Hi Cherries! I feel like I have not been around much, only popping in to check on bingo. Since the summer, life has just been moving so fast. Long story short (because I could go on and on but I won't!), our landlord "might" be selling the building. There are 3 apartments and we are on the 3rd floor. It's a walkup so...ugh...not getting any younger lol. Our three "must-haves" are: an elevator (no walkups!), an on-site laundry facility (no more dragging a week's worth of laundry through the snow!), and walking distance of the subway. We've decided to be proactive and start looking for a new apartment. The big question is do we rent or buy (co-op / condo). Buying means dipping into retirement $ but the rents are so high that doing that might be better in the long run if we can lower the monthly costs. But the HOA fees are also crazy so...ugh. It's been like a full-time job keeping track of looking for apts, scheduling viewings, contacting agents, getting pre-approved, dealing with financial stuff - like OMG this is too much adulting lol. We've always been renters so this is a whole new world to us. I had to convince DH (because he kept getting offended) that getting pre=approved for a mortgage is part of the process because he kept telling agents..."but I have the money for the down payment". Okay but anybody could just say that lol - we need to be vetted etc. Anyhoo....between this and starting to declutter I have had no time for anything fun like scrapping. And DH thinks I need to declutter my scrappy stuff!!! (And I just ordered some more, hahahaha!) We do need to declutter because we are likely going from 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms to 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom. And DD has never lived without a 2nd bathroom! And I really think the secret to a good marriage has been having a boys bathroom and a girls bathroom, LOL!!! So, if you have any tips/advice about buying, mortgages, other stuff that we don't even know we don't know (lol), I'd appreciate any of it! Now off to do more decluttering...ugh...(meanwhile I took DD to the DDS today and that means the thrift store and we got more stuff instead of decluttering, haha!)
1 user liked this post:
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Wow, Anne-Marie! That is a whole lot of adulting. I hope you find what you are looking for and soon! I am no help in the decluttering department, though. Hugs!
Laura


Oh boy that is a lot. I don’t have any advice on getting a new place but wish you all the best with your search.
i do love to declutter so the advice I would give is if you haven’t touched it in a year and it’s not a sentimental item, ditch it or donate it.
i do love to declutter so the advice I would give is if you haven’t touched it in a year and it’s not a sentimental item, ditch it or donate it.
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"





Moving is stressful no matter when and where. Some things just raise the level of stress. We have moved 8 times in our married years with DH's job. It was great when we retired and knew it was the last move. Although DHs company moved us 4 of those 8, the other 4 were on us. I packed boxes and made sure to label the contents using a sharpie. As far as decluttering, we did it with every move. Is it an absolute need/must, what will happen to it when I'm gone which helps determine if it's worth keeping too. Also, what type of storage is available in the new residence? Do I need 3 skillets/frying pans when I only use the same one each time? I know it's difficult to let go of "stuff" but it became easier each time. And being pre-approved for a mortgage is a must regardless if you have a down payment. Financing the balance needs to be approved not the down payment. It also gives you better buying leverage if the seller knows you have already had loan approval. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck with finding what you need and moving.
Not sure what the market is like in your area, but around here you must be pre-approved because there are multiple offers on all "good" properties and your offer won't even be considered if you don't have your financing lined up. Definitely a seller's market. Throw in the current high mortgage interest rates and it's a rough time to be a buyer. An elevator and on-site laundry would definitely make the move worthwhile though! I wish you so much luck!
Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin

