Skip to main content
Cherry Hunt Daily Progress 0/1000
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Layout help?
 This is the layout I'm working on. I have everything where I want it (the paper blocks need to be trimmed yet). There will be a slide out card with hidden journaling behind the green block with a ribbon tab. So far so good. BUT it looks too plain even for me.  (ETA: this is a scraplift of Cassie) :inlove:

What would you do to spruce this up?

Thanks for the help! :)

Image
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

Sus79

Cherry Cola

Re: Layout help?
I really like it as it is right now, but I agree that it is a bit plain. So I would go for some doodles, acturally loads of doodles, and mayby some bling/flowers/circles at the end of the doodles. JWIT :-D
ImageImageImageImageImage


User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Layout help?
Susanne_79 wrote:I really like it as it is right now, but I agree that it is a bit plain. So I would go for some doodles, acturally loads of doodles, and mayby some bling/flowers/circles at the end of the doodles. JWIT :-D

What kind of doodles and where would you put them?

ETA: I'm not a good doodler and I only have those 2 pieces of yellow. I'm skeered to screw them up.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Layout help?
 Maybe some bling swirlies like those by Say It In Crystals down the nearly solid color paper blocks..... ????
User avatar

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Layout help?
 Cute! The first thing that jumped out at me is maybe some more black to balance the title?  Maybe some thin, drawn border lines on each of the colored strips/blocks...?  You could even add some subtle embellishments at random spots on the lines, like bright buttons.  I can't wait to see it done!
User avatar

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Layout help?
 or a swirlie might be too much.... maybe a small bling flower on each block or a few random scattered little crystals?
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Layout help?
ScrapGoo wrote: Cute! The first thing that jumped out at me is maybe some more black to balance the title?  Maybe some thin, drawn border lines on each of the colored strips/blocks...?  You could even add some subtle embellishments at random spots on the lines, like bright buttons.  I can't wait to see it done!

This is where I was thinking of going. I have buttons! :)  What do you think about that yellow Jess? Should I layer something behind it or what?

This is for Bobby-I don't really want flowers on it. I was thinking of some stars, but other than on the border lines, wasn't sure where to put them?

Ann-I don't have any of those crystal thingies. :?
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Layout help?
 I'd sew on each one of the blocks, maybe add some buttons?
User avatar

terri04

Cherry Bing

Re: Layout help?
 try black brads running horizonal on the large squares, at a different height on each block.
User avatar

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Layout help?
-Tracy- wrote:
ScrapGoo wrote: Cute! The first thing that jumped out at me is maybe some more black to balance the title?  Maybe some thin, drawn border lines on each of the colored strips/blocks...?  You could even add some subtle embellishments at random spots on the lines, like bright buttons.  I can't wait to see it done!

This is where I was thinking of going. I have buttons! :)  What do you think about that yellow Jess? Should I layer something behind it or what?

This is for Bobby-I don't really want flowers on it. I was thinking of some stars, but other than on the border lines, wasn't sure where to put them?
Hmm.. I like the yellow!  Another idea would be to frame the entire thing with another cardstock color (or black)... you would have to trim down the yellow but it would add some detail.  I would put your stars or buttons just on the lines... stars would overlap onto the background too and you can use different sizes so they aren't all completely straight in a line, kwim? 
User avatar

Sus79

Cherry Cola

Re: Layout help?
-Tracy- wrote:
Susanne_79 wrote:I really like it as it is right now, but I agree that it is a bit plain. So I would go for some doodles, acturally loads of doodles, and mayby some bling/flowers/circles at the end of the doodles. JWIT :-D

What kind of doodles and where would you put them?

ETA: I'm not a good doodler and I only have those 2 pieces of yellow. I'm skeered to screw them up.
Something like swirls or like the one on the left. You could start by drawing it with a soft pencil, and then erace if it´s doesn´t look good ;)
Image

I would put them on the yellow and go in over the PP
ImageImageImageImageImage


User avatar

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Layout help?
 Also, I would keep whatever embellishment you choose on the smaller side... the pictures of the animals are too cute and you wouldn't want to detract from them! :-D
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Layout help?
 It's hard to switch from digi to paper mode-I'm so used to just being able to undo. Last lo I tried I ended up with all kinds of cut out stuff and stips of paper that didn't end up working out. SUCH a waste of supplies. :?

I'm really excited about this one and I want it to be perfect, kwim? I actually scrapped about something *meaningful* and even wrote out journaling!! (This was Bobby's favoritest book ever!)
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Layout help?
 OMG!  No crystals in your stash???!!!  You poor deprived scrapper!!! 

ummm.... maybe then a couple of buttons or stars or a few of both ....
User avatar

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Layout help?
 Just think of all the cards you can make with those scraps... :-D
User avatar

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Layout help?
AnnOminous wrote: OMG!  No crystals in your stash???!!!  You poor deprived scrapper!!! 

ummm.... maybe then a couple of buttons or stars or a few of both ....

Oh lordy girl my stash is so old it had dust on it!! I have a couple newer paper packs, and some thickers, but that's pretty much it for new stuff. :?

You paper girls make yours look so pretty-and mine looks so plain. :(
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
User avatar

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Layout help?
-Tracy- wrote:You paper girls make yours look so pretty-and mine looks so plain. :(
No no no!!  You are totally off to a great start and it is going to be FAB!  Besides, I look like Shrek because I am so green with envy over your digi skillz.  :greeninlove:
User avatar

sarahwhithers

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Layout help?
 I was thinking that adding some buttons would be a nice touch. I also agree that you should add in a few more black elements to go with the title. Maybe if you have some simple black rub-ons? That would work I think. :-D
Good luck! I think it's cute so far!
User avatar

Kimandasmo

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Layout help?
 I think it is fantatic--- I would maybe mat the strips on black to give them a little more pop....add some bling or buttons to them...and the little pieces you trim off I might add someplace on other strips...I cant wait to see it when you are done.
User avatar

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Layout help?
 I'd matt the journaling strips in black to make them stand out more.

Then add some handdrawn stitching to the colored blocks - just go with it.
Buttons and bling are good too.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
Post Reply

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee