Skip to main content
Cherry Hunt Daily Progress 0/1000
User avatar

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNERS!
Congratulations to this month's winners! #26, Scrapqueen141 (Jamie) is the winner of the $5 gift card, and #30, CelesteB (Celeste) is the winner of the automatic entry for February. Thanks to everyone who submitted a layout this month!

I usually like to start off the new year with some kind of inspirational, introspective, goal-setting book, but I haven't read one of those lately. So, here's a psychological thriller instead!

Image


After her husband has a schizophrenic episode in which he endangers the life of her family, Clare moves herself and her two daughters, Grace and Pip, to an idyllic north London community called Virginia Park. Gated, and set apart from the city that surrounds it, Virginia Park is home to many different types of residents. There is Rhea, the 84-year-old grandmother who has lived there her whole life and knows everything about everyone. There are well-to-do Adele and Leo with their three home-schooled daughters, Catkin, Fern, and Willow, and Leo's father Gordon, who has come to live with them for the summer. Fiona and her sons, the "beautiful" Dylan, and Robbie, quiet and learning disabled, of whom Dylan is fiercely protective. Cecelia, with her daughter, Tyler, independent and with a sizable chip on her shoulder, who is reluctant to let Grace and Pip into the well-constructed group the kids have formed, in which everyone knows his or her role. The children who live there have formed a protective sort of family, however, like all families, they have their problems and their secrets.

When, on the night of her 13th birthday, Grace is found unconscious, half-clothed, and in a pool of her own blood on the edge of Virginia Park's rose garden, the suspects are many. Could it have been Leo, over-affectionate and surrogate father to all the children in the Park? Or perhaps HIS own father, Gordon, who has long been known for his uncomfortable and inappropriate comments towards women? Might it have been Chris, Grace's father, newly released from his psychiatric treatment center, having another mental break? Or maybe it was just a childish prank that went too far? As the past begins to come together with the present, no one will admit to what really happened, so everyone becomes a suspect.


OPTION 1: MOTHER NATURE
The natural settings of the park and the garden feature prominently in the action of the book, so for Option 1, make a page about celebrating Mother Nature. This is more than just a flower sticker on the page. For this layout, the subject focus should be nature itself.

Image
Sample for Option 1, in which my daughter and I explored the creek and the woods near our house and she dubbed herself an "Adventure Explorer Person".


OPTION 2: ALLITERATION AWESOMENESS
I love the alliteration of the title, so for Option 2, I want you to recreate that alliteration for the title of your page. The subject of the page can be anything, but your title should follow the format of the title of the book: The ______________ in/of/and the ________________. Please note that the words that go in the blanks should start with the same letter, and do not have to rhyme unless you want them to. 

Examples of titles that are acceptable: The Belle of the Ball, The Man in the Moon, The Sword in the Stone, The Fast and the Furious, The Bold and the Beautiful

Examples of titles that are NOT acceptable: The Fox and the Hound, The Cat in the Hat, The Catcher in the Rye, The Color and the Shape, The War of the Roses


The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due January 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. If there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month, a second name will be drawn and that person will get an automatic entry for the following month.


Participating Cherries:
1. Breauxlabs
2. Donna_Coughlin
3. mperricel
4. joannie
5. SandyK1967
6. Breauxlabs
7. SandyK1967
7. LoreenC
8. Queenbee89
9. Deanna13
10. Donna_Coughlin
11. joannie
12. Donna_Coughlin
13. wendycrowe
14. QueenBee89
15. QueenBee89
16. ScrappyRN74
17. aheatfan
18. Breauxlabs
19. SandyJay
20. VickiR
21. traveler
22. Amy Jo
23. joannie
24. Tammey
25. shoorn
26. Scrapqueen141
27. shoorn
28. Heidi Moniz
29. Amy Jo
30. CelesteB
31. CelesteB
32. Deanna13
User avatar

Mommyof5~Misty

Cherry Bing

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Love your challenges!!! And always enjoy your summary of your chosen books! 
 Have a Wonderful Day!  ~Misty
 Image  Image   Image
 
User avatar

SandyJay

Cherry Cola

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
This is awesome!  I love your book reviews, and your creative challenges you draw from them!  
(Did anyone else look up the word ‘alliteration’?).  I had to!  LOL. 
Great challenge,  
User avatar

traveler

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
I like Lisa Jewell and I don't think I've read this, so I think I will buy this one in iBooks. I need a book to read. I like both ideas for this challenge. 
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

 
User avatar

ChrisC.

Cherry Addict

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Sounds like a great book and interesting options this month. 
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

 ImageImageImage Image
 
User avatar

CynthiaB

Cherry Picker

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
I always end up putting the books you use for your monthly challenges on my TBR list! This book sounds good. Thanks for the book rec and the challenge!
Image ImageImage
User avatar

beachlover

Cherry Addict

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
that book sounds great and love both options!
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
Image 
Image
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

 
User avatar

Jolly Holly Scraps

Cherry Cropper

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
The book sounds good, and I adore your LO!
User avatar

Breauxlabs

Cherry Bomb

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
This is my first!

Image
Kim
ImageImage
User avatar

Donna_Coughlin

Cherry Bing

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
I did Option1 - pictures of Key Deer in the Florida Keys.
Image
Donna
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar

mperricel

Cherry Blossom

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Here is "My Home on the Hill" (took me a while to figure out a picture that actually could fit a title with an alliteration!lol)
ImageGallery Link

This on is also for the Grab 5 Challenge
User avatar

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Image 
option #2 (title)
- joannie

  Image Image ImageImageImage
User avatar

SandyK1967

Cherry Garcia

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
I did option 1 celebrating nature, with a beautiful photo on our vacation in Florida of the beach after sunset. Combined with the Inky Fingers challenge.

Image
👋 ~~Sandy~~ 👋Image
 
User avatar

Breauxlabs

Cherry Bomb

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
For my second!

Image
Kim
ImageImage
User avatar

SandyK1967

Cherry Garcia

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Celebrating the colorful autumn trees (nature) in this layout. Combined with the Cherry Lift challenge.

Image
👋 ~~Sandy~~ 👋Image
 
User avatar

LoreenA

Cherry Garcia

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Sorry , cant delete this !
 
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar

QueenBee89

Cherry Cola

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
I went with Option 2! The Boy with the Birthday :)

Combined with Manufacturer with a Twist

Image
~Brandi  :)

Follow me on Instagram! @scrappy.boymama 

Image
ImageImage
User avatar

StacyLee

Cherry Garcia

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Great challenge! I have that book but haven’t read it yet, I’m just starting Lisa Jewel’s The Family Upstairs, love her books. I really want to carve out more time to read in 2023. 
Stacy

 ImageImageImage

 
User avatar

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Here's one using Option #1 Mother Nature. 😊

I combined with the Cherry Lift Challenge. 

Photos of sweet granddaughter Lucy who always rescues turtles when she sees them in the road. She always makes her Mom pull over. 💖
Loves Turtles
Image. 
Image Image ImageImage
User avatar

Donna_Coughlin

Cherry Bing

Re: January 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Heres a second one I did for Option 1, off to do the second option.
Image
Donna
ImageImageImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee