Please help me create my new craft room

Moderator: ACOT Employee

traveler
Cherry Bing
Layouts: 316

Please help me create my new craft room

Post by traveler » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm

We are going to move to different house when Benjamin goes to college (in 2 years). However, we are starting to spend time there now and I would like to be able to do crafts there sooner. I have enough stash and tools that I can probably move half of it there and leave half of it here for the next 2 years. (Actually I would like to recycle or donate a good fraction of it, but that's a separate discussion).

Right now I have a small room which has 2 desks, one is more of a table that I use for paper-crafting, the other is an old computer desk that I use with a desktop computer and printer/scanner. I use this desk for all my personal "business" not just crafting. My storage is mostly those scrapbook cubes from the big chain store which is in a closet, and 2 clear over-door shoe bags hanging from the closet doors. The new room does not have a closet and these items have been with me a long time and are not moving again. 

So, here is the new room:
ImageImageImage

The room is about 14'x16'. As you can see there is a window seat under one window and another wall has a ledge which is a little higher than the window seat.  That only leaves me 2 walls that I can place things against. The wall that isn't shown has a door in the corner and that is it. 

I would like to decorate with white furniture to match the trim but the things that I will eventually bring are back, so I can do all black or black and white. 

In 2 years, I will move this table which is about 6'x3' and has no storage:

I will also move this "ladder" bookcase which has nice big shelves and holds my massive photo printer:
I also have a rocking chair that I hope to put in there (if it doesn't get claimed for some other room, it's pretty comfortable). 

Other than some bins and baskets, pretty much everything else that I currently have is particle board or other cheap junk and will not be moving. 

In the short term, I need storage solutions for all types of scrapbook stuff. I also need a desk where I can do crafting. I like the idea of this desk from pottery barn https://www.potterybarn.com/products/be ... 0table%7C3 but I'm not sure how the white will look with the other black furniture. 

I was hoping to purchase another big black ladder bookcase but it may have been discontinued. 

My husband has specifically instructed me to ask all of you for suggestions for storage. I also would be interested in desk suggestions. The goal is to have everything in the future house look neat and not cluttered like our current house. 

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask questions if any of this in unclear. 

Flasher
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 281

Re: Please help me create my new craft room

Post by Flasher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 pm

I love that Pottery Barn desk!  I think it will look fine with the other black furniture, especially since the trim is white as well.  I always like to coordinate, so if it were me, I'd use some of the spaces on the Pottery Barn desk for black baskets or black hat boxes  or doilies to play off the other furniture, and do the same with the black furniture by using white baskets or white boxes or white doilies!  Either way, you have to love it, so I say if you're happy with how you've incorporated things and how they function, you're good to go!  Have fun with it!
When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning.", I sleep in until noon because . . . you know . . . I'm a problem solver.

Flasher
Cherry Delight

Post by Flasher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:39 pm

For storage, have you thought about maybe an unfinished wooden dresser that you can paint . . . maybe white with black drawer fronts? 
When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning.", I sleep in until noon because . . . you know . . . I'm a problem solver.

Mommyof5
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 35

Post by Mommyof5 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:43 pm

I can't get past your photo of your new room!  GORGEOUS!!!!   Good luck!!! 
Have a Wonderful Day!  ~Misty
Image   Image

Vicki R.
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 282

Post by Vicki R. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:44 pm

This is one of my favorite storage units.  I bought it at Target in the college dorm area.  The see thru drawers are from WM!  I love that I can see what's in them. 

traveler
Cherry Bing

Post by traveler » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Laura wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:39 pm
For storage, have you thought about maybe an unfinished wooden dresser that you can paint . . . maybe white with black drawer fronts? 

I wish I was capable of painting unfinished furniture. Also, due to the lack of wall space, I am sort of thinking that I want storage solutions that can go in the middle of a room, perhaps on wheels. I know I have seen photos of such things, but I was wondering if anyone has ideas about it.

I really like your black and white ideas. I have a bunch of white cloth bins that I can use, and I will keep an eye out for black baskets. 

traveler
Cherry Bing

Post by traveler » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:49 pm

VickiR wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:44 pm
This is one of my favorite storage units.  I bought it at Target in the college dorm area.  The see thru drawers are from WM!  I love that I can see what's in them. 

I actually have this. We have 2 of them that are 2x8 and white and one that is 3x3 and black. We got them at Target. They are in use in our current house but I could definitely snag some of them in 2 years. Things can fall out the back so those drawers are a good idea. 

sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 356

Post by sdwhru » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:56 pm

So I wanted a desk like that, but couldn't find one I wanted that really fit, so my wonderful DH made me one.  Hopefully the pics below give you an idea of how it is.  Probably the hardest thing was decided on the height of the legs and the dimensions inside of the legs for storage.  He painted it coral for me also.

ImageImage

emmapaige
Wild Cherry
Layouts: 1461

Post by emmapaige » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Oh my gosh...you new room looks amazing and I can't wait to come "into the city" to visit with you!!!
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

traveler
Cherry Bing

Post by traveler » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:19 pm

emmapaige wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:52 pm
Oh my gosh...you new room looks amazing and I can't wait to come "into the city" to visit with you!!!

Yes. I will need 2 chairs so you can come scrap with me.

traveler
Cherry Bing

Post by traveler » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:41 am

Here is another idea:
https://www.potterybarn.com/products/st ... Shelf%7C25

my "ladder" shelf seems to be discontinued, but this desk seems to be the same collection and match it perfectly. I could use this small deck for my computer and then still have the big black table shown in the first post for craft work. 

traveler
Cherry Bing

Post by traveler » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:47 am

Also, I need something to protect my floor. Any thoughts? Some sort of washable rug?

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 277

Post by DN in MN » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:53 am

What if you make an island in the middle of the room with the cubes you are using for storage?  All you would need is a top then.   You can custom build one from IKEA using their app.

Love your new space and can't wait to see you finish it!   

I utilized IKEA's kitchen and office items for my space.  Look for a movable kitchen island with storage.

I wish you luck :) 
Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 52/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3050

Post by blbabe1234 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 am

Your new room looks amazing! Love the window seat! 

I'm really no help as my craft room has two closets and DH built me some shelves that are 14 inches deep - perfect for all things that fit 12x12. 

However, I do have a small unit on the wall that holds all the my mixed media - sprays, inks, pastes and little things - like sequins, buttons. 

I got it from Michael's a few years ago. I believe its Recollections brand.

Brandy Williams

Image  Image Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Layouts: 3050

Post by blbabe1234 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:57 am

I have these carts with drawers that have wheels. My SIl got them from a garage sale about 5 years ago, but with 2 kiddos under 2 and living in an apt, she gave them to me. 

The drawers are roughly 12 X 10, so not quite 12x12, but I have my embellishments in them. Stickers, flowers, dies/stencils, etc. 

Brandy Williams

Image  Image Image

Flasher
Cherry Delight

Post by Flasher » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:22 am

Color me silly, I read that your wall space was limited.  Don't know why I suggested a dresser.  😔

For storage, have you thought about considering a kitchen island for that?  This one isn't on wheels, but I know others are:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOMESTYLES- ... 245387-_-N

Flasher
Cherry Delight

Post by Flasher » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:24 am

trainmom wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:41 am
Here is another idea:
https://www.potterybarn.com/products/st ... Shelf%7C25

my "ladder" shelf seems to be discontinued, but this desk seems to be the same collection and match it perfectly. I could use this small deck for my computer and then still have the big black table shown in the first post for craft work. 

I'm in love with this!!

wimom
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 414

Post by wimom » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Your room is beautiful! I have a wall with 16 white Store in Style cubes that I love. They have backs and adjustable/removable shelves so I can configure them to hold a variety of things. I put a file drawer in one and 3 small drawers in another. They are maybe 16x16? They hold my WeR 12x12 scrapbooks. I don't know that these are still made but maybe you could find something similar? I know many people online rave about their Ikea storage, too. Google and Pinterest are your friends! Good luck!

Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin

wimom
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by wimom » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:29 pm

VickiR wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Vicki I love your room decor! All those vintage-y metal pieces, the sunflowers, the turquoise, that clock  ,,, just wonderful!

wimom
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by wimom » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:33 pm

sdwhru wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:56 pm
So I wanted a desk like that, but couldn't find one I wanted that really fit, so my wonderful DH made me one.  Hopefully the pics below give you an idea of how it is.  Probably the hardest thing was decided on the height of the legs and the dimensions inside of the legs for storage.  He painted it coral for me also.

ImageImage
Love your beautiful blue walls with the coral desk! What a great place to create!

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”