Skip to main content
World Card Making Day SALE! Take 15% off the regular price of everything, or 20% off orders $100+ with codeWCMD
Cherry Hunt Daily Progress 0/2000
User avatar

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!
THE WINNER OF THE $5 GIFT CARD, CHOSEN RANDOMLY, IS...#4 - NANA01 - NAN!

After taking a month off to leave room for all the NSD challenges in May, I'm back with one of the best books I've read in a while.

Image   

Theo's arrival in the sleepy southern town of Golden is as mysterious as it is sudden. Born and raised in Portugal by way of New York City, Theo is intentionally evasive about his background with everyone he meets.

"What's your last name?" "Oh, it's long and Portuguese and hard to pronounce. Just call me Theo."

"What brings you to Golden?" "I have some properties to look into."

"How long will you be staying?" "Who knows? Could be a few months, could be longer."

Each time he is asked about himself, Theo deftly avoids the question and turns the conversation back to his companion. He is intensely interested in people and, if he's learned anything in his 86 years, it's that you learn the most by observing and listening. Thus begins his most wild idea yet. On his first visit to a coffee shop called Chalice, Theo is mesmerized by the collection of framed pencil line portraits covering every wall. He discovers that they have all been done by a local artist and are all renderings of the various inhabitants of Golden. Theo decides that the portraits belong back with their subjects, so he launches a crusade to purchase each portrait, track down its subject, and hand deliver the drawing to its rightful owner. In doing so, he hopes to learn more about each person's story and the joy, sadness, and pain he sees rendered so beautifully in their pencil likenesses. Theo quickly becomes a familiar face in Golden and as his quest deepens, so does the mystery surrounding Golden's newest benefactor. Who is Theo, where did he come from, and why is he REALLY in Golden?

 
OPTION 1: TELL SOMEONE'S STORY
At the core of this novel is a beautiful story about humanity and the stories we all carry. So, for Option 1, tell someone's story. The layout should focus on one person (or animal - our pets are people, too!) and, while you can have multiple photos on the page, each photo should ONLY PICTURE the subject of your page. No group shots, no duos, just individual shots of your person/animal. Then, tell your subject's story. What joy and pain have they experienced in their life? What obstacles have they overcome? What characteristics define them? Make it at least 5 sentences to be able to fully tell their story.


OPTION 2: "THE FEDDER"
When Theo arranges his meet-ups to deliver each person their portrait, he always plans to meet at a bench next to the fountain in the center of town. In one of his favorite pieces of Golden trivia, he learns that the fountain is called "The Fedder" because of a dedication ceremony that took place years before in which a feather floated down from the sky and into the fountain and a boy in the audience shouted that "a peeth of fedder" (piece of feather) had fallen into the fountain. From then on, the fountain was called The Fedder.

In our lives, we often make up silly names for things. Sometimes, it's a person, sometimes it's an object, and often it's a name bestowed by a child. So, for Option 2, make a page about a name that's been given to something or someone and has stuck. Explain who named it, and tell the story behind the name.


The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due June 30th, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. If there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month, a second name will be drawn and that person will get an automatic entry for the following month.

Participating Cherries:

1. Donna_Coughlin
2. Cheryl E.
3. joannie
4. Nana01
5. stinkerbelle (EXTRA ENTRY FROM APRIL CHALLENGE)
6. Scraplifter
7. shoorn
5 users liked this post:
User avatar

KristinG

Cherry Cropper

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
I also read this book a couple months ago and absolutely loved it. Love your challenge options 💕
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage
 
User avatar

VickiR

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
I have this book on hold at the library!  Great options.  Hope I get the book in time to read before the challenge ends.
    ImageImage
User avatar

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
great options this month!
- joannie

  Image Image ImageImageImage
User avatar

Donna_Coughlin

Cherry Bing

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
I guess this one could be used for Option 1 or 2 depending how you interpert it. But this is the story of how we came up with his name. I spelled his name phonetically to do something different.
Image
1 user liked this post:
Donna
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar

Cheryl E.

Cherry Blossom

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
I created this layout with Option 1 in mind, but then I was faced with a problem. I think I got too personal on the journaling about the challenges my adopted son faced and how he is able to make us laugh in spite of them, and I didn't feel comfortable sharing it in public. So here is the layout, and there is a hidden journaling card behind the block of three photos, but I am just going to PM Rachel with my journaling so she can see I did it.
Image
2 users liked this post:
User avatar

Nana01

Cherry Bing

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
I bought this book and can’t put it down. Thank you for the suggestion. Now I just have to do the challenge but the book is soooo good !!
Just call me Nan - it's short and sweet
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
User avatar

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
Here is one for option #2.
My brother Jimmy could not pronounce "Indianapolis" correctly as a kid. It sounded like "Lamps".  My sister and I grew up thinking that our grandparents lived in "Lamps".
Image 
 
1 user liked this post:
- joannie

  Image Image ImageImageImage
User avatar

Nana01

Cherry Bing

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
Here is mine. I combined it with the 3 in a Row Challenge. My grandson Everett got the cute nickname Evie from his big brother who couldn't pronounce his name. 

Image

 
1 user liked this post:
Just call me Nan - it's short and sweet
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
User avatar

Scraplifter

Cherry Blossom

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
My focus is on my daughter and her last day of school. Her favorites and the feelings of seeing her walk this walk for the last time (she's entering high school next year).
 Image
 
User avatar

shoorn

Cherry Cola

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge
Opt 1 - Story about our cat Decker combined with Pet challenge
Image
Hi everyone!     My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

  ImageImage   ImageImage


Image




 
User avatar

Nana01

Cherry Bing

Re: June 2026 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER!
Thank you. It was a great book and a great challenge. 
Just call me Nan - it's short and sweet
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee

cron