Skip to main content
World Card Making Day SALE! Take 15% off the regular price of everything, or 20% off orders $100+ with codeWCMD
Cherry Hunt Daily Progress 0/2000
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Kindle Users??
Does anyone have a new kindle they can tell me about? How is reading on it? Do you get glare on it? How much light do I need to read? Do you like yours?


Thanks for all the help. :)
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Kindle Users??
When they first came out I thought I wanted one but I soon realized I'm much more addicted to audio books so no Kindle.
ImageImage
User avatar

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
SBcrazee wrote:When they first came out I thought I wanted one but I soon realized I'm much more addicted to audio books so no Kindle.


Ditto, I can listen to the audiobooks as I clean on my ipod. dishes and a book at same time. Helps me forget how long I've been cleaning if its a good book or series.
User avatar

LKappy

Cherry Garcia

Re: Kindle Users??
We got my dd a Sony e-reader for Christmas (haven't used it). I have researched a little on them and the Sony is supposed to be more versatile. I read the Kindle has a lot of bells and whistles, but not necessary if you just want it for reading books. It is great for people that have major research to do. I think the Kindle can only use Amazon books? Correct me if I am wrong.

Check out CNet.com
~*Lisa*~
Image

Image
User avatar

Leeanna

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
I don't have one, but I keep going back and forth on deciding if I should get one. I just don't know if I would like using it as compared to reading a book and knowing how much longer the chapter is and how much longer the rest of the book is. I know there are page numbers, but it's not the same as visualizing the thickness that's left. I have sooo many classic literature books that I would love to get rid of and condense down to one little hand held machine, but I get so tired of looking at a computer all the time as it is. I don't know....
Image Image
User avatar

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Re: Kindle Users??
Since it's a first generation product, I'm going to stick with our eReader for now. The Kindle is expensive and there are NO repair shops in case you "accidently" break it.
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
MOM2SNOX wrote:Since it's a first generation product, I'm going to stick with our eReader for now. The Kindle is expensive and there are NO repair shops in case you "accidently" break it.


Ok so tell me about the Sony E-reader. How many books are available for it?
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

LKappy

Cherry Garcia

Re: Kindle Users??
Link
That is a Sony link, so it is bias to it's own product... but it gives you an idea.

The Kindle is just way more than we wanted to spend on an ereader for her.

For you or one of your children?

BUT,I am sure the Kindle is a better ereader. I don't understand why they can't share book formats. I guess that would be too easy.
~*Lisa*~
Image

Image
User avatar

scrapsakes

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
a couple of friends have them and both agreed that the 2nd batch
is way better than the 1st one... brighter, slimmer (i think?) and it
is wireless, plus it has a feature that reads to you like audiobooks
do if you're into listening instead of reading texts and am thinking
of maybe getting one too, except i love reading from actual books,
but for travelling, i might reconsider... a good, much lighter idea.


i wish they'd do this for students though so they don't have to lug all
those big heavy books around to & from school and saves trees too!
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)
Image
User avatar

scrap-o-holic

Cherry Bing

Re: Kindle Users??
good information. aren't both brands approx the same price?
Sometimes the one you think is your knight in shining armour might actually turn out to be a retard in tin foil!
User avatar

allysonc

Cherry Cola

Re: Kindle Users??
hrm there is the sony, the nook, and the kindle..gosh.. which one is the best? lol. I am curious about this as well.. Though probably won't be able to get one for awhile..so. hrm..

Is it true you can only get amazon books on the kindle?

Sorry i'm repeating q's you guys posted.. I just didn't see any answers to them..maybe I missed them.
Ally
User avatar

LKappy

Cherry Garcia

Re: Kindle Users??
Sony

This is the one we got. Very basic in comparison to the others, but she will use it to just read books.

I still need to search the Sony site and find out more about it. This one is $199 compared to the others $259+.
~*Lisa*~
Image

Image
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
It's for me and I read a LOT so it's totally worth the price for what I will save on the books themselves. I was getting a nook but now that peeps are getting them, reports are coming out that it's buggy, plus the main reason I picked nook was their claim to have over 1,000,000 books available. Well it came out that they were counting all the public domain books available on Google. So that kinda ticked me off.

As far as I know, kindle books are only compatible with Kindle, BUT it also reads pdf format so if you found a book that was pdf, you could also read that.

ETA: Just like with the Sony, Nook books are only readable on Nook.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
LKappy wrote:Sony

This is the one we got. Very basic in comparison to the others, but she will use it to just read books.

I still need to search the Sony site and find out more about it. This one is $199 compared to the others $259+.


Kindle & Nook hold 1500 books for $259. To get that much capacity on Sony you need to spend $399.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
allysonc wrote:hrm there is the sony, the nook, and the kindle..gosh.. which one is the best? lol. I am curious about this as well.. Though probably won't be able to get one for awhile..so. hrm..

Is it true you can only get amazon books on the kindle?

Sorry i'm repeating q's you guys posted.. I just didn't see any answers to them..maybe I missed them.


From everything I read today, the Kindle is a *little* better than Nook. I think if I could, I would wait for B&N to work out the problems with Nook. (Just like Amazon had to do with Kindle). But I've got my heart set on getting an e-reader for Christmas. Like I said, I do a LOT of reading and plus with only one car, I would have to wait around for Bobby to get a new book when I want one. With this I could just buy and download right to the reader anytime.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

MamaK321

Cherry Addict

Re: Kindle Users??
I jsut bought one for dd for Xmas. I first saw the Nook at B&N and compared all three; Nook, Kindle and the Sony versions. The Nook & Kindle are better and I ultimately chose the Kindle because I love the ability of the 3G network to download material from practically anywhere!! All the tech aspects are pretty equal, even the price for books, with the B&N Nook.

I believe, from all my research on each website, watching the videos and reading Amazon customer reviews, that the reading is great. Just like a real book... no glare because the screen is made of some special material that doesn't glare, even in sunlight! And yes, you may desire a lamp to read by in low light, just as you would with a real book. I have seen light attachments that will clip onto the device and I may be shopping for one after I get the kindle in my hands.
Image Image
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
MamaK321 wrote:I jsut bought one for dd for Xmas. I first saw the Nook at B&N and compared all three; Nook, Kindle and the Sony versions. The Nook & Kindle are better and I ultimately chose the Kindle because I love the ability of the 3G network to download material from practically anywhere!! All the tech aspects are pretty equal, even the price for books, with the B&N Nook.

I believe, from all my research on each website, watching the videos and reading Amazon customer reviews, that the reading is great. Just like a real book... no glare because the screen is made of some special material that doesn't glare, even in sunlight! And yes, you may desire a lamp to read by in low light, just as you would with a real book. I have seen light attachments that will clip onto the device and I may be shopping for one after I get the kindle in my hands.

Thanks Kristi! I was wondering mainly how reading on them was going to be. Like you said, the tech specs are all almost exactly the same. Kindle had lots of positive reviews, but you know how it is, until you get something in your hands, you're never sure.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Kindle Users??
scrapsakes wrote:a couple of friends have them and both agreed that the 2nd batch
is way better than the 1st one... brighter, slimmer (i think?) and it
is wireless, plus it has a feature that reads to you like audiobooks
do if you're into listening instead of reading texts and am thinking
of maybe getting one too, except i love reading from actual books,
but for travelling, i might reconsider... a good, much lighter idea.


i wish they'd do this for students though so they don't have to lug all
those big heavy books around to & from school and saves trees too!


I read huge long books. This is a big part of why I want an e-reader. Trying to hold these heavy books is what messed up my hand. :(
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

scrappin44

Cherry Blossom

Re: Kindle Users??
I like downloading books on my ipod.
ImageImage
User avatar

Beth-W

Featured Guest Coordinator

Re: Kindle Users??
I have been curious about these as well. TFS all of the info everyone!!! :-D
~Beth
"Make it bigger, make it badder, make it awesome" -Duff Goldman
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

http://latteonthebrain.blogspot.com/


ImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee