Skip to main content
Just landed Fresh arrivals this week : Amber Ledgers, Pinkfresh Festive Fun, Honey Bee Acorn & Ember, and more! Shop New →
Cherry Hunt Daily Progress 0/1000
User avatar

SandyJay

Cherry Cola

YES TO THE DRESS! *WINNER*
Image
GinniG!

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PLAYED ALONG!!  LOVED ALL THE ENTRIES.

June is typically the month for weddings, although they take place at any time of the year.  I wanted to start a little challenge with wedding dresses!  I was YouTubing and came across the “Say Yes To The Dress” show in India.  The fabrics were gorgeous and the traditions rich.  So for this first challenge, I picked India, which is primarily Hindu.  They have different styles of the “lahenga”; a cropped top called a lahenga choli, a lahenga with a saree (long drapes of decorative fabric), and they can be made of bright bold colors or subtle pastels and they can be elaborate or simple.  I found that all of them were stunning.  

SO, without much more explanation on the traditions and meanings of their henna tattoos, bangles, nose rings, necklaces and the pre-wedding parties, the 2-3 day wedding celebrations which you can Google if you are interested, let us get to the challenge.  

NOW, PICK YOUR LAHENGA DRESS!  Will you say “yes to the dress?”  If you chose to say “YES TO THE DRESS”,  you are to use use 2 colors from the photo, (these 2 colors MUST BE THE MAIN COLORS of your project), and 2 inspirations from the dress or jewelry.  This is open to layouts, journal notebooks, and crafts!  (Sorry no cards). I must be able to tell what colors and inspirations you used.  

RULES; 
1.  Only ONE entry per person
2.  Use 2 colors from the photo (*add photo of dress you used or use the number of the order it appears). The colors must be the majority of colors on the page.  
3.  Use 2 inspirations from the DRESS or the JEWELRY  (List your inspirations)
4.  Due on the last day of the month, by midnight EST, post your entry on this thread.  Can be combined with 1 other challenge that allows it, and for the Team and 30 prompt challenge.  
5.  Random winner will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me.  
6.  If you do not meet the criteria you will not be entered into the drawing.

ENTRIES:
1. Cynthia Corbett
2. PEIhaven
3. KristinG
4. Hsblair 
5. Retiree3
6. Art_Teacher
7. Shoorn
8. Craftyshannon 
9. Deanna13
10. Donna_Coughlin
11. Joannie
12. JA_Mehess
13. Scrappinmom99
14. Breauxlabs
15. ScrappyRN74
16. VickiR 
17. GinniG
18. Wendycrowe
19. FoxyStamping
20. Lisn2cats
21. Monroe1218
22. Lilkoala3

INDIAN WEDDING LAHENGAS.    <——go to link for larger pictures!  

Image     Image       Image      Image   Image


Image     Image     Image      Image   Image   Image    Image   Image    Image   

IN ORDER TO VIEW THE PHOTOS LARGER, GO TO MY POST HERE: 
https://www.acherryontop.com/gallery/362931

Here is my example:  

I tried to match it with the dress in the 3rd photo; teals with the dusty mauve to match with the buildings behind the bride.  The inspirations were her earrings (pearls), the floral at the bottom third of her dress, the stenciling to mimic the embroidery, the fabric ribbon for her sari and lastly, the blue under the title like the blue at the hem of her dress.  
Image


 
User avatar

VickiR

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Oh this is way cool, Sandy!!  I love this idea.  I have a sari that a doctor I worked with in L&D gave to me years ago.  She no longer wore or wanted it and thought I could use the fabric. I believe it's buried somewhere in storage. Yards and yards of  red crepe fabric.  She showed me how to wear it by just folding over layers and tucking in fabric.  Very unique.
2 users liked this post:
    ImageImage
User avatar

KristinG

Cherry Cropper

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Gorgeous dresses, very cool challenge  😊
1 user liked this post:
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage
 
User avatar

SandyJay

Cherry Cola

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
VickiR wrote: ↑
Sat May 31, 2025 8:41 pm
Oh this is way cool, Sandy!!  I love this idea.  I have a sari that a doctor I worked with in L&D gave to me years ago.  She no longer wore or wanted it and thought I could use the fabric. I believe it's buried somewhere in storage. Yards and yards of  red crepe fabric.  She showed me how to wear it by just folding over layers and tucking in fabric.  Very unique.
How cool!  I loved looking at these dresses, every bride looks so lovely.  There are a LOT of customs, symbolism and traditions.  Very interesting to read about.  I hope you give this challenge a try!  
1 user liked this post:
User avatar

pawprints

Cherry Paws

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Awesome challenge and great inspiration!
1 user liked this post:
Image