Eeek! I'm stressed out just reading your post. Good luck with EVERYTHING.
Since y'all are First Time Buyers, look and see if your state has any First Time Home Buyer Programs. Texas has them, but we didn't go that route as DH used his VA loan.
As for decluttering, I agree with Kristin. If you haven't used it in over a year, Donate or Toss It. If something is broken, toss it, you don't need it. And remember, Paperwork is considered to be clutter too. For tax purposes, keep up to 7 years, but toss everything else. Receipts from groceries and other things can usually go immediately.
Decluttering can overwhelm you FAST, so take a timer, set it for 30 mins during the day, each day. Start with ONE ROOM. And go from there. Some rooms will be easier than others. Like the Bathrooms. Usually that's just personal hygiene products, medications and towels. BUT!!! Start tossing out those expired products and medications. Got towels that are little rough, or starting to get holes? Donate them to a vet's office or a local pet shelter. They can ALWAYS use them.
Also, create a spreadsheet of your expenses NOW based on your income. That will also help give you some real financial insight.
Good Luck!
Since y'all are First Time Buyers, look and see if your state has any First Time Home Buyer Programs. Texas has them, but we didn't go that route as DH used his VA loan.
As for decluttering, I agree with Kristin. If you haven't used it in over a year, Donate or Toss It. If something is broken, toss it, you don't need it. And remember, Paperwork is considered to be clutter too. For tax purposes, keep up to 7 years, but toss everything else. Receipts from groceries and other things can usually go immediately.
Decluttering can overwhelm you FAST, so take a timer, set it for 30 mins during the day, each day. Start with ONE ROOM. And go from there. Some rooms will be easier than others. Like the Bathrooms. Usually that's just personal hygiene products, medications and towels. BUT!!! Start tossing out those expired products and medications. Got towels that are little rough, or starting to get holes? Donate them to a vet's office or a local pet shelter. They can ALWAYS use them.
Also, create a spreadsheet of your expenses NOW based on your income. That will also help give you some real financial insight.
Good Luck!
Brandy





That is a whole lot of adulting... Here my advice...
Be strategic in boxing, storing your stuff. If you plan right, you don't need to declutter... just reorganize.
I wish you both the best of luck in finding the right fit!
Be strategic in boxing, storing your stuff. If you plan right, you don't need to declutter... just reorganize.
I wish you both the best of luck in finding the right fit!

Word of 2026 - MINDFUL
Moving and buying a place is always stressful. I agree with what everyone said about the pre-approval. You can still switch mortgage companies after you are under contract. My suggestion with all of this is to get 2 bathrooms if you possibly can. Sharing a bathroom with a teenager or young adult is not a good idea. Good luck.
Louise


Art_Teacher wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:30 pmWow, Anne-Marie! That is a whole lot of adulting. I hope you find what you are looking for and soon! I am no help in the decluttering department, though. Hugs!
Thanks, Laura! We have an appt on Sunday morning to see 2 apartments. One of them we really want!! If nothing goes horribly wrong we might make an offer for it. Keep your fingers crossed!
(and as you can tell, I'm decluttering then going thrifting LOL!)
1 user liked this post:
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
I've been doing some "Swedish Death Cleaning" for a while here and there so that was kind of relaxing but now it's like okay chop chop we don't have too much time. Erg...
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
I should have mentioned...we've moved 4 times in the 30+ years we've been together, but we've been here 16 years, and the place before here was 15 years. We had to move with two young kids in January (so had to pack up Christmas on top of regular!). So we've (I've!) had time to accumulate stuff. Last time I remember having so much stuff I called for a Goodwill pickup truck. But that was a lot of outgrown kids clothes and toys - I don't think I'll have enough for a pickup this time around. DD and I can make a few trips with bags to the local thrift store and try not to bring anything home, haha. If we were to get the apartment we really like, it seems (from the pictures, we shall see in person on Sunday) to have closets out the wazoo, which is unusual for NYC apartments. The kitchen is small though and DH is not thrilled but there is a dining room so we can expand the kitchen a little. I'm talking like I live there already lol - I need to stop doing that.VickiR wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:32 pmMoving is stressful no matter when and where. Some things just raise the level of stress. We have moved 8 times in our married years with DH's job. It was great when we retired and knew it was the last move. Although DHs company moved us 4 of those 8, the other 4 were on us. I packed boxes and made sure to label the contents using a sharpie. As far as decluttering, we did it with every move. Is it an absolute need/must, what will happen to it when I'm gone which helps determine if it's worth keeping too. Also, what type of storage is available in the new residence? Do I need 3 skillets/frying pans when I only use the same one each time? I know it's difficult to let go of "stuff" but it became easier each time. And being pre-approved for a mortgage is a must regardless if you have a down payment. Financing the balance needs to be approved not the down payment. It also gives you better buying leverage if the seller knows you have already had loan approval. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck with finding what you need and moving.
I finally convinced him that a preapproval was a must-do so we have done that already and have our budget and an agent is sending us stuff. So...one step at a time I guess.
2 users liked this post:
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
wimom wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:26 amNot sure what the market is like in your area, but around here you must be pre-approved because there are multiple offers on all "good" properties and your offer won't even be considered if you don't have your financing lined up. Definitely a seller's market. Throw in the current high mortgage interest rates and it's a rough time to be a buyer. An elevator and on-site laundry would definitely make the move worthwhile though! I wish you so much luck!
Probably the same here. Nobody really wanted to do anything for us when we said we weren't pre-approved but now they can't do enough for us LOL! So I guess that makes all the difference. So much adulting though. We have to fill out a bunch of financial stuff before she will show us the places on Sunday. Yeah we really need to get out of the walkup. It was something we'd been talking about for a while, but our rent is so cheap here because the landlord's mom lived downstairs from us and we would keep an eye on her, shovel snow, take out the garbage etc. But she passed away over the summer and now the sons "might" sell by the end of the year so...not really sure what the timeline is. They still have not cleaned her apartment so we don't know what's happening but want to be proactive rather than reactive.
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Oh Anne-Marie!!! Way too much adulting and stress! But you’ll be settled in somewhere fairly soon and then you can start relaxing. Meanwhile remember to take good care of yourself. It seems like it’s taking precious time away from all the “things” but in the long run you’ll be glad you did. Keep your immune system and your mental health protected as much as possible. It’s a really hard thing to go through but you’ve got this my Cherry friend!!! {{{HUGS}}} and prayers that you find the perfect place at the right price really soon!!! 









That IS a lot of adulting Anne-Marie! I wish you the best in finding a new place all your own!
As for decluttering, if you have things that have been sitting around for years not being used, then donate them. I've been doing that in my own house and I'm not even moving lol. The accumulation of stuff when you've been in a place a very long time is overwhelming. New things come in, but not much leaves. So rather than bring it with you, give it away. When I am trying to decide I convince myself that someone else will get good use out of it. Also, when packing, label your boxes for each room nice and large, even on multiple sides, so it is easy to see so they can easily be dropped into the rooms they belong.
Other advice… are you really sure you can survive with only one bathroom? Lol.
As for decluttering, if you have things that have been sitting around for years not being used, then donate them. I've been doing that in my own house and I'm not even moving lol. The accumulation of stuff when you've been in a place a very long time is overwhelming. New things come in, but not much leaves. So rather than bring it with you, give it away. When I am trying to decide I convince myself that someone else will get good use out of it. Also, when packing, label your boxes for each room nice and large, even on multiple sides, so it is easy to see so they can easily be dropped into the rooms they belong.
Other advice… are you really sure you can survive with only one bathroom? Lol.

Wow - that is a lot of adulting! Wishing you luck on Sunday that you will find what you want. Moving is always stressful. Hope allk goes well.
Hi everyone! My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!







