Skip to main content
Cherry Hunt Daily Progress 0/1000
User avatar

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

Vacuum help!
I was getting ready to clean the house and my vacuum quit! It is old...I tried all the standard things to try to get it going and it is not working!
Any suggestions on what type of vacuum to get? I have all kinds of floor surfaces to clean. Thanks!!!
User avatar

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Vacuum help!
Um, I suck because I am totally piggybacking on this question!

I've heard Dysons are great, but they are pretty pricey! I have very long and very thick hair and that seems to mess up all our vacuums. Anyone have a recommendation for a particularly strong vacuum?
User avatar

LuvUMore

Cherry Picker

Re: Vacuum help!
I have a Rainbow and I LOVE it- I also have 5 indoor cats, a dog (Rotty) who comes in and out all day and 4 kids....my Rainbow is great, pricey but if I lost it or it was stolen, I'd buy another one!
August Goal 1/10 layouts 9/20 cards
Mini Album for Mom



Image
ImageImageImageImage Image
User avatar

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

Re: Vacuum help!
ScrapGoo wrote:Um, I suck because I am totally piggybacking on this question!

I've heard Dysons are great, but they are pretty pricey! I have very long and very thick hair and that seems to mess up all our vacuums. Anyone have a recommendation for a particularly strong vacuum?

hey girl! no worries!

I too need a super STRONG one!!! LOL!!!
User avatar

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

Re: Vacuum help!
A Rainbow! Never heard of it! Where can you buy one?
User avatar

LuvUMore

Cherry Picker

Re: Vacuum help!
Well it's along the line of a Kirby, we had a guy come in and demo it, we did the demo for a friend of ours and we weren't even in the market for a vacuum at the time....it's a bagless system, it actually uses a resevior for water and you can add a few drops of oil to it to 'fragerence your room' as you clean. I have mostly hardwood floors, though the bedrooms are carpeted. Here's the link to their main site http://www.rainbowsystem.com/rainbowsys ... lg=english
August Goal 1/10 layouts 9/20 cards
Mini Album for Mom



Image
ImageImageImageImage Image
User avatar

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

Re: Vacuum help!
LuvUMore wrote:Well it's along the line of a Kirby, we had a guy come in and demo it, we did the demo for a friend of ours and we weren't even in the market for a vacuum at the time....it's a bagless system, it actually uses a resevior for water and you can add a few drops of oil to it to 'fragerence your room' as you clean. I have mostly hardwood floors, though the bedrooms are carpeted. Here's the link to their main site http://www.rainbowsystem.com/rainbowsys ... lg=english

TFS! Will have to check into this!
User avatar

gonecamping

Cherry Garcia

Re: Vacuum help!
I love my Dyson..it gets up the hair no problem!
***Tanya***
Image
User avatar

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Vacuum help!
I have a Dyson (it's even PINK!), but quite honestly, I'm not sure it works any better than anything else. It is strong and picks up all my hair (I have a lot of it, too!) and works good on carpet and hardwood. It's easy to empty and you just have to clean a spongy filter with plain water every 6 months, let it dry & pop it back in. But, like I said, my MIL had a Dirt Devil that was also bagless and I think hers picked up just as well for about half the price.
User avatar

4peasinourpod

Wild Cherry

Re: Vacuum help!
FYI...when we had new carpet put it, the installer told me that if we have a Dyson, the warranty is voided. I think that sucks, and it might just be the manufacturer that WE had installed, but it is just something to think about.


If you have older carpet, it wouldnt matter :)
~pam~
User avatar

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

Re: Vacuum help!
the place we are staying in now has new carpet and it is driving me crazy! thanks for all the suggestions ladies!
User avatar

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Vacuum help!
4peasinourpod wrote:FYI...when we had new carpet put it, the installer told me that if we have a Dyson, the warranty is voided. I think that sucks, and it might just be the manufacturer that WE had installed, but it is just something to think about.


If you have older carpet, it wouldnt matter :)

What?? So getting a NEW carpet was the problem? That is super lame. :waiting:
User avatar

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

Re: Vacuum help!
New carpet sucks!!! :?
User avatar

Art_Teacher

A Cherry on Top

Re: Vacuum help!
I agree about the Rainbow, if you can get one. My mom has had one for 35 years and it still works fantastic!
Laura
 Image    Image     Image
User avatar

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Vacuum help!
I've got an Electra and I would not recommend it. It is the one with that "spin brush" thingy on the side to pick up dust. Yea, it picks up dust and then half of it comes off when you put the brush back in the thingy to get it sucked off! Swifter dusters do a better job!!
User avatar

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Re: Vacuum help!
The BEST vacuum I ever owned was a Hoover canister. It lasted about 15 years before it finally gave up!

I went to a Dyson (2, in fact) and neither lived up to their expectations. One did such a crappy job (the yellow one) that I swore off Dysons altogether.

I prefer a canister versus the uprights but so far I haven't been able to find another quality one like my Hoover so I'm using a Kenmore canister. It's ok but in actuality, my Hoover Widepath Tempo (upright) works better. I think I've gone through about 12 vacuums in the last 10 years and to this day, I haven't found one that I think does the BEST job. Still lookin....!

Let us know what you decide to purchase!
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!
User avatar

killarney_rose

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Vacuum help!
Dyson Animal is the one I have......expensive but you'll love a Dyson!!!!
User avatar

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

Re: Vacuum help!
I have had a Kenmore for the past nearly 15 years and it has done a decent job until recently! That is probably because it was getting ready to die! LOL!!!
User avatar

3 Pals

Cherry Bomb

Re: Vacuum help!
I have the first Dyson that came out and I like it just wish I waited for the ball... that looks cool.
ImageImage Image
Ann
User avatar

alykasn

Cherry Blossom

Re: Vacuum help!
I suggest shop around and demo a few. My kirby needed repairs totaling $350.00 from normal wear and tear. I couldn't see putting that much into it...they aren't very user friendly with stairs. I bought a Miele 7280 and I absolutely love it! It goes from tile to carpet with a flip of a switch. It's really quiet too. It is a bit pricey too at $599.00 but cheaper than another kirby. I could see a big difference in my carpet pile after the first use.
I thought the kirby was doing the job. A Ricarr is a good one too. I was impressed with the demo but preferred the Meile.
Tracie

My Blog : Tracesoffragrance.blogspot.com
Post Reply

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee