Does anyone volunteer in a scrappy way?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia
Layouts: 413

Does anyone volunteer in a scrappy way?

Post by JillinIN » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:56 pm

I don't know how I'd fit more volunteering in. But I think I'd enjoy occasionally taking some scrappy supplies (I have a ton) to a nursing home, Boys and Girls Club or a Girl Scout meeting and making cards or a scrapbook page that they can hang or frame. I was a Girl Scout leader when my girls were little and occasionally I'd do cards or scrapbooking with the troop.

Does anyone volunteer, scrappy style anywhere?
If so where and what do you do?
Jill
 ImageImage

CarrieG
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 1207

Re: Does anyone volunteer in a scrappy way?

Post by CarrieG » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:58 pm

i have in the past donated supplies and scrappy time at the senior center........i dont make cards really but the gals loved making them.

Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Layouts: 1366

Post by Charleneanne » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:21 pm

I don’t volunteer but I do regular donating of Sb supplies etc to a local high school young adult special needs class.
ImageCharleneanne

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 246

Post by DN in MN » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm

I just donate supplies to the daycare center my grandkids go to or send them off to the one my DD's friend runs.  Never really thought about other kinds of volunteering.
 Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 34/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   

SCRAPBOOKINGVLCS
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 9

Post by SCRAPBOOKINGVLCS » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm

I JUST DONATED 2 BANANA BOXES REALLY FULL OF SBS TO THE HIGH SCHOOL HERE IN THE CARD MAKING DEPT.... THATS WHERE I USUALLY DONATE 2.... WHEN I HAD MY BRICK & MORTER STORE I HAD THE GIRL SCOUTS OVER FOR AN ALL NIGHT SCRAPBOOKING FEST (6PM TO 6AM) HAD A BLAST WITH THEM.... OTHERWISE I DON'T VOLUNTEER ANYWHERE.... VALERIE

suewho372
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Layouts: 744

Post by suewho372 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:07 pm

I have in the past done a weekly scrappy night at a women's domestic abuse shelter. I haven't done it in the past few years, but it was actually very rewarding/and difficult at the same time. 
Susan

Check out my blog:  http://suewho372.wordpress.com

Vicki R.
Sweet Cherry Pie
Layouts: 242

Post by Vicki R. » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:01 pm

I donate to our grandson's day care and our local library.  They have a children's hour along with a craft and play area.

I also use my scraps to make book markers.  There is always a container of them at the checkout desk and when I see it's low, I make more!

Jaditelady173
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 41

Post by Jaditelady173 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:01 am

Yes, I make cards and some layouts for people at a local Nursing home for certain occasions. And sometimes when some of the residents asked for them. I also make cards for my brothers hospice ministry he does. I try to make sure he gets an assortment of cards for when he goes to visit with people. I've also made layouts for Animal rescue groups to feature dogs or cats available for adoption...And sometimes for people who have lost their fur baby to remember them by. All they need to do is add the pictures.
Last edited by Jaditelady173 on Sat May 02, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia

Post by JillinIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:27 pm

CarrieG wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:58 pm
i have in the past donated supplies and scrappy time at the senior center........i dont make cards really but the gals loved making them.

This is a great idea. We have an abundance of health campuses (nursing homes) around and there's also a senior center near by.
Jill
 ImageImage

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia

Post by JillinIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Charleneanne wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:21 pm
I don’t volunteer but I do regular donating of Sb supplies etc to a local high school young adult special needs class.

I never would have thought of this. That's a great idea.
Jill
 ImageImage

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia

Post by JillinIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:37 pm

DN in MN wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm
I just donate supplies to the daycare center my grandkids go to or send them off to the one my DD's friend runs.  Never really thought about other kinds of volunteering.

I bet they have fun with them at daycare. :-D
Jill
 ImageImage

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia

Post by JillinIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:40 pm

SCRAPBOOKINGVLCS wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm
I JUST DONATED 2 BANANA BOXES REALLY FULL OF SBS TO THE HIGH SCHOOL HERE IN THE CARD MAKING DEPT.... THATS WHERE I USUALLY DONATE 2.... WHEN I HAD MY BRICK & MORTER STORE I HAD THE GIRL SCOUTS OVER FOR AN ALL NIGHT SCRAPBOOKING FEST (6PM TO 6AM) HAD A BLAST WITH THEM.... OTHERWISE I DON'T VOLUNTEER ANYWHERE.... VALERIE

Wow, that's a lot of scrappy supplies. The Girl Scout all night scrapbooking fest sounds like fun. I'm sure you've given those girls a life-long memory.
Jill
 ImageImage

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia

Post by JillinIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:43 pm

suewho372 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:07 pm
I have in the past done a weekly scrappy night at a women's domestic abuse shelter. I haven't done it in the past few years, but it was actually very rewarding/and difficult at the same time. 
I can see how this would be rewarding and difficult. I bet that was good therapy for those women.

Jill
 ImageImage

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia

Post by JillinIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:45 pm

VickiR wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:01 pm
I donate to our grandson's day care and our local library.  They have a children's hour along with a craft and play area.

I also use my scraps to make book markers.  There is always a container of them at the checkout desk and when I see it's low, I make more!
I wouldn't have thought of the library. Our library has so many great programs including a family craft night. I love the idea of making book markers to leave on the counter at the library. Would you mind sharing a picture of what you usually make?

Jill
 ImageImage

JillinIN
Cherry Garcia

Post by JillinIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Jaditelady173 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:01 am
Yes, I make cards and some layouts for people at a local Nursing home for certain occasions. And sometimes when some of the residents asked for them. I also make cards for my brothers hospice ministry he does. I try to name sure he gets an assortment of cards for when he goes to visit with people. I've also made layouts for Animal rescue groups to feature dogs or cats available for adoption...And sometimes for people who have lost their fur baby to remember them by. All they need to do is add the pictures.
These are all great ideas. I'm sure all of these people are deeply touched by your kindness.

Jill
 ImageImage

DN in MN
Cherry Jubilee
Layouts: 246

Post by DN in MN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:12 pm

JillinIN wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:37 pm
DN in MN wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm

I bet they have fun with them at daycare. :-D 
They do and my DD sends me photos of things they make and says... hey, I remember this paper... it was yours, lol

Image   Image   Image

2020 ~ 34/75 Layouts ~ 3 Card(s)   

shoorn
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 1633

Post by shoorn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Haven't actually volunteered but have donated to schools and preschools. I may have to go through supplies and purge again. Problem is I will have to find a place that will take donations when we settle down. 
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”