blbabe1234 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:23 amEeek! I'm stressed out just reading your post. Good luck with EVERYTHING.
Since y'all are First Time Buyers, look and see if your state has any First Time Home Buyer Programs. Texas has them, but we didn't go that route as DH used his VA loan.
As for decluttering, I agree with Kristin. If you haven't used it in over a year, Donate or Toss It. If something is broken, toss it, you don't need it. And remember, Paperwork is considered to be clutter too. For tax purposes, keep up to 7 years, but toss everything else. Receipts from groceries and other things can usually go immediately.
Decluttering can overwhelm you FAST, so take a timer, set it for 30 mins during the day, each day. Start with ONE ROOM. And go from there. Some rooms will be easier than others. Like the Bathrooms. Usually that's just personal hygiene products, medications and towels. BUT!!! Start tossing out those expired products and medications. Got towels that are little rough, or starting to get holes? Donate them to a vet's office or a local pet shelter. They can ALWAYS use them.
Also, create a spreadsheet of your expenses NOW based on your income. That will also help give you some real financial insight.
Good Luck!
Thanks for the reminder about the programs. I mentioned to DH but he doesn't want more "loans" and I told him I think it's a grant. So yeah we gotta check into that. I've started decluttering with the games and media. So that's a start...not sentimental either lol. Well, maybe a little. You sound like Flylady (who remembers / follows her?) - "you can do anything for 15 minutes". I have the attention span of a gnat so I need the timer to keep me on pace to actually do it and not ... oh look a squirrel! Right now is a lull in my work - two authors flaked out on me so I have a weeklong hole in my schedule. I'm trying to get as much decluttering / cleaning done as possible. Tonight we have an appointment to look at another apartment. It's so tiring. DH gets home around 7 and the appt is at 7:30 and then we'll come home and eat dinner. DD was going to come with us to see it but got a last-minute invite to a theater networking thing so we'll take pics for her.
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
thanks - it is too much adulting all at once lol! One of the agents asked if I wanted to "hop on a Zoom call" to discuss finances. Nope!! I am not the one to talk to about that -- a) hearing loss and b) math anxiety LOL! As for decluttering - we can stand to get rid of some stuff. Not as much stuff as DH wants to get rid of though LOL! Oh he loves organizing.
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
trainmom wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:11 amMoving and buying a place is always stressful. I agree with what everyone said about the pre-approval. You can still switch mortgage companies after you are under contract. My suggestion with all of this is to get 2 bathrooms if you possibly can. Sharing a bathroom with a teenager or young adult is not a good idea. Good luck.
I would love 2 bathrooms but most of the 2 bedroom apts have only 1 bathroom. It's not DD that's the issue lol. We have two bathrooms now - full and half. She and I share the half-bath with no problem. It's DH that will have the most adjusting. He likes things "just so" and we are a bit more...free-spirited hahaha!!! I think part of the secret to our long and happy marriage so far has been having a boys bathroom and a girls bathroom LOL!!!
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
GinniG wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:17 pmOh Anne-Marie!!! Way too much adulting and stress! But you’ll be settled in somewhere fairly soon and then you can start relaxing. Meanwhile remember to take good care of yourself. It seems like it’s taking precious time away from all the “things” but in the long run you’ll be glad you did. Keep your immune system and your mental health protected as much as possible. It’s a really hard thing to go through but you’ve got this my Cherry friend!!! {{{HUGS}}} and prayers that you find the perfect place at the right price really soon!!!
Thanks for the hugs and prayers, Ginni! (love your emojis!) The crazy thing is that if we buy...it would be a "forever home" and even though we've lived here for 16 years and the previous apt for 15 years...as renters you never know how long you're going to stay and don't want to invest in certain things (a new air conditioner for instance) but it would be a different story if we buy. I do need to declutter the scrappy area a bit so maybe I can do something fun.
1 user liked this post:
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
I think we can make a dent in decluttering, but we have to declutter some furniture too and that's going to be fun once we get wherever we're going and have to get new rugs and furniture. We don't get new things so much as wear things down so much that they just have to be replaced lol. As for the boxes - Dh has already "saved for later" on Amazon a bunch of boxes and packing supplies, including big Sharpies for labeling. He's really organized. I am not. I just do what he says (mostly). as for the bathroom...that remains to be seen. I mean, DH and I grew up with only 1 bathroom for the whole family. DD has never had less than 2 bathrooms lol. This will be interesting.pawprints wrote: ↑Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:27 pmThat IS a lot of adulting Anne-Marie! I wish you the best in finding a new place all your own!
As for decluttering, if you have things that have been sitting around for years not being used, then donate them. I've been doing that in my own house and I'm not even moving lol. The accumulation of stuff when you've been in a place a very long time is overwhelming. New things come in, but not much leaves. So rather than bring it with you, give it away. When I am trying to decide I convince myself that someone else will get good use out of it. Also, when packing, label your boxes for each room nice and large, even on multiple sides, so it is easy to see so they can easily be dropped into the rooms they belong.
Other advice… are you really sure you can survive with only one bathroom? Lol.
1 user liked this post:
Happy Scrapping, cherries!
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Hugs, Anne-Marie
Information
Moderators













