Skip to main content
Cherry Hunt Daily Progress 0/1000
User avatar

Karyn_Sue

Cherry Garcia

October Journaling Challenge - Winner Update!
Hi cherries!

Back from my cruise with our winner! Congrats to #21 - Retiree3!

Image

Short story first. The reason I am so keen on journaling is that when my DGS was about 4 years old we were going thru his baby scrapbooks. I would give a simple synopsis of each page "oh here we are at the zoo" or "here is when you sister was born". Suddenly, on a page that had a lot of writing, he stopped me and said "Nana, read me the story". I suddenly realized he REALLY wanted to hear EVERYTHING I had to say - and if he wanted to hear it all at 4 - what about at 14 or 40. That DGS is now 10 years old, able to read, of course, and when he comes to my house not only does he STILL make a bee line to his scrapbooks to see what is new, but he reads their new pages to his younger sisters as well. My grandkids ignore the shelves of kids' books I have and instead "read" their scrapbooks.

So far, in the year I've been doing this, most of my challenges have only "required" a minimum amount of journaling: such as lists, the 4/5 W's or the use of journaling strips. And usually - that's really all there is to say. But sometimes there is a little more to the story behind the photos that isn't just a who, what, where, when and why. So, this month your challenge will be to write a little more - as my DGS says - to "tell the story". What does that mean? Well a story has a beginning, a middle and an end. (Sometimes there is a climax, between the middle and the end, but that is not always necessary.) We aren't talking about rewriting "War and Peace" here - but you do need a little more than where you are and what you're doing.

My first example is the layout I did for last month's rewind challenge of the August "Eyewitness Challenge" about my grandkids, especially that DGS, getting their COVID shots. I started with how anxious Penn was to get vaccinated. Then I talked about how he even volunteered to be in a research study. Finally, I closed with when he finally was eligible and was first in line.

Image

Here's another example of a story. I did this layout for the August Bash your Stash challenge. My son gave me "carte blanche = do what ever you need to do" to keep my DGD out of the house during the time the movers were there - including giving me his credit card! So - I did as he told me to. But then when I did - he was less than pleased with my choice of ice cream for dinner. LOL.

Image

Even though both of my examples are about situations involving people, your story could be about any person, place, thing, event, etc. It's YOUR layout and YOUR story!

BONUS: If your layout is about what my 2 example were about - either COVID (like my DGS wanting his vaccine so badly) or "not quite following/redefining/stretching the rules" - (like giving my DGD ice cream for dinner) - you get a bonus entry!

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Fine print (LOL):

1) Entries must be new single or double page layouts and may be digital or paper.
2) It must be obvious that you are telling a story. There has to be a beginning, middle or end - at least three sentences, but likely there will be more.
3) May be combined with one other challenge that allows combining.
4) Up to three entries allowed.
5) BONUS if related in somewhat to Covid or "breaking the rules". (Make sure to mention if you are claiming a bonus entry!!)
6) MOST IMPORTANT: HAVE FUN!

Entries will be due 10.31.22

One lucky winner of this Challenge will be chosen at random.

Participating cherries:

1. aheatfan
2. ScrappyRN74
3. traveler
4. MTCanuk
5. handerful
6. handerful (bonus)
7. yankeegirl
8. CarrieG
9. Donna_Coughlin
10. CarrieG
11. Sandy Jay
12. Amy Jo
13. aheatfan
14. traveler
15. aheatfan
16. traveler
17. shoorn
18. CynthiaB
19. QueenBee89
20. Berta R
21. Retiree3
22. scrappinmom99
23. scrappinmom (bonus)
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford
Image
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar

suewho372

Wild Cherry

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Super cute examples and I love both of your stories!
Susan
Image

                     
User avatar

KristinG

Cherry Cropper

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Always one of my favorite challenges. Love your examples, such cute pages ☺️
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage
 
User avatar

VickiR

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Great journaling challenge.  Your LOs are wonderful!
    ImageImage
User avatar

KristinG

Cherry Cropper

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Love this challenge - to me journaling is the most important part.  It was hard to make this layout but know I wanted to document this event and the feelings that I have been having.  I included the butterfly as a prayer that in time, all will be beautiful again.  ** These photos are not mine, all obtained from the internet. 

Image
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage
 
User avatar

Yankeegirl

Cherry Cola

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Your pages are always inspiring.  And I agree...a page without journaling is not worth making!  At 73, when I look back at my grandkids' pages, when I only slapped down the bare essentials (probably hurrying to get a page up for a challenge!!!), I crave the bigger story, because at my age, the memory really starts to fade!  We need to remember that those who might look at our books when we are gone will definitely want to hear the stories!

 
I'm currently experiencing life at the speed of 15 WTFs an hour.