Image Image Image  

 
User avatar

Nana01

Cherry Bing

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
I love this challenge. 
1 user liked this post:
Just call me Nan - it's short and sweet
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
User avatar

MTCanuk

Cherry Cropper

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Very cool, Sandy.  We have a neighbor who adapted a girl from India and when she got married they brought a lot of Indian traditions into her wedding. All her bridesmaids wore saris. 
2 users liked this post:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Leslee

 
User avatar

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
This will be interesting! Thanks for hosting! 😊
1 user liked this post:
Image Image ImageImage
User avatar

SandyJay

Cherry Cola

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
MTCanuk wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 01, 2025 7:49 am
Very cool, Sandy.  We have a neighbor who adapted a girl from India and when she got married they brought a lot of Indian traditions into her wedding. All her bridesmaids wore saris. 

I would love to see pictures!  The first birthday is very important in Korea, and since we adopted two of out 3 kids from Korea, we had the special Tol party for them.  The foster families sent the traditional clothing with them.  I have some pages of it in my gallery.  
1 user liked this post:
User avatar

wimom

Cherry Garcia

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Wow -- beautiful inspiration from those dresses!
1 user liked this post:
Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin
Image
User avatar

SandyK1967

Cherry Garcia

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
There are so many to choose from!  Very cool challenge!
1 user liked this post:
👋 ~~Sandy~~ 👋Image
 
User avatar

karen c.

Cherry Bomb

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Sandy what a unique creative challenge! The dresses are beautiful!
1 user liked this post:
ImageImageImage          ImageImage
User avatar

Cynthia Corbett

Cherry Picker

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
I chose the 3rd picture with the blue dress and the pink building.
So my colors were mainly pink and blue.
Image
The design all over the dress skirt inspired the flowers scattered on the flourish.
The flourish was inspired by the wrap she had around her shoulders and waist.
2 users liked this post:
Image
Image
User avatar

PEIhaven

Cherry Picker

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
I chose dress 9, for its pretty shades of blue and purple.  I also took inspiration from the pearls, and the circles/stripes on the dress.  I used an Echo Park stencil (NSD order freebie; thanks ACOT); also journaling elements from Prima’s A Mermaid’s Tale.  Image
4 users liked this post:
User avatar

KristinG

Cherry Cropper

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
This is the dress I chose but they are all gorgeous. I went with the pink and green florals from the dress. In the left hand corner there is a rub-on of trailing flowers like in the dress, though it is hard to see. From the jewelry, I used gold sequins like the gold circles in her rings and pearls from her necklace. Also used gold letters for the gold in the rings. This challenge was hard but fun. 
Image

Here is the layout:
Image
2 users liked this post:
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage
 
User avatar

Monroe1218

Cherry Cropper

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Saving my spot...

This is the beautiful lahenga dress I chose! (#4)
Image

​​​​​​Image

I used the pink and white/cream featured in the beautiful dress.  My inspirations were the layers and edging on the dress - seen using layers of paper (especially bottom right corner, there are 3 layers there...) and also the scalloped edging on the doily,  I also drew inspiration from what appeared to be large pearls, shown by the scrolled pearl embellishment around the photo.
1 user liked this post:
Rebecca
Image
 
User avatar

hsblair

Cherry Garcia

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Although I feel like the feel of the layout is more the yellow dress, this is the one I chose because of the colors (gold/orange)
Image
and here is my layout:
Image
My inspirations are the borders at the top and bottom of the skirt, and the tone-on-tone patterns in the fabric (particularly the sheer gold in the veil and the green triangular panel in the scarf) look like my patterned papers.
2 users liked this post:
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar

hsblair

Cherry Garcia

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
Also, you don't specify, but is it ok to combine this with another challenge?  I also plan to submit it to the kid challenge, but if it's not allowed, I won't.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar

Retiree3

Wild Cherry

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
I was inspired by the colors blue and teal. I was also inspired by the pearls in her necklace and the blue lines along the back of her dress.
ImageImage
1 user liked this post:
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]




 
User avatar

Art_Teacher

A Cherry on Top

Re: YES TO THE DRESS!
I love the colors of this one!  I was inspired by the teal & purple colors and the flowers and small, white dots. I combined this with the June Manufacturer with a Twist.

Image
Image
1 user liked this post:
Laura
 Image    Image     Image
Post Reply

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee