gravity is weighing on them evenly, rather than pulling down the pages from the bottom.

ImageImage

Thank you so much for the visual - Your albums laying flat definitely blend in well with your bookcases and looks classy!!  And now that I think about it, you're totally onto something there about the weight of the pages and the 12x12 being most practical for larger mementos.  I don't currently have any large things I plan on putting in my scrapbook(s), but now that you mention it I don't want to take away that option now and totally regret it later haha

ToriMikal
Cherry Tart

Post by ToriMikal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm

scrappinmom99 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:07 pm
Currently I scrap mostly 12x12 with a few "special" 8x11 albums - pics with Santa, recipes, a pandemic album and probably in the future a 9/11 album. We have a shelving unit that was bought for the TV and vinyl albums. DH is getting rid of most of the albums....which are 12x12 (!) so I"ll be using that space whenever that happens. We have a bookcase that has 2 shelves that are tall enough for 12x12 albums but they do stick out a little. I'm planning to get some cube storage type shelves from IKEA in the near future. I want some low, wide shelves for one whole wall and use that for my albums and have a gallery wall above it. That's the plan anyway. I might switch to 8x11 for other special albums too, like maybe birthday or holiday albums.

I feel so silly, I never thought about housing the scrapbook(s) in the entertainment stand haha We're planning on upgrading our stand relatively soon, which also holds various knick-knacks and photos, so a scrapbook would totally look and feel in place there!  And I love your idea of the IKEA cube-cases, those things are so unbelievably versatile!!  😍

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”