Kathy


  Image  Image  Image Image  Image      
User avatar

ScrappyRN74

Cherry Bing

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Image
“Whatever you choose to do, leave tracks. That means don’t do it just for yourself. You will want to leave the world a little better for your having lived.” RBG

:) Trisha

ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar

Jolly Holly Scraps

Cherry Cropper

Re: October Journaling Challenge
THIS! I've got some pictures to scrap and some of them have more to them than what meets the eyes!
User avatar

blfonty

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Love this Journaling challenge!
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

Image.  Image.  Image  
User avatar

traveler

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Here's one from me, it's the story of my son's Ultimate frisbee team, senior year, last Spring. The journaling on the green tag talks about how the seasons started poorly, they worked hard and ended with 2 major victories. The journaling on the blue square continues with the information about the party shown in these photos and how my son won MVP.
Image

combined with the stash challenge
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

 
User avatar

MTCanuk

Cherry Cropper

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Finally have a journal worthy entry for your challenge.  
Also for Book Lover's Challenge.   

 Image  
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Leslee

 
User avatar

handerful

Cherry Cropper

Re: October Journaling Challenge
"The Covid-19 Pandemic forced us to change a lot of things in 2020.  One thing was how we celebrated Holidays.  We were forced to stay at home instead of visiting family and friends, so we started a new tradition.  We made gourmet hot cocoa and watched the Polar Express - something the kids had done with their classes in elementary school.   Christmas eve is the best time to bring out the kids in all of us.  It is never too late to keep believing."


Image
Image Image
RACHEL
User avatar

Karyn_Sue

Cherry Garcia

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Yankeegirl wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:41 pm
Your pages are always inspiring.  And I agree...a page without journaling is not worth making!  At 73, when I look back at my grandkids' pages, when I only slapped down the bare essentials (probably hurrying to get a page up for a challenge!!!), I crave the bigger story, because at my age, the memory really starts to fade!  We need to remember that those who might look at our books when we are gone will definitely want to hear the stories!

 

Thank you! I sometimes work on my own kid's pages and I can barely remember the details. Sometimes it comes back to me as I look at the photos. Sometimes the kids help with filling in some facts, but often I find they don't remember either. I hope that by reading their books, it helps my grandkids to preserve these memories.
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford
Image
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar

Karyn_Sue

Cherry Garcia

Re: October Journaling Challenge
JollyHollyScraps wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:19 pm
THIS! I've got some pictures to scrap and some of them have more to them than what meets the eyes!

I've actually done a page without a picture for an event that we cannot find the picture for! I wrote the story about the costumes the kids were wearing (Halloween 1988) - made cricut characters to represent the kids and mounted them on a white paper like a photo, and then included the story of how we couldn't find the picture that we all know exists - somewhere!
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford
Image
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar

Yankeegirl

Cherry Cola

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Sketch: Page Maps

The Story: Located in Huntington Beach State Park in Murrell's Inlet, S.C., this unique home was designed and built by Archer M. Huntington in 1931. His wife, Anna Hyatt Hunt, had developed TB, and the vast property was on the ocean beach. They only spent winters here. The design is Spanish and Moorish, with lots of bricks, huge rooms, and outdoor courtyards. It has 30 rooms, laid out on 3 sides of a courtyard. In the center is a 40 foot water tower. Outside, an animal enclosure housed bears, horses, monkeys, and a leopard!
Anna Huntington was a sculptor, renowned for her animal sculptures. She had two art studios in the home. The Huntingtons founded Brookgreen Gardens near their home. Both their home and the gardens are on the National Register of Historic Places.

Combined with Motivational #12:  add a brown element

Image
 
I'm currently experiencing life at the speed of 15 WTFs an hour.

Kathy


  Image  Image  Image Image  Image      
User avatar

CarrieG

Cherry Jubilee

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Image

Image
User avatar

Donna_Coughlin

Cherry Bing

Re: October Journaling Challenge
I recently found a bunch of pictures from Disney from when my kids were little. So I wrote about how I hope they remember the fun we had while in Adventureland, and how it was nearly impossible to get a good picture of all three of them without having one of them not smiling or making a funny face>
Image
Donna
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar

CarrieG

Cherry Jubilee

Re: October Journaling Challenge
Image
User avatar

SandyJay

Cherry Cola

Re: October Journaling Challenge
I used this for the Mix It Up challenge, but I needed to “tell the story” behind this piece of cloth.  I plan on doing a companion page with all the photos I captured with her in her favorite shirt.  
Image
User avatar

Amy Jo

Cherry Bomb

Re: October Journaling Challenge
My daughter taught me how to do a “pretty smile” while we waited for our lunch at Disneyland. The story still makes us laugh because now she HATES smiling without teeth!

Image
ImageImageImageImage
 
Post Reply

